Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 1132CU + SmartHome + Vista Patch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alounsbury Posted - 12/23/2006 : 5:35:41 PM
OK folks - here's the deal.

If you try to install smarthome manager on a Vista x64 or x32 computer - the setup will detect an unsupported OS and ABORT! Does not even try to finish the install.

I contacted Tech Support and they informed me that no patch is currently planned at this time to support Vista. I sure hope that changes.

Now - if you have Smarthome already installed on an XP computer and UPGRADE that computer to Vista x32 - it works (Note 32 bit not 64 bit). This does not help me though since that computer is NOT close to the 1132CU and that computer is on the other phase in the house - so moving the 1132CU does not help me in my setup.

If someone has a work around to make SmartHome install on Vista - let us know.

Thanks Al

Moderator note: A user has now created a patch for using the 1132CU/CUP with Vista. Instructions appear later in this thread!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sbcnslt Posted - 12/19/2011 : 08:38:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bobfwilliams

If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message “The Operating System is not adequate for running Smarthome Manager”.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

The SmartHome Manager software was packaged into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

• Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, …

• Extract Windows Installer package for SmartHome Manager software. We can't modify the .exe file itself, so we let the .exe file create a .msi file, which we can modify. Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a The /a runs the installation in administrative mode, which creates the Windows installer package from Smarthome, then pauses to allow the user to approve continuing. This allows us to find and extract the SmartHome Manager Windows installer package (the file name is SmartHome Manager.msi). To find the package, in a command window cd %temp%, or in Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Look for a folder very recently created, and with a funny (not ha-ha) name. Before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the Smarthome Manager.msi to a separate folder on your hard drive.

• Copy other installation files. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won’t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

• Download and install Orca. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319, click on Download orca.msi. Install Orca by clicking on orca.msi. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it’s part of the Windows Installer SDK, the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905, and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca.

• Modify Installer Package. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

• Install ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from www.microsoft.com/downloads/, System Tools, search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

• Run installation with ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, Compatibility Administration. Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) – you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering each part of the location: C:\, then select the folder from the choices given, then add a \, then select the file name, etc. Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run… On the window "Test run application", click OK. This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

• Change the SmartHome program file to compatibility mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

• Start SmartHome Manager.

• Celebrate.

It's a good thing I'm retired. This took me many dozens of hours to figure out.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Bob,

I followed your instructions for installing the Snarthome Manager on Vista. After using Orca and deleteing the line I launced ACT pointed to the MSI and clicked next. The message I get is This version supports compatability fixes to 32 bit apps. Use the 64 bit tool to fix your 64 bit app. I guess Orca saved the MSI as a 64 bit MSI. I checked Orca's setting and found no save as 32 bit. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Steve
GR8PIPES Posted - 10/11/2011 : 08:55:48 AM
VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION!No convoluted instructions that are not for the faint of heart. It really is as simple as running the .exe in compatibility mode. Here's all I did to get it to work.
Right-click on the .exe file and choose “Troubleshoot compatibility”. In a matter of seconds I have SmartHome installed and running perfectly. BTW: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Big thanks to kjb4zz

quote:
Originally posted by ronks

Hoo-ee! Just got Smarthome Manager installed on my new Windows 7 system. (If anyone is keeping track, it's the Manager Plus version on a 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate.) Thanks to everyone for the thorough advice and suggestions. I used the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option, but blueberrybob's guidelines were my backup in case.

One small point I can add to the discussion: if you have the Smarthome Manager CD, you might be tempted to execute install.exe from its home directory; that gave me an error over the .ini file. What worked was to go down one level to the "Smarthome Manager" folder and run setup.exe directly from there.

bobfwilliams Posted - 04/11/2011 : 5:08:27 PM
The safe approach would be to save off everything that you used, modified, or created. It doesn't take that much room (at least not compared to the capacity of a CD or DVD). Outside of the using the vastly easier installation / modification for Windows 7, I haven't tried to put together a simplified process.
foiltravis Posted - 04/11/2011 : 08:48:03 AM
Hi Bob: The ACT Version 5.0 you sent me worked perfectly, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!

Now the next question, what do I need to copy onto a CD so that next time this will install without me having to go through the entire process again.
foiltravis Posted - 04/11/2011 : 05:52:21 AM
Hi Bob: I tried searching for Ver 5.5 but it seemed everytime I found a link to 5.5 it actually led to Microsoft which went to the new version. Thanks for the offer and I have sent you an e-mail.

