Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Intercoms & Phones
 Looking for Home Phone Gizmo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
madmellow Posted - 05/30/2010 : 09:52:14 AM
I've been googling off and on for months, looking for a product which I know must exist, but have been unable to find. I'm amazed that, with all of the attention on home integration and use of a telephone that there isn't a product which makes use of the home phone for it's primary purpose -- talking to someone -- easier.

If anyone knows of a solution such as this, I'd love to know about it.

All of the technologies required to make this happen are common place. My cell phone can look-up a phone number in it's directory, and my car can answer the phone and let me talk, yet I'm left to hoisting the little handset around the house.

In my mind, there should be a home phone product which has these features:

1. Caller ID -- lookup the caller in my address book (PC or MAC based, synced or realtime) and display a real name and number. Also, display it in such a way that it's actually readable without glasses -- such as projecting it on a wall, sending it to computer/iPad, or large display. Announcing the name of the caller would work, too.

2. Mobility -- Bluetooth and WIFI comes to mind, as does polycom's conference room phone technology. I should be able to walk about the house, talking, without anything in my hand or on my ear.

3. Voice Recognition -- Press a button (or say the magic word) and say "answer" or "call" or all of those things my car and cell phone can handle.

4. Cost -- I have to believe that $200 for the base unit plus $50 for each satellite (to cover the house) would hit a sweet spot in the market.

If you know of anything, let me know.

This message is also posted on the HomeSeer site.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
madmellow Posted - 05/31/2010 : 07:05:35 AM
True...I'm a bit optimistic with my price target, but 5 yrs ago who would have thought that you could have a 50+ inch TV with HD Movies for under $1K. I know that all of the parts are available, but figured that someone would have packaged these commodity pieces into a product. I think there's a market for a non-techie (no more complex than a VCR) version of this for the home.
oberkc Posted - 05/31/2010 : 04:32:05 AM
Except for the mobility part, I do all this with a combination of skype and google voice. While I haven't thought much about it, the addition of microphones and speakers should be doable, if I were inclined.
stusviews Posted - 05/30/2010 : 2:09:40 PM
All that you request exists now. As far as item 4, everything's included in that sweet $5000 car you'll find in the garage of the $20,000 house

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page