New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mvalpreda
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  2:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a T6800 thermostat and one of the reasons I got it was for the cloud/wifi control. I am not seeing it on there anywhere. From what I can tell there may be an SD card that is needed for those features. Does anyone know where I can get that SD card? Or if there is another model I need? Thanks for any input!

stusviews

USA
11474 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where did you read that it had cloud/WiFi control? Include a link.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

mvalpreda
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Colortouch product page, it shows WiFi and takes you here: http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/ColorTouch/Features/?t=skyport
Here is the app you use and it says for use with T5800 and T6800 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/venstar-skyport/id520220656?mt=8

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11474 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  3:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems to need the Skyport key, but I didn't find anything about obtaining one except that it's around $100. Try Venstar, they've been helpful.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

mvalpreda
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  5:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called and emailed them this morning. I have not heard from them yet.

I think there is a 5900 coming out which may have wifi built in. I'll just keep my keys open for that.
Go to Top of Page

mvalpreda
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emailed with Venstar. The WiFi card and new firmware is coming out soon. Let's see if the price is good.
Go to Top of Page

paulmadden
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  7:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my wifi card for the colortouch, paid $60 for it here http://www.hvacpw.com/Venstar-ACC0454-Skyport-WiFi-Key-Thermostat-p/venacc0454.htm . Having some problems getting it to connect to my network though. I might have to call venstar and see if they can help me get it connected. I'll keep you posted

Paul
Go to Top of Page

paulmadden
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have found out why I was having trouble connecting the wifi card to my network. Talking with Venstar they told me that currently the wifi card doesn't support the WEP security protocol. They say they will be coming out with a update shortly that will accept the WEP security protocol. I would switch to a different protocol but I have other things in my network that only accept the WEP security. I also asked them about a insteon card and they said that it is in development and will probably be released towards the end of the year. Hope this might be of help to anyone else having problems with a wifi card.

Cheers,

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand WEP is sufficiently easy to break it is pretty much the equivalent of having no security at all--so much so, I figured the lack of support in an HVAC control (where someone with malicious intent could easily rack up hundreds of dollars in heating or air conditioning bills by changing your setback schedule to an aggressive set-forward) was intentional. You might want to use this as additional incentive to speed up your timeline for upgrading or replacing your legacy equipment. That, or create a second wifi network off the same modem to support modern equipment and move all but the legacy gear to the newer router.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

SANTOSD361
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  06:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit SANTOSD361's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I understand WEP is sufficiently easy to break it is pretty much the equivalent of having no security at all--so much so, I figured the lack of support in an HVAC control (where someone with malicious intent could easily rack up hundreds of dollars in heating or air conditioning bills by changing your setback schedule to an aggressive set-forward) was intentional. You might want to use this as additional incentive to speed up your timeline for upgrading or replacing your legacy equipment. That, or create a second wifi network off the same modem to support modern equipment and move all but the legacy gear to the newer router.

well i was thinking my contractor was full of crap but i get it now he did said it was because of he wep but he set it up manual ect. now i get it but yes you can buy it online i got from the contractor but that is me and is not all super high tech they need to add more features to the app and online cloud i in total pay $300.00 to contractor including the wifi and thermostad and labor. but it does work it lets you turn it off or change the tempeture so yeah they need to add more futures and apps make smart it did said it was like a smart phone technology so then make it work like one and give them futures well the messege send works but all this need to look better and so does they cloud and the cloud app just saying becuase i realy like this other ones

SANTOS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page