Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Pet Care & Pest Control
 pet detection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bgeoffreyburnham Posted - 08/19/2011 : 06:11:14 AM
I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to have an Insteon product respond to a specific trigger..more or less like a proximity detector such that when a pet comes within say 10 ft of a door, a sensor the animal is wearing can trigger an event. I know about motion detectors but don't want the event triggered by just motion but rather motion by a specific animal.. anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time...

Geoff
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 10/28/2013 : 11:04:50 PM
Which of the sensors you refer to can trigger an I/O Linc?

Edit: None, I guess.
advancedipm Posted - 10/28/2013 : 05:29:42 AM
Hi There,

Hope you would have got the solution till now. If not here i am sharing some information about motion sensors which i hope will be helpful to you and people facing the same issue:-

Its really creative using sensors to detect whats going on around & act on that information. Well, for your information let me tell you that all sensors have different type of interface. some of the sensors require pull-up resistors, some need certain power supplies, some use lots of power, some don't. Based on few interfaces here is collected the most common sensors

Force sensitive resistor - Detects physical pressure such as pinching, squeezing, pushing, brushing

Photocells - Detects light/dark, breakbeams, simple object

Temperature - Detects environmental temperature

Tilt sensors - Detects motion/vibration & orientation.

PIR sensors - Used to detect motion activity such as animals or people

Thermocouple - Used for temperature measurements, usually those above 150C

IR receivers - Used to detect IR signals from remote controls

stusviews Posted - 08/19/2011 : 12:09:24 PM
You may be able to get at the contacts of this device http://www.petdoors.com/power-pet-automatic-pet-doors.html
bgeoffreyburnham Posted - 08/19/2011 : 06:24:41 AM
Ahhh but there is the rub --- looking for the transmitter/sensor combination.. I suspect the rest will be easy... but that combination of size, cost and proximity is hard part.. thanks for the response...

Geoff
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 08/19/2011 : 06:21:43 AM
Once you find the transmitter/sensor combination that meets your needs, you just connect the dry contact outputs to an IOLinc to control your Insteon gear.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page