Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Phone Install Issue (challenge if you dare)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickjblack Posted - 10/11/2011 : 7:43:08 PM
I bought a Quickport 6-Wire Modular Jack and I have a phone line that I have ran to the new location. The phone line has four wires (R, G, B, Y) and I have terminated it according to manufacturer specs (i.e. R to R, G to G, etc.). However, nothing happens when I plug my phone in...

I purchased a different phone jack with screw terminals and tightened R to R, G to G and...voila, dial tone and working phone. Why in the world won't this configuration work for the Quickport jack? I've discussed this with many folks from my local hardware store and no one seems to have an answer. Anyone out had this problem and know a solution? Please.

I currently get my phone and internet services from Comcast by way of cable modem.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nickjblack Posted - 10/13/2011 : 08:51:32 AM
I see, wish I would have read this earlier, could have saved me a bunch of time...I purchasd new Cat 3 solid wire from the hardware store yesterday, re-ran the new lines, tied into the Quicport jacks and everything is working now. I appreciate your feedback here, could not have figured this out without your help. Thanks.
stusviews Posted - 10/12/2011 : 4:15:32 PM
The punch-down connectors can handle stranded as well as solid wire. Just be careful to avoid stray strands by twisting the wire before punching it down. Are you using pins 3 (red) and 4 (green)?
nickjblack Posted - 10/12/2011 : 3:35:03 PM
How about this? The phone wires that I am trying to hook up to the Quickport is braided, not solid. I learned today that the quickport's are not desinged to work on braided wires. Is this accurate?
stusviews Posted - 10/12/2011 : 12:02:21 PM
Yes. Use a 4-wire Quickport.
nickjblack Posted - 10/12/2011 : 06:31:19 AM
Sorry Stu. Yes the jack that I utilized to test the wires was a 4-wire jack.
nickjblack Posted - 10/12/2011 : 05:12:59 AM
I'm guessing the Modular Jack is desgined for 6-wires since it's made to be able to accommodate three different phone lines. Are you saying that the 'scorer' within the 6-wire jack is unable to 'score' the smaller diameter 4-wire cables and this may be preventing contact? Is there a solution to improve on this?

Thank you.
stusviews Posted - 10/11/2011 : 8:01:40 PM
If you have a single line, the standard colors are green and red. They should connect to the center two pins on the jack. A second line uses black and yellow. If you used a 6-wire cable the colors are different. There is more than one standard for 6-wire (3-line) cables.

A 6-wire jack may not securely contact the wires on a 2- or 4-wire plug as it's a different size. 2- and 4- wire plugs are the same size (as each other), but different from a 6-wire plug. Is the jack you used for testing a 4- or 6-wire jack?

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page