New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irandolph1
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a device on my Lamplinc (2457D2). It is in the garage on the far side of the house. I use three Access Points (2443). When I try to control the device, I get intermittent results. Sometimes my Mobilinc Pro and my Smartlinc on my browser show it connected, and sometimes not. All my other devices have a solid connection.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  10:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing you have a couple of noisy fluorescent light ballasts in the garage that are out-shouting the Insteon power line signals and some kind of RF interference as well. Is the LampLinc powering a dimmable CFL? Is it located where a large, metal appliance or cabinet separates it from the next nearest dual-band device?

Turn off the breaker that serves the outlet that LampLinc is on so you can identify other lights and appliances on that circuit, turn the circuit back on, then unplug or disable each suspected source of interference until you find the culprit. When that happens, you can relocate or replace the source of interference, isolate the interference from the rest of your power line network using a FilterLinc or other x10-type filter, and/or raise and relocate one of the dual-band devices so it can communicate reliably on RF.

Use the quad-tap test built into dual-band devices to help identify any RF communications or interference issues that might be solved by moving or reorienting one of your dual-band devices or metal obstructions. Ideally, you want to make changes so that dual-band devices can be reached reliably via both bands, then one will serve as a backup in the event intermittent interference crops up later.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

irandolph1
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick response.
The Lamplinc is powering a IP camera. There are no metal cabinets near the outlet and no flourescent lamps on the circuit, but I will check further. I am interested in the Filerlinc and will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the first problem--that power supply is not a dimmable load. When you put a non-dimming load on a dimmer, you risk overheating and early failure of the load, the dimming unit, or both.

Non-dimmable loads should only be used with relay-type devices like the ApplianceLinc or a relay-type InLineLinc.

Go to Top of Page

irandolph1
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tfitzpatri8:

Thanks, again.

What can I use to get dual-band capability for a plug-in device such as an IP camera?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far as I can tell, they don't sell a dual-band ApplianceLinc yet, you'd rely on the other dual-band mesh devices in your home to repeat messages on RF.

This is what I find when I search for dual-band relay: http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=Dual%20band%20Relay

You could put an in-line device in an electrical box, then wire it up to an extension cord to plug it in. Or you could mount a keypad in a tabletop pedestal and run an extension cord outlet from that. Or you could plug an Access Point or dual-band LampLinc into the pass-through outlet on an ApplianceLinc.

But why would you want to cut power to a garage IP camera at all? Those are designed to run 24/7.

Go to Top of Page

irandolph1
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, again, Tfitzpatri8:

I guess is for a fixture. Is there a plugin module with dual band and non-dimming I can use to control the IP camera? Do it exist?

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see one.

Go to Top of Page

irandolph1
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello agian:

I read your answer more carefully and it is very complete. It will take me a while to digest it. Thanks, again.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  11:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tfitzpatri8 is correct, a LampLinc is inappropriate to control a power adapter.

There are currently no dual-band plug-in Insteon relay devices. Use an Appliance plus an Access Point. But what kind of lighting is in the garage?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page