Venstar WiFi - Skyport ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  06:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the Venstar - "Wifi"/Skyport Thermostat verses staying with my existing Venstar Insteon Thermostat ???
For example, if one wishes to connect to the Venstar WiFi\Skyport Thermostat from the Internet via a Smartphone, do you need to connect to a Venstar web page and pay a monthly charge to connect via the Internet, etc ?

jbpeil
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  10:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbpeil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe, the ACC0454 Skyport Wi-Fi Key enables Venstar's T5800 ColorTouch thermostat to access a home Wi-Fi network. Using Venstar's smartphone and/or tablet application (iPhone, Android) you can monitor and control your thermostat from the couch or across town! To see more of the great features we have to offer please visit the Skyport website here: https://venstar.skyportcloud.com/

John Peil
Go to Top of Page

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  2:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbpeil,

When I clicked on Create Account Now - Your Venstar Web Site stated that it requires Internet Explorer 9. I only have a Win XP pc and Internet Explorer 8 is is the highest version of Internet Explorer that will work under Win XP.
This seems to be a poor choice for your Web Site *not* to support IE 8, for those users on Win XP, especially since Win XP still has 2 years left in its lifecycle support by MS. I do *not* have the time at this point, to install and learn another Browser like Chrome, Firefox or Safari. ***Please consider supporting IE Version 8 ***.

In the meantime, can you tell me, is there a Monthly/Yearly - Fee to access the Venstar Thermostat with Skyport Key via the Internet ???
Do you go through the Venstar Skyport Web page to access the Thermostat form the Internet and what happens if your ISP is giving you a Dynamic IP Address that changes ?

Edited by - JoeB on 06/18/2012 2:39:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbpeil
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbpeil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe,
Sorry, I didn't Subscribe to this topic so I didn't realize you responded......
The website does in fact support IE 8 but it is not recommended. So, good news, you do not have to install a new browser!

There is not a Monthly or Yearly fee to access your Venstar thermostat via smartphone, tablet, or PC devices. In the future we will be releasing a paid service more appropriate for users with many locations and HVAC systems they want to monitor from one super-account.

To access your thermostat from a PC simply login to your account on venstar.skyportcloud.com
To access your thermostat from a smartphone or tablet please download our app from the iTunes or Google app store.

Dynamic IPs should not have an impact on the thermostat. If the IP address changes the thermostat will simply reconnect itself.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

John Peil
Go to Top of Page

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbpeil,
Great News that the website supports IE8, btw, I just remembered that I was using my 2nd older pc and forgot that it only has IE 7 on it and this may have caused the access problem ! ( I am upgrading it to IE 8 this week) Thanks for the info.

Now, The only questions I have left are:
1. What are the advanatges of going the Venstar Skyport - Thermostat route verses just staying with my current Venstar Insteon Thermostat that can be accessed from the Internet with SmartLinc controller ?
2. I understand the the Venstar - ColorTouch Thermostat will also be enhanced with an Insteon Card. ... When do you expect that this will be released ?
Go to Top of Page

SANTOSD361
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SANTOSD361's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeB

What would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the Venstar - "Wifi"/Skyport Thermostat verses staying with my existing Venstar Insteon Thermostat ???
For example, if one wishes to connect to the Venstar WiFi\Skyport Thermostat from the Internet via a Smartphone, do you need to connect to a Venstar web page and pay a monthly charge to connect via the Internet, etc ?

well i purchase this not because i need it a upgrade had a big problem with my ac about 26 technicians until they find the problem many told me to change the thermostat but that was not it it was something inside the compresor. sort i got this because the touch screen since i have just upgrade all wiring in the home from electrical to cat6 network to ac well got this from my regular technician contractor. i had this on october of 2011. i pay $200 including staling it. but this is my general contractor gives good deals because i always used him. i had a hard time setting the pictures but solve it i was using the sd card but inside putting the mini sd card and would not work until i purchase the regular sd card. and it work then i like the way it work and had contractor get me the wifi key port i know online it was around 69 pluss shiping well he got it for me install it but charge me $100 his excuse was because he wanted to put wep wireless station just for that i dont know why so the skyport wifi and and wep wireless router was install i was like that was a bit to much but not really. now i like this but will say this is only for people that are with random schelle to go home because yes if im going home and will be their in about 45min i can change the tempeture and by the time i get home my good is ready on my desire. it normaly takes about 15 to 20min to drop my ac from 85 to 76. any ways this is about the wifi i like it but but but kind of suck on webpage not many futures i thing it will be great if they let you set up all your settings from the cloud or the iphone. you can only change the tempeture and turn schellude on or off and turn fan auto or on. i would love to see more options like to set up your all settings and add apps other things i know is just a thermostat but to be cool it needs to have all that. had nice complements about it but since i kind off have all electrical things high end tech people are not surpriced and the other thing i dont like is were do i get my han code. i would like to activated this thermostad to my hav devices and i dont know were to get the code. over all i think they need to add more things like how much energy on kilowats is usin and things like that. and to explain this dead band crap delays of tempeture and time and why 4 dead bands and all this setting a more detail on whats the purpose of them. a pluss if i can add pictures and seetings on the cloud because we cant put the sd in. you have to take it out but i dont know how to let them know.

over all i do like it because im going home and have guess and i turn on the ac to 75 and we get their and is so fresh when i get their and their like dude why you leave your ac at that tempeture how much does your bill come out to and then explaing they all like them i need to get me one of those but. i know thiers better ones i just thinks venstar and skyport need to do this upgrade to bring them features

SANTOS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page