Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  1:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a RC840T-120 120 volt type on some heating supply web sites. With a web search for RC840T-120.
Though Aube no longer shows them on their site. So they maybe discontinued and some suppliers may still have some left in stock.
RC840 and a transformer maybe easier to find necessary supplies.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  3:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A simple search revealed several Aube RC840T-120 relays available.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

schnitzel
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  12:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried the Heatmiser thermostat? Says it supports higher voltage. I'm new to this so I'm not sure if it's a fit or not.

http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/thermostats-c1/wifi-thermostats-c12/230v-or-volt-free-switching-models-c32/heatmiser-prt-ets-wifi-electric-floor-heating-wifi-thermostat-p101
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  12:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The powerline frequency in England is 50Hz. The thermostat may not function in the US.

BTW, the cost is US$245 plus shipping from the United Kingdom. Nice find, though, for forum members over there.

Go to Top of Page

rdsims
Starting Member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu et al,

Successfully finshed wifi set-up with the Aube 840T-120 with a honeywell wifi thermostat. 2 zones running on separate thermostats. Seems to be working a charm. look forward to the remote monitoring and control so it is comfortable.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

R
Go to Top of Page

Hoddy1
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have followed this thread with interest from the beginning and though I have learned a lot (thanks Stu and all) I am going to ask your indulgence while I ask some very basic questions. I too have a place "upstate" that I would like to partially warm up on Friday evening as we are driving up. Currently I have AUBE TH114 A 120S thermostats in each room and hallway (8 in all) controlling my electric baseboard heaters. It is my understanding that these are 120 volt thermostats so I am presuming my baseboards are 120 volt as well The main hallway as you enter from outside has two baseboards wired to one TH114. I would like to set up those 2 heaters to be controlled via WiFi. If I could turn them up over the internet they would take the edge off of the whole house as the heat would rise to the second floor as well. Let me preface everything by saying I will have a licensed electrician wire everything, but since the country electrician said "WiFi - Really? What's that..." I want to have a full understanding of the installation so I can explain it to him.
My first questions are about the relay. 1) what is the model number I need for 120V baseboards? 2) Since both baseboards lead to and are controlled by a single thermostat, I am guessing that the relay needs to be wired into the "line" that goes from the second baseboard unit up to the single thermostat which means cutting the "line" wires to the thermostat at the baseboard, yes? 3) Does the relay tuck into or under the baseboard unit or does it sit outside the baseboard next to it? 4) Can I then use the two wires that were cut at the baseboard to attach the relay to my new WiFi thermostat? 5) Does the relay then supply 24volts up the the thermostat to give it power? If at all possible I would like to avoid having to run wires.
What AUBE thermostat would pair well with the relay and also have a good "App" interface? If I lose power for a while, will it have any effect on anything? If the WiFi gives out will the thermostat default to a set minimum temperature? Will it reset itself when the WiFi comes back up?
I think that covers it for now. Any feedback you guys could give me would be really appreciated, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. RC840T-120
2. The on-site electrician will be able to determine where to tie-in/cut-in the relay.
3. The relay can be installed at the side of a junction box or inside the the baseboard heater wiring compartment. Only one baseboard heater needs the relay if they're controlled by the same thermostat.
4. No. Low voltage (thermostat) wire connects the relay to the WiFi thermostat.
5. No. You will need a 24VAC power supply.

The purpose of the RC840T is to allow you to use any standard thermostat including WiFi models, but I'm not aware of any Aube Wifi thermostat. Programmable thermostat have non-volatile memory, so the settings won't be lost if power goes down. Without WiFi, the thermostat becomes a manual thermostat. It will remain at whatever setting it was last programmed to do.

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  2:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help. I am trying to hook up a nest to my summer house. It has 220v electric heat. I bought a aube rc840t relay. First of all will this work? The nest keeps telling me it sees no r voltage. The relay has c,w and r. The nest says it should work. Do I need a cap. The diagram on the side of the relay says I do, I think I have it hooked up correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  3:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It should work. I don't see anything about adding a capacitor.

What is the voltage measurement between R ans C at the relay? at the thermostat?

How is the the thermostat telling you that it "sees no r voltage?"

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  5:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting 24v. Should I get voltage between w and c? I do not.
Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  5:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that 24 v charges the battery?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What battery? Are you getting 24V at the thermostat between RH and C?

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  5:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nest thermostat also has a battery. It gets charger from the 24v I assume. Yes I am getting 24v between r an c.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have 24V between RH and C at the thermostat, then it's possible that the thermostat is defective or a pin is bent. But,
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews
How is the the thermostat telling you that it "sees no r voltage?"

Go to Top of Page

maryesch2
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELP - Hi - I am new to forum - I need help on wiring baseboard heater to Aube RC840T.

I read this forum and received your advise on using the Aube relay to control multiple baseboard heaters off a 24v thermostat.

