Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Cable Box Hidden..need IR..but how do i do it

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bkchristopher Posted - 07/03/2010 : 1:23:48 PM
Ok, first off, I'm not real up on all this. I need some help. I am adding a room on to my house and placing my 52" samsung lcd tv above the gas fireplace...which i will rarely use(fireplace that is). I want to put my cable box and blu ray player in the cubboard in the kitchen though. It will be about 25 feet from the tv hidden. Now, how do i get it so I can use a controller to change channels. What IR add on do i need and what all do i need. Do i need a special controller too? All and any help will be appreciated by you experts...thanks so much

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 07/05/2010 : 6:49:08 PM
You'll need the necessary AV cables between the TV, cable box, and Blu-ray player. To allow for upgrades, you should run conduit between the devices. Make sure the conduit is large enough for the ends of all the cableS (note emphasis).

You won't need wiring for the remote.
oberkc Posted - 07/05/2010 : 10:54:31 AM
You have been given two links already. None require any particular wiring between devices.
bkchristopher Posted - 07/04/2010 : 10:03:29 PM
I have just one remote that works with my TV and cable box. I never tried to link my blu ray player with the controller which i probably could do. I simply need a way to change the channels on the cable box and turn volume up/down and tv off with the controller while the box is in the adjacent room. It should be easy but I need a link so I know what to purchase. The room is still in studs so I want to run the necessary wire soon. Thanks again
stusviews Posted - 07/03/2010 : 9:09:00 PM
This works with your existing remote

IR to RF to IR Remote Control Range Extender Kit

But if you use more than one remote, then the remote linked to by oberkc may be a better choice.
oberkc Posted - 07/03/2010 : 7:14:14 PM< c

This is the one I have and use, and would work for you, I suspect. It is all that you would need hardware-wise. Harmony has similar devices. This is a learning remote, but has built-in codes for many devices.

Still, I would check out the manuals for your Samsung TV (look for "CEC" or "Anynet"). Do the same for your cable box. It is very possible that you can use your TV remote to change the channels on your cable box. While you state you don't care about this, I expect you can also control your bluray player this way. It costs nothing and can work very well. You may need to turn this feature on through your menus. This assumes that you connect your devices via HDMI, of course.

bkchristopher Posted - 07/03/2010 : 5:48:23 PM
So if I go with the RF route, do I need to purchase a new controller and base station? I have a new phillips blu ray player and a year old samsung 52 inch touch of color LCD TV. Im still confused.

Do you need to buy a bunch of things or can i buy one product and make this work? All i need is to change channels on tv, volume, and could care less if the dvd player worked via controller. I can manually do that. Thanks for your help.

any links on what to buy?
oberkc Posted - 07/03/2010 : 3:29:43 PM
I suspect this is a pretty common problem. My own equipment is in a separate cabinet. In my mind you have two options that are reasonable: RF remotes and HDMI CEC.

RF remotes use radio to transmit signals to a base station, which convert the signals to IR and "blast" the components. This works pretty well, for me at least. Several companies make these kinds of remotes, including harmony and universal remote.

Newer is the "CEC" HDMI signal. This actually sends control signals through the HDMI cable to compatible components. TVs can communicate with recievers, DVD players can talk to cable boxes. If your components are pretty new, you may already have this capability. Your TV remote can control all your other components. Sometimes, however, certain functions don't work across different brands. Frustrating. Still, I have found this to be a workable solution.

But wait! I saw an announcement of an agreement with a new standard to use Cat-6 cable to transmit everything between home theater components. This comes out later this year, theoretically.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07