If anyone else happens to have a version that is already patched I would appreciate having it sent to me.
bobfwilliams Posted - 04/11/2011 : 04:13:02 AM
I have a version of ACT which, if it is responsible for the problem you're having, might do the trick. It's version 5.5, and dated (probably just the date I downloaded it) 11/16/2009. It's also 11 MB. If you can tell me how to get that to you, I'll be happy to send it. You might also be able to find somewhere that you can download it, now that you know the version number. I won't be able to do much on it until tonight. Let me know if you still need for me to send it to you.

foiltravis Posted - 04/09/2011 : 12:52:45 PM
Can someone send me the patched file for Vista? I have followed Bob's directions but when I attempt to run the installation via ACT I get an error about the MSI file not being 32bit, might have something to do with ACT now being newer than the version he used.

Thanks
teuhl Posted - 03/14/2010 : 3:57:11 PM
I need a patch for Smarthome to run under VISTA. Can anyone help?
ronks Posted - 12/28/2009 : 4:07:25 PM
Hoo-ee! Just got Smarthome Manager installed on my new Windows 7 system. (If anyone is keeping track, it's the Manager Plus version on a 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate.) Thanks to everyone for the thorough advice and suggestions. I used the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option, but blueberrybob's guidelines were my backup in case.

One small point I can add to the discussion: if you have the Smarthome Manager CD, you might be tempted to execute install.exe from its home directory; that gave me an error over the .ini file. What worked was to go down one level to the "Smarthome Manager" folder and run setup.exe directly from there.
MikeS Posted - 12/07/2009 : 2:17:45 PM
FYI: X10 has a new program (ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A) that their forums report works well in VISTA and controls Smart Home modules. I haven't used it myself, but not wanting to get Windows 7 yet or a new computer at $50 it's cheaper than W7 and does more than Smarthome's manager essential like linking to security systems and video. I'll report if I do get it.

I did ask in a previous post if anyone could sent the patch for installing SME on a VISTA machine. If so thanks.
bobfwilliams Posted - 12/07/2009 : 10:52:53 AM
The whole point of the elaborate modifications which I developed to get the SmartHome software to run under Vista was to bypass a single instruction in the setup program. That instruction checked on the version of the operating system, and terminated when it didn't get the right answer. Running setup in XP compatibility mode should have given an acceptable answer to that check. It did not in Vista, but it does now in Windows 7.

Yeah!
kjb4zz Posted - 12/07/2009 : 09:34:30 AM
Using W7 Home Premium----

As a side note--when we purchased the upgrade from Best Buy the floor guy tried to push Pro/Ultimate as they had Windows XP Program capability...but this is purely for running an XP shell and letting the older programs run in a different environment.

The compatibility mode function seems to install the program in Windows 7 but alters the installation to get around the issues Bob addressed in his workarounds. I don't know what the OS did....but after spending multiple hours figuring out if I should try Bob's fixes, buying a new program, downloading a trial, etc.....I was relieved and surprised there was this feature. Hats off to Microsoft....

quote:
Originally posted by nhw3w

can you confirm that you are using W7 pro or ultimate...don't think the other versions have compatibility built in...

MikeS Posted - 12/06/2009 : 5:40:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lgmerx

Smarthome has aptly demonstrated their total disinterest in customer support to many of us over the years. When I first got my 1132CU (in 2004), I reported numerous software bugs and made many suggestions for how they could improve their application and the basic functionality of the controller. I never even got a response from them.

Several months ago, I bought a new PC and chose Vista for it. Like others in this forum, I found SHM could not install. I didn't even bother to contact Smarthome, based on the effectiveness of that approach on earlier issues.

I am familiar with the internal similarities and differences between Vista and its predecessors, so I decided to try modifying the installation program to allow Vista as a valid target platform. After running the modified installation script, SHM installed successfully. It appears to work fine and I have been using it ever since.

