Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Best CAT6 wiring

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lsag02 Posted - 02/11/2011 : 06:16:59 AM
What's the best to CAT6 wire the house? I ran CAT6 cable from one single wireless router location to each room. I have 4-port 802.11n router but I am going to buy 8-port router as I need more then 4 port. The router is in the office which is in one corner of the house the house is 70' long), I don't know if wireless signal is strong enough to reach every part of the house. Should I install wireless access points for phones Wi-Fi connections? If so, where in the house and how many should I install? Anything else I need to add or take into account?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
silversop Posted - 01/13/2014 : 11:05:40 AM
Just to add on to this... I agree Cat 6 but... thinking for the future, Cat6a should last a while and support in home streaming to multiple locations. 10G E is where it's at.

S

quote:
Originally posted by PeterKnauf

For Hard wiring everything you can go with Cat6--great. Metal pipes or aluminum framework, water heaters, etc all block wireless signals. If anything, it may be best to place a switch near your modem, and use CAT6 cables to run wifi access points in your house. this can also be used in conjunction with wired drops, so you have an option of using wifi or wired depending on the device.

PeterKnauf Posted - 10/28/2013 : 02:54:23 AM
For Hard wiring everything you can go with Cat6--great. Metal pipes or aluminum framework, water heaters, etc all block wireless signals. If anything, it may be best to place a switch near your modem, and use CAT6 cables to run wifi access points in your house. this can also be used in conjunction with wired drops, so you have an option of using wifi or wired depending on the device.
foxtail22 Posted - 02/14/2012 : 10:47:25 AM
The CAT 6 standard usually calls for 22ga conductors vs 24ga in Cat 5e. CAT also uses all 8 conductors vs 4 of the 8 being used in Cat5e and earlier. As pointed out, termination is important with as little untwisted pair wire lenghts as possible.

When I built my house 6 years ago, Cat 5e was it. I would go with Cat6 today. However, I do get 1GB connections on many of the cable runs, especially the shorter runs. I have 20 wired jacks in my house include one behind each wall TV mounting location along with the cable and AC power connection. I use a Netgear 16 port GB switch behind my Linksys GB router to give me the wired port support I need.

The ideal location for your wireless router location is near the center of the house in an elevated location when prossible. Even a 2nd floor installtion will be better. Line of sight positioning to your most commonly used locations is best because going through walls knocks the signal strenght down quit a bit.

Your 70 ft on wireless is pushing it even in open air. If you have any wall to go through with the signal, you are likely not going to be able to get a reliable connection. The higher the elevation for your N wireless router, the better
joehusky Posted - 12/14/2011 : 03:52:00 AM
CAT 6 wiring uses eight different pieces of insulated CAT 6 wire for network connection. It is very reliable and safe way for network connectivity
av-install Posted - 03/22/2011 : 09:27:04 AM
Make sure you terminate CAT6 cables to CAT6 standards! I know it sounds silly but Cat6 is more prone to crosstalk and system noise...

The general rule of thumb is if you can get a cable to it wire it! You will never bet the reliability of a cable.

Sorry turning into a school teacher! :-)

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page