I want one thermostat to control two Hydronic 240V baseboard heaters.

I have 2 sets of 12/2 wire coming out of the panel - two separate breakers for two separate 240v lines. Each line goes to a dedicated 240 heater.

I want to install one Aube RC840T for each heater. I bought two of them to put in each line. The Aube RC840T has 3 wires - red, black, blue. I assume that there is no ground connection. Here is where I need help:

Take one of the 12/2 lines coming out of the breaker panel. I assume that from the breaker panel, the black wire should be wired to the black Aube wire. The Aube red wire then is connected to my downstream black wire feeding the heater (hence the Aube sits between the black line). The Aube blue wire (which looks like a slightly smaller gauge) is connected to the white wire coming from the panel AND the downstream heater white (all three together). I assume if this is correct, I repeat the process for the other heater (which is on a separate line connected to separate 240v breaker as mentioned).

I then assume I connect my 24v thermostat - only one Aube C is connected to the thermostat C, and then both Aube R and W are connected together and at the thermostat.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mary
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  2:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wiring is correct, but I'd like to clarify where you indicated, "both Aube R and W are connected together." That's actually both Rs connected together and both Ws connected together.

You do not need two Aube 840T relays. You can use one Aube 840T and one Aube 840 (no power supply).

Go to Top of Page

maryesch2
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  7:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the reply.

Is it ok that I already have two Aube RC840T's? I already bought then so I am hoping that I can use them in the fashion I described. Is that possible?

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  8:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a problem. Simply ignore the C terminal on one relay as you originally proposed.

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Posted - 12/22/2013 : 09:14:13 AM
Hi all I have 240 volt heat in my summer house . I am trying to use a nest thermostat. I put in an auberc840t-240 transformer it gives me red white and common. I hook it up to the nest thermostat and I get an error code e22. It says it doesn't see the red wire. I do have 25v between the red and white. If I jump them together the relay fires and the heat goes on. That leads me to believe my wiring is correct. Has anybody had any luck with the nest thermostat with this setup? The techs at the nest say it may be incompatible. I have read that some people have this set up and it works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all. Happy holiday
Go to Top of Page

Adlepated
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  6:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a great discussion and quite informative. I'd like to point out my reason for wanting WIFI / Line-volatage heater control. I also have a vacation home but my concerns are two fold. People leaving the t-stats turned ON upon departure -- costing me high elec bills AND people turning them COMPLETELY OFF when departing and likely freezing the water pipes. Most of the 24v central heating t-stats have low set-points in the comfort zone (~60deg F). My present (el chepo) line-stats have a "LOW" setting that holds the empty house at 40 deg (and un-fortunately also have an OFF setting). I like the lower (40 deg) holding temp as it saves lots of energy. Putting a relay on a central heat t-stat won't allow the lower temp setting.

What is needed is a cheap WIFI line-voltage t-stat with a low setting.

PS, my vacation home is in PA where it is presently -2 deg outside (& going lower). 4 days ago I discovered that all t-stats were turned off & I reset them just in time for this deep-freeze
Go to Top of Page

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many others here, I have a cabin with electric baseboard heaters and would like to add a wifi thermostat. The two main purposes would be:
1) to monitor temperature remotely
2) to turn up the heat before we arrive

I just had an electrician out to our place. I sent him this thread and told him what we wanted him to do.

He's saying that he cannot do the installation because: 1) there's no room for the relay, and 2) there's no crawlspace to run the wires. The house is on a slab. There is an attic.

I'd appreciate any input you folks might have. I was wondering if perhaps we could install a wifi thermostat that actually doesn't control the heat ... ? At least that way we could monitor the temperature remotely, and run over there if it fails.

Thanks! Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The relay is designed to fit into most baseboard heater's connection box. Which specific baseboard heater(s) do you have?

Go to Top of Page

Arathorn
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  2:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can one put the Aube relay in at the Thermostat junction box?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  3:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, as long as line voltage and low voltage leads are kept separate as per the NEC.

Go to Top of Page

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  6:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu - Our heater is a Cadet. I am not sure which model.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  6:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cadet is a standard electric baseboard heater that should easily allow use of the Aube relay.

Go to Top of Page

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  04:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stu! I guess I should try to find another electrician ... ?
Go to Top of Page

Arathorn
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  3:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Yes, as long as line voltage and low voltage leads are kept separate as per the NEC.

Do you happen to have a link for that?
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEC Art. 725.55

Go to Top of Page

Adlepated
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  6:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this product:
Honeywell YTL9160AR1000 EConnect™ Wireless Programmable/Non-Programmable Line Voltage Thermostat Kit

It is a battery-supplied thermostat that wirelessly "talks" to a relay placed in the baseboard heater or in the AC supply line to the heater and it wirelessly "talks" to a base unit that plugs into an internet router. One thermostat can "talk" to 1-8 relay units.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page