If anyone would like a copy of the patched installation program, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. No warranties, but I suspect it'll install and work fine on other Vista machines.

would you please send the copy of the patched installation program for SHM/1132CU to install on VISTA. Thank you very much.
You would think Smarthome would do this, but I guess it's money.
I just joined the forum and it won't let me send email yet.
goddi Posted - 12/06/2009 : 1:17:31 PM
I have Windows 7 Professional. kjb4zz is correct. I chose the Compatibility mode (right click on setup.exe) as he suggested and I got my old SmartHome Manager installed and it works. Thanmks for the tip!!!!
Gary
wildoats Posted - 12/06/2009 : 08:01:28 AM
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I believe I have sucessfully installed SmartHome.
1. I downloaded Smarthome Manager Essentials Software from the website.
2. I put fine 1132CU_setupE.zip in its own folder
3. Right clicked and selected "extract all"
4. Double clicked file 1132CU_setupE
5. Right clicked file setupE.exe
6. Selected "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
7. Selected "Try recommended settings"
I opened the program, opened my backup file, and connected to my controller.
Everything seems to work fine.
nhw3w Posted - 12/05/2009 : 6:53:03 PM
can you confirm that you are using W7 pro or ultimate...don't think the other versions have compatibility built in...
kjb4zz Posted - 12/05/2009 : 5:47:54 PM
Windows 7 update: While following the long list of steps to get the program to run on Windows Vista/7 I right clicked on the setup.exe file to record the full file path....there is a tab in the properties menus for 'compatibility'.

Under the compatibility tab, select Compatibility mode, and run as compatible with Windows XP SP3....installs the program without a hitch. Windows 7 has proved itself again......no need to alter the installation files.
goddi Posted - 12/02/2009 : 5:53:28 PM
I think I am a bit confused with the 'patch'. What exactly is the 'patch'? To get Smarthome Manager to run in Windows 7, do I still have to run through all of the steps that Blueberrybob put together? There is no 'shortcut'? Is this 'patch' needed?

I have not tried Bob's steps yet...a bit daunting, but I really appreciated Bob's work...I hope I can get through them.
Thanks... Gary
goddi Posted - 12/02/2009 : 4:54:25 PM
[quote]Originally posted by lgmerx

Frederp,
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a patched version of the installation program.
[/quote
=====================
Greetings,
I would like to know if your 'patch' will work in Windows 7. I am trying to get my old Smarthome Manager program to be installed in my new Windows 7. I tried to email you to get the 'patch' but the Forum does not allowed to send an email (not enough posts). If your 'patch' can work in Windows 7, is there a way for you to send me the patch???
Thanks... Gary
lagpro Posted - 11/23/2009 : 2:52:06 PM
Could I get a copy of the patch as well....

Also humbly requested.

Thanks.
bobfwilliams Posted - 11/16/2009 : 6:23:11 PM
I have now also verified (as did kbrkr earlier) that Smarthome software works under Windows 7. My procedures for creating an executable file under Windows 7, posted earlier in this forum, are exactly the same as for Vista, with the following exceptions:
o Wherever the word "Vista" appears, substitute "Windows 7".
o The current version of ACT is now ACT 5.5, instead of ACT.

I don't feel that I can distribute the modified version of the Smarthome .exe file, due to copyright reasons, as well as some slight doubt over whether it would work in another environment.

I can report, however, that even though the procedures might seem daunting, it took me only about 45 minutes to run through them successfully.

I did not try to port the executable file created under Vista to Windows 7. I suspect that it probably would work, so if someone else feels the calling to send the modified executable file, feel free.

Good luck!
nhw3w Posted - 11/16/2009 : 11:02:29 AM
I have not heard anything so I assume that if such a patch exists it's not being distributed by its author or others :(
wildoats Posted - 11/16/2009 : 10:50:16 AM
Might I also humbly request to get a copy of the patch for Vista/Win7? Bob
nhw3w Posted - 11/11/2009 : 10:10:13 AM
As the guy who started this thread I would be MOST grateful if you would email me a copy of the patched program that will run on Vista/W7

Please?
steinwei Posted - 11/11/2009 : 06:35:07 AM
Hi. I need to retire my PC that is running Smarthome manager on XP. My new PC is running Vista Home 64.I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 soon. Will your patched version of Smarthome Manager run on both Vista home and Windows 7, and if so, will it work with the 1132 when the PC is turned off? If so, please email me a patched version of the program. Thanks so much.

