Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Motion and glass break in bathroom

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bk90 Posted - 03/12/2012 : 12:08:28 AM
Howdy!

Would like to use a DSC BV500GB combination motion and glass break sensor in a couple of bathrooms. However, SOME members of the family attempt to use all the hot water on the planet for their shower and often turn the bathroom into a steamroom. Does anyone have a sugguestion about sensors that can tolerate high humidity/condensation?

I've googled and googled but have not found a clear answer.

Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bk90 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 12:30:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

Why do you need glass and motion sensors in your bathroom? Is the motion sensors being used for the purpose of occupancy to turn the lights / fans on?

Teken . . .

I have some large windows in the bathrooms that could easily be a point of entry. Wanted the glass break on a panic circuit and then have the motion detector as a backup in case the window was open and the glass didn't need to be broken to gain access. A bit of overkill, I agree, but since the walls were open and I had the chance to run all the wire I wanted, I figured why not!

Yanksers' use of a sensor on the solar screen is a great idea. I'm sure I'll use that on some windows but I don't want solar screens on a few of the bathroom windows as they're on the front of the house.
EVIL Teken Posted - 06/30/2012 : 4:10:46 PM
Why do you need glass and motion sensors in your bathroom? Is the motion sensors being used for the purpose of occupancy to turn the lights / fans on?

Teken . . .
Yankster Posted - 06/03/2012 : 04:44:01 AM
When my system was put in they installed a solar screen over the window that is wired, it is on the outside, if you tamper with it or cut it the alarm goes off (if it's turned on it does). I am on this site researching upgrade and want this particular device on a 24/7 panic circuit because there would never be a reason to take it off.
bk90 Posted - 03/29/2012 : 10:07:29 PM
thanks for the info and advice. I'm going to run extra wires for both types, window bugs and glass break sensors, at the window and outside the door. I figure as long as the walls are still open (drywall isn't up yet), a few extra feet of wire won't be but a few dollars, so why not! If one type fails, I'll switch to the other.
foxtail22 Posted - 03/27/2012 : 5:37:08 PM
I forgot to comment on the motion detector. They would suffer the same condensing issues as glass break sensors. One suggestion would be to mount the motion detector outside the bathroom in a position where it would aim through the doorway area. This is viable since motion detectors have fairly long range and anyone breaking in through a bath room window would have to come though the doorway to enter the rest of the house.
foxtail22 Posted - 03/27/2012 : 5:12:32 PM
I have a half dozen glass break sensors in my system and they have worked well for years. Since they are sound pattern analyers, they should not be highly susceptalbe to humidity. I suspect if you are having failures, it is from condensation in the glass break units which could happen if they are cold and then subjected to high humidity which would cause condensation on them which could cause shorting issues in the circuitry. I am not aware of any units that are made to withstand that kind of treatment.

A viable alternative would be to wire in glass break bugs that adhere directly to a corner of the bath room window pane being monitored. They are sealed units and measure the shock of breaking glass so they would not be affected by the steam from the shower.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page