Energy Saving Solutions
 Hot Water Recirculating Pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carealtor

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  12:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've read mixed reviews of the Chile Pepper hot water recirculating pump, so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a higher quality pump.

tomkent45
Starting Member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  03:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit tomkent45's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try with Watts 500800 Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump, Blue

quote:
Originally posted by carealtor

I've read mixed reviews of the Chile Pepper hot water recirculating pump, so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a higher quality pump.

AlertMe
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  1:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a Chilipepper. I run mine more than most people because of the way I have it connected. I have a push button at every sink in the house, and I also have a relay connected to my dishwasher that causes the Chilipepper to run before each fill cycle of the dishwasher. This guarantees hot water for every wash/rinse cycle.

I'm on my 3rd Chilipepper. The first one died in about a year. The second one lasted about 18 months. At the time, they only had a 1-year warrantee (it's 5 years now), so they refused to replace it and I refused to pay another $179 for something that only lasts a year or so.

A few months ago, they contacted me and asked me to vote on a website for them to receive a R&D grant. I told them that I would be happy to vote for them... IF they would replace my failed pump. They agreed and sent me a newer version of the Chilipepper. They told me that the new model is more durable than the old model.

As it turns out, this new model is designed specifically to be placed in a vertical position. This got me to wondering... so I re-read the instructions for the older model and noticed that it specifically states to place the older model in a HORIZONTAL position. I had mine mounted vertically... so I'm wondering if that's why the bearings wore out early. It's entirely possible that the bearings were not designed for the weight of the armature in a vertical position.

Other than the premature failures, I've been very happy with my Chilipepper. The noise never bothered me... but the new model is 10-20% quieter than the old one.

I've read that the best solution out there is the RedyTemp... but it costs three or four times the price of the Chilipepper. If this third Chilipepper dies prematurely, I'll consider the RedyTemp.
Go to Top of Page

Midd

38 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious to how you have it connected. I would like to do something similar in my home.

quote:
Originally posted by barnabas1969

I have a Chilipepper. I run mine more than most people because of the way I have it connected. I have a push button at every sink in the house, and I also have a relay connected to my dishwasher that causes the Chilipepper to run before each fill cycle of the dishwasher. This guarantees hot water for every wash/rinse cycle.

I'm on my 3rd Chilipepper. The first one died in about a year. The second one lasted about 18 months. At the time, they only had a 1-year warrantee (it's 5 years now), so they refused to replace it and I refused to pay another $179 for something that only lasts a year or so.

A few months ago, they contacted me and asked me to vote on a website for them to receive a R&D grant. I told them that I would be happy to vote for them... IF they would replace my failed pump. They agreed and sent me a newer version of the Chilipepper. They told me that the new model is more durable than the old model.

As it turns out, this new model is designed specifically to be placed in a vertical position. This got me to wondering... so I re-read the instructions for the older model and noticed that it specifically states to place the older model in a HORIZONTAL position. I had mine mounted vertically... so I'm wondering if that's why the bearings wore out early. It's entirely possible that the bearings were not designed for the weight of the armature in a vertical position.

Other than the premature failures, I've been very happy with my Chilipepper. The noise never bothered me... but the new model is 10-20% quieter than the old one.

I've read that the best solution out there is the RedyTemp... but it costs three or four times the price of the Chilipepper. If this third Chilipepper dies prematurely, I'll consider the RedyTemp.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page