Bob
steinwei Posted - 11/11/2009 : 06:33:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lgmerx

Frederp,

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a patched version of the installation program.

kbrkr Posted - 10/24/2009 : 11:13:29 AM
I can now confirm the SmartHome manager patch described here works with Windows 7. Even though Windows 7 could not find a driver for the PowerLinc controller USB, it was still recognized by Windows 7 and operates like a charm.

All credit goes to bobfwilliams for his excellent article and debugging skills! I personally can't thank you enough!!!!

Al
bobfwilliams Posted - 10/04/2009 : 10:21:25 AM
I'll be installing Windows 7 early in November, and I'll report then on how it affects SmartHome software and installation.
bobfwilliams Posted - 10/04/2009 : 10:17:11 AM
If you have encountered difficulty in installing SmartHome Manager software on Vista, this may be for you. Specifically, it deals with the error message “The Operating System is not adequate for running SmartHome Manager”.

I have succeeded in setting up SmartHome Manager (it works on both versions, Essential or Plus) on Vista. Here's an outline of the problem, and very detailed instructions on how to do it.

This forum posting consolidates several previous postings (including the experience of other forum users), and although it is even longer and more foreboding, it might be somewhat clearer. I have fixed the links to ACT and Orca, (caused by comma intrusion into the URL).

OVERVIEW OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS. The SmartHome Manager software was packaged by its developers into a setup (.exe) file using InstallShield (a very old version). InstallShield does some initial testing, then builds a Microsoft Windows Installer file. Basically what we'll be doing is modifying the Windows Installer file to remove the test for operating system. To do this, we'll need to download two pieces of software from Microsoft. We'll also change things so that the software (both the installation software and the SmartHome Manager software itself) runs in Windows XP compatibility mode on Vista. We’ll be running the installation of SmartHome software twice. The first time will fail (as it always has for you), but we’ll be able to find the Microsoft Windows Installer file and continue the installation process with that file.

Here are the details (not for the faint at heart). Where I have "Start", under Vista you just click on the Vista orb at the bottom left of your screen.

TAKE A SYSTEM CHECKPOINT. Take a system checkpoint if you feel nervous about any of this. Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, Create, …

BACKGROUND - CREATING THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. When a developer uses InstallShield, a single .exe file is created, which you as the user run to install the software. When you run the .exe file, it starts InstallShield, which creates and customizes a .msi file (this is the Windows Installer file) and then runs that .msi file. Because I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to modify the .exe file (to remove that dreaded check for operating system), my approach was to run the .exe file, have it create the .msi, and capture (find and save) the .msi file. It's then pretty easy to modify the .msi file, then run it.

BACKGROUND - RUNNING THE FIRST INSTALLATION OF SMARTHOME SOFTWARE. This installation will fail, but we’ll be using an installation flag to help us find the Windows Installer file. When you run the installation without the installation flag, it fails, then cleans up everything (meaning that it deletes the .msi file). When you run it with the flag, it pauses to wait for your input. Before you give it any input, just start Windows Explorer, find the .msi file that the installation created, and save it somewhere where you can use it later.

BACKGROUND - USING THE INSTALLATION FLAG. We’ll be using the /a flag to run the first installation, which runs the installation in administrative mode. You'll need to do Start (that's the Vista globe on the bottom left, Run, then enter the location of the .exe file for the SmartHome software, which should be under a folder named “Smarthome Manager”. On my CD, which is the Plus version, it's at E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe. Your CD or DVD drive might be D:. So what I entered in Start, Run was
Start, Run, <location of SmartHome .exe file> /a
Here's the actual example
Start, Run, E:\Smarthome Manager\Setup.exe /a

FIND THE WINDOWS INSTALLER FILE. You’ve now run the installation using the /a flag, and it is now waiting for your input to continue. Before you give it the go-ahead to continue (which will fail, then delete the file you are looking for), you will need to find and save off the Windows Installer file. This file has a .msi extension, and will be under the temp folder, in a newly created folder.

