Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  05:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So since I'm having trouble finding someone who could install the relay I was wondering ... could I just install a regular wifi thermostat and use it as a temperature monitoring device ... ? I wouldn't be able to turn the heat up before I arrive, but at least I could tell remotely if something went wrong and the pipes are freezing.

I know there are other solutions out there, but they require either a land line (which I'd rather not pay for) or a cell phone (those devices are more expensive).
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  12:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gouache

So since I'm having trouble finding someone who could install the relay I was wondering ... could I just install a regular wifi thermostat and use it as a temperature monitoring device ... ? I wouldn't be able to turn the heat up before I arrive, but at least I could tell remotely if something went wrong and the pipes are freezing.

Yes.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Imposter
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed the Honeywell YTL9160AR1000 thermostats and the Redlink gateway for my baseboard heaters in my weekend place. The system works as it should, except these thermostats have a low temp setting of 41 degrees and no Off function. I've drained the water in the house and have no need for heat now. But while no one is there, the heat stays on, working hard to maintain 41 degrees while the exterior temps plummet. Honeywell is a vast corporation, so I've been unable to request a simple Off feature.
Can anyone recommend a way to add the means to turn these lines on and off via internet? I have four 240 V heaters, each on its own line, controlled by three thermostats. I basically want a WiFi-enabled inline 240V switch.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  5:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A possible solution may be to use a WiFi power outlet such as this Belkin WeMo Switch plus a 120VAC DPST relay such as this enclosed relay

Go to Top of Page

Pandsshearer
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  04:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would the wiring diagram be for 1 Low voltage WIGI thermostat feeding 2 AUBE 240 volt relays??
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  9:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you mean WiFi? Of yes, then which WiFi thermostat? If not, then do you have a link to a WIGI thermostat?

Go to Top of Page

Pandsshearer
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  03:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes sorry fat fingers typing. Honeywell WIFI - TH9320WF5003. / I guess my question is do I run low voltage stat wire from the thermostat to each AUBE relay common points?
Go to Top of Page

phil31
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  04:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveW25561

I've been searching and reading, but honestly the answers are a bit above my head.

I have a cottage and want to control the heating via WiFi. We have several baseboard heaters, 220 V using Honeywell 2 lead thermostats with a simple rotary control.

I'd love to set up a WiFi enabled thermostat control for the place, ideally controlling 3 or 4 of the heaters so the place is warm when we get there in the winter. Even better would be if there's a smartphone app that allows you to see the temperatures, but I'd be OK with simply turning on the heat to the temps set at the wall-mounted thermostats.

I found this: Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat
http://www.smarthome.com/300607B/Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat/p.aspx

And the Aube telephone controller, but I don't have a phone line (but do have WiFi/broadband -- I could potentially use a MagicJack I guess). I'd still prefer a WiFi setup.

Adding the Insteon IO Link to each Aube thermostat would probably look pretty ugly (wall plug, 2 wires up to the Aube thermostat, plus I think it needs an additional 12V line), so I'd like to avoid this. Other posts I've seen suggested 12V relays and the using the more available low voltage Insteon thermostats, but this seems daunting to me (I plan to DIY).

Does anyone make a simple, all in 1 Insteon comptable thermostat that works with a 2-wire baseboard heater?

Otherwise, can someone suggest a shopping list to make this work? The older posts I found were from 2009 and 2010 so I'm hoping there's more out there now. I'd prefer minimizing the number of wires etc needed, and a direct plug and play replacement of the existing Honeywell rotary thermostats would be ideal!

hello
may i suggest you to check the new WIFI remote control for plugs or electrical circuits control .. ?

http://www.wifipower.fr

you can control the plug and circuits by any web browser or any home Domotic box by direct URL GET commands.

