Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Household door locks - Not deadbolts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuffses Posted - 06/07/2012 : 10:09:17 PM
I need some individual door locks for some rooms in my house. Problem is, I can't find any that work with household door handles. Here is the type of the type I currently use:
www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-TUO0305-Privacy-Antique/dp/B000WS5J2Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1339130865&sr=1-6

Does anyone know where I could get an electronic lock that would fit this? Since it's just for indoors, I don't need deadbolts, and the quality doesn't need to be that good. Door strikes seemed like a good idea, but I doubt they would fit.

I'm not running a commercial automation system, so anything with terminals I can solder wires to would work fine. A handle is not required either, I already have one located elsewhere on the door.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stuffses Posted - 06/08/2012 : 11:01:29 AM
Ok, I understand now. Here is some more information:
- 5VDC - 120VDC
- Fail-secure (although, if it's a servo it will fail in it's last position)
- Emergency bypass is a battery backup, no other method required for operation
- All logic is controlled by an arduino, so the interface only needs to slide the latch back and fourth. Preferable a two wire (or three for a servo) design
- Doors are made of wood (hollow inside as they are indoor doors)
- Door can swing either way
- Appearance does not matter, as it will be covered my a custom milled aluminum box. Although it shouldn't stick out the side more than 2 inches.

If there is anything else, just tell me.
stusviews Posted - 06/08/2012 : 07:55:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by stuffses

I don't know what information I've left out.

None of the more that 100 recommendations suit your needs. So, here's more than a dozen specifications that you've left out:

What power the lock? How is the power renewed? What opens it? What closes it? How long does it remain open? Is it fail-safe? fail secure? Is there an emergency bypass? A non-emergency bypass? More than one method of operation (e.g., key also)? What is the door material? thickness? It the a extant opening standard? Left or right (that's not as easy as it sound when it comes to door locks)? Appearance? Jamb side? Even more!!!

Expense and complexity are not always a linear relationship.
stuffses Posted - 06/08/2012 : 07:11:57 AM
I don't know what information I've left out. Again, all I need is (that image above) and a servo inside. How expensive/complicated could that be?
stusviews Posted - 06/08/2012 : 06:18:51 AM
I gave a general answer to your general question. No response will be adequate if you do not provide specifics, which you still have not done. I can think of ten or even more details, none of which may meet your exact needs, other than the particular handle you require.

And, no, you cannot get a Ferrari for the price of a Ford.
stuffses Posted - 06/07/2012 : 11:26:40 PM
No, I don't want something with a keypad and handle, just the mechanism that locks and unlocks. For example, a door strike is about $15, but it is the wrong size. I cant afford to buy 5 @150 fancy locks.

EDIT:
Something exactly like the following, but with a built in motor / actuator.
stusviews Posted - 06/07/2012 : 11:13:43 PM
choose: http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=doorlock

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page