To find the file, you can use either a command window, or Windows Explorer. Either way, you are looking for the file in the %temp% folder. (%temp% is a variable, pointing to the real folder).
- In a command window (start with Start, Accessories, Command Prompt), cd %temp%, then do dir /ad to look at just the directories (folders). You want to find the folder with a date and time that you ran the installation. cd (that’s computerese for “change directory”) to that directory (folder), then find the Smarthome Manager.msi and copy it to somewhere safe. Or just use the location you found here to copy the file in Windows Explorer. Note that the file may be named “Smarthome Manager.msi”, or it may have a generated funny name (not ha-ha funny, but “why did they do this?” funny).
- In Windows Explorer search for %temp%. Here's how: Start Windows Explorer, then enter %temp% in the Search field at the top right of the screen. You should see a number of folders; the one you're interested in is a folder named something like C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\ (where Bob is replaced with your user name). You might see the new folder you are looking for (check the date modified for the correct date), or you may need to expand the Temp folder to find it.
Now that you have found the .msi file, before exiting the SmartHome Manager installation (which deletes the setup files), copy the .msi file to a separate folder on your hard drive.

COPY OTHER INSTALLATION FILES. If this is SmartHome Manager Essential (the basic and free version), there won’t be any other files. If this is SmartHome Manager Plus, copy all files, except for setup.exe, from the CD under c:\SmartHome Manager to the folder where you copied the SmartHome Manager.msi file.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ORCA. This is Microsoft software to edit msi files. Download just the Orca software from http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/archives/319 then click on Download orca.msi. If this is no longer there, use your favorite search tool to find another version. If you feel more comfortable downloading this from Microsoft, it’s part of the Windows Installer SDK. The URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905 and the downloaded files are about 300 MB. Good luck in finding Orca. Once you have downloaded Orca, install it on your PC by double-clicking on orca.msi.

MODIFY THE INSTALLER PACKAGE. Start Orca by Start, All Programs, Orca. Open the installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi). In the left column, scroll down to LaunchCondition, and click on it. You will see "(Version9X = 410 And Not WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 410 And WindowsBuild = 2222) OR (Version9X = 490) OR (VersionNT = 500) OR (VersionNT = 501)" in the left column and "The operating system is not adequate for running [ProductName]." in the right. Click Edit, Cut Row(s). Save the modified file by doing File, Save. Do not do File, Save As. Exit Orca.

BACKGROUND - WHY WE USE ACT. We will be using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) to install the SmartHome software. Here’s why. I wasn't able to change the attributes on the .msi file to run in compatibility mode (you can do this for a .exe file, but apparently not for a .msi file). I thought it was safest to run the installation in compatibility mode, and ACT allows you to do that. Once you have installed the SmartHome Manager, you don't need ACT to run it in compatibility mode; you can just modify the file (as I explain below) to have it run in compatibility mode.

INSTALL ACT 5. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 (ACT 5). Download Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ then search for ACT. Install by double-clicking on Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi. We need this to be able to run the Installer in Windows XP compatibility mode.

RUN THE INSTALLATION WITH ACT. Start, All Programs, Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5, Compatibility Administrator. (Depending on your Vista setup, you may need to sign off as yourself, and sign back on as an administrator. An alternative is to right-click on Compatibility Administrator, then select “Run as administrator”.) Click on the Fix icon in the toolbar. Enter the name of the program (SmartHome Manager Plus), and the vendor (SmartHome). Enter the location of the Windows Installer package (SmartHome Manager.msi) – you cannot browse to it, but you can enter it by entering separately each part of the location, then waiting for the system to respond. Here's how: First enter 'c:\', then select the folder name from the choices given. Next add a '\'. Then select the file name, etc. Here's an example, with the colors indicating the separate parts of your input: "c:\SmartHome InstallTempFolder\smarthome.msi"

Click on Next. On the next page, click on Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), then click on Test Run… On the window "Test run application", click OK. Important note: This is not a test. This is the real thing. You should be installing SmartHome Manager now. If it works, exit from ACT. There is no need to save anything.

CHANGE THE SMARTHOME PROGRAM FILE TO COMPATIBILITY MODE. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the .exe file for SmartHome Manager. It should be at c:\Program Files\SmartHome\SmartHome Manager\SmartHome Manager.exe. Right-click on it, and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, select Run this program in compatibility mode for, Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Click on OK.

START SMARTHOME MANAGER

CELEBRATE!
dundakitty Posted - 10/04/2009 : 07:32:00 AM
I was able to install by following the instructions in this thread.
I had to web search for Orca and ACT, as the links in this thread no longer worked. I also had to right-click on ACT and select "run as administrator". Once I did that, the "test run" proceedure worked perfectly. Thanks!

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page