X-10 System Migration Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CLatch
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been in our home for 15 years and have a solid, working automation system (for lightling only) based on the JDS TIME COMMANDER TCM-2W MODEL X10 DEVICE COMPUTER CONTROLER driving X-10 light switches and lamp modules across our 5,500 sq. ft. home. I'd like to begin migrating to a new, more advanced system, but don't want to swap out my entire investment in X-10 all at once. My goal remains to drive lighting and lighting scenes (indoor and out) -- with no current need/interest in driving appliances, air conditioning, AV, sprinklers, etc. Pretty basic stuff (which is likely why the current system is working just fine.)

Do you guys have any advice on a migration path. I am thinking that I should start with a "new generation" controller to run my existing x-10 devices, upgrading the x-10 switches gradually over time. It's tough to really understand the many options out there and I'd appreciate any practical advice. It would be nice to have a controller that I can connect to (and program) over our home WiFi network instead of by connecting to a serial cable as I do now. And, I am looking for a controller that will run stand-alone (I don't want to leave a computer on all the time to drive the schedule.)

Any thoughts? Input appreciated.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The logical upgrade path for you would be migrating from the JDS unit to an ISY controller and gradually replacing x10 controls with Insteon, the only modern automation protocol that offers some backwards interoperability with x10. The ISY is a stand-alone box, similar to the JDS unit, only you program it from another computer via your LAN. You can set it up to command your existing x10 gear using input from both Insteon and x10 controls, sensors, mobile phones, Internet browsers, schedules, weather station data, etc.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page