regards

Go to Top of Page

Imposter
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2014 :  5:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replying to my own post with my solution. Thanks for the suggestions.
I went with this: http://www.relaypros.com/Relay/Device/R4x0PL_Android_WiFi#.U0spW1cvmvg It's an Android-accessible relay. I needed an electrician to install a big box below my circuit breaker box, with this and a switched outlet inside. Each of my heating circuits passes through, and I can turn on any of the circuits through my phone either on the local WiFi network or via internet. (Rather, I could, when I left the house, and for a while after. Currently, the app isn't finding my relay. This could be due to a modem or router problem at the house, and I have no good way to test it. I will call the provider and see if they can detect if my modem is online.) But tentatively, this is a good working solution for me. I turn on the heat relays using my phone and then switch apps to control the Honeywell thermostats directly.
Go to Top of Page

aattallah
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the ET-2 model from Enertel remote Controls. It connects 240 Vac baseboards remotely by phone. www.enertel.com

AA
Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a reply from a member ( I think it was t100) stating they were developing a 220 v web thermostat . It's gone. Anybody know anything about it? Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  10:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a crowd funding campaign, not an actual product. Check out kick starter if you want to gamble that it eventually turns into something.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  11:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's sometimes a tough choice, but some links are clearly appropriate, such as a reference to a readily available product found at, for example, Macy's, Mercedes, McDonald's, M&M's. At the other end of the spectrum is anything that asks for something in return.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is called Caleo and will n
be available by year end at $150 each.

they say it will be a retrofi to existing line thermostat.

ther is a catch. always a catch. it will be link to a cloud service. to talk to the thermostat you will need an api connected to the manifacturer cloud service.... if they go belly up or their derver gors down...... you are out cold....

aube relay and 24 v thermostst seems still the best solution. is it?
Go to Top of Page

MartinF
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jfcouture, you can't link because for some reason the admins here seem to decide what's right and what's wrong for forum members to hear about. Anyways, moving on.

I can elucidate the cloud question pretty easily for you, as we've already had it on other forums...
The remote infrastructure exists for the following reasons :
a) it is not practical nor cost effective to have "hardware intelligence" built into devices. It's a bad longevity model for smartphones, now imagine for a device that has a 10 years + lifespan,
b) being an energy management device, it can be enlisted in demand-response programs where available,
c) being that you have definitely more than one and probably 8-10, you need to centralize commands and report. Your mobile can't do that,
d) as is the case for most HAN, it really becomes effective with remote control capabilities. You and I both know that it's not that difficult, but you and I are part of a minority...

Which brings me to the last point, perhaps the most important : the market of line-voltage thermostat is small. Tiny to be precise. The market of people with line-voltage thermostat AND home automation network is, well, you, me and couple of other people...
So, if we wanted to make this happen, we needed a business model NOT based on making a quick buck of a China-made fixture. So we went with the big dogs and made Caleo part of available assets to demand-response infrastructure and we sold the cloud capacities to commercial building operators. This means we don't rely on actual product sales nor on selling your precious personal info to keep going. The big boys deal with one another and the residential end enjoys the ride for free.

Ultimately, we're geeks, not crooks. Thus we have built in Caleo the capacity to be pointed towards other servers should we vaporize overnight. I expect it will take about an hour for the first geek to get his hands on one as to how to do this, but we are in the business of being a business, so we're just not going to hand it away :)

I understand that people would be worried about out choice of infrastructure, but I'm afraid we've chosen the only path that made sense and wasn't a one-way ticket to bankruptcy. I hope our being transparent about it will ease the minds of those who do worry about it...

Does that help to shed some light ?

Martin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MartinF, anyone can search for, find and invest in your promising product. But this forum is not the place for crowd funding, no matter what the product or what is promised.

Go to Top of Page

MartinF
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No they can't. You have spammed our name and URL, so I disagree that "anyone can search and find".

I'm not actively advertising our campaign as it's result will have no bearings on whether or not it will be available in January. We're looking for money to make V 1.0 better than what it is now, but manufacturing is already in full swing, so it's pretty real I'm afraid.

What I do want is for people such as the users in this thread to know that there is a new option for them. Their feedback and insight - such as what was expressed by user jfcouture - being worth a lot more than all the R & D money you can throw at a gizmo.

That's also why I'm the one following this thread, not the PR people.
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the last think iwe need is an "energy management device" all i want is a device i can control myself without the wisdom of a big brother that will tell me how to use it or be captive to a third party server that will crash or become unavailable....silly to have to talk to an outside server to tell what temperature i want in the bathroom

the market for these devices is huge. there are millions of line thermostats out there, thousands being installed weekly.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MartinF

No they can't. You have spammed our name and URL, so I disagree that "anyone can search and find".

It took a few seconds to find bunches of stuff including your CaSA

Go to Top of Page

MartinF
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jfcouture - I'm not going to try and convince you, all I can do is explain it. That's what the product is, those are the reasons why it's that way. As for the size of the market, I'd explain that we have obviously done some very thorough research and it's just not what you perceive it to be. If you want, I can explain more in PM as it may quickly become irrelevant to this thread.

M.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MartinF, I'm not intending in any way to disparage your product. It's just that you don't actually have a product and won't unless you reach your crowd funding goal of ... .

Well, I leave that to other searchers. It's not hard to find. And say hi to your partner, PatrickP.

I hope you do reach your goal, really

Go to Top of Page

MartinF
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  8:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johndpumo

There was a reply from a member ( I think it was t100) stating they were developing a 220 v web thermostat . It's gone. Anybody know anything about it? Thanks all

John, I tried to reply but there's a bit of drama going on here with the mods. I believe you'll be able to find Caleo with a good 'ol web search. It's on CaSA Connected Appliances website.

M.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  10:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the PM MartinF sent me:

Stu, I'm not sure what to say to you. I've explained it, but you either haven't read it or chose to ignore it.

Either ways I'll leave this forum now as my time is much better spent pulling out my toenails than fighting a forum mod...

Please take down the post where you state that this won't happen unless a crowd-funding goal is achieved. It's not true and it crosses the line of unimportant-internet-forum-badgering to real-life false statements. That you don't believe me is irrelevant: you don't know, so you can't say.

Remember, all I wanted to do is engage with users that have a very advanced technological profile and discuss our product, as I almost started doing with users like jfcouture or Johndpumo. You - or rather Tfitzpatri8 - turned it into this nonsense, not me.

Martin

Emphasis added

Here's a quote from their crowd funding source:

This project will only be funded if at least $100,000 CAD is pledged by Fri, Oct 24 2014 5:56 AM PDT.

Here's more:

23 Backers
$6,626 CAD pledged of $100,000 goal
25 days to go

So, who's truthful?

Sorry ol' buddy. If you read my last couple of posts, I offered support. Now, I retract that support.

I do know and I can say

Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  07:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newbie so I apologize in advance. Quick question for you folks:

I have purchased the Aube RC840T and a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat (touchscreen don't know the exact model), to power my electric baseboard heaters (not sure the make and model). The confusing thing on my setup is that there are only two wires on the current manual thermostat and the Aube has three?? The Red and Black wires are easy... But what do I do with the "Blue" wire? Am I missing something here?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  11:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black and blue connect to power in (220/240VAC). Blue also connect to one side of the heater wiring. Red connect to the other side of the heater wiring.

What did you connect the Aube red and black wires to?

Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  2:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not connected anything yet just trying to plan.... So I guess my initial plan of doing all this in the wall, which is next to the junction box (where I planned on installing the Aube) an leveraging the two wires that go into the existing thermostat is not going to work... I only have two wires and I was planning on connecting them to the Aube then connecting the RWC to the new WiFi Thermostat.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  2:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aube relay is usually installed in the baseboard heater housing that has both opposite legs of the 220/240VAC electric supply and the existing thermostat is bypassed.

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  2:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me know how you make out. I could not get mine to work. If you look at the relay it shows how to wire it. I did the wiring and could not get the 24v between the r and c. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Johndpumo, did you bypass the original thermostat? If so, how? Do you have 220/240VAC between blue and black at the relay?

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  05:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I did. I get 24v between r and w. But never to the blk(common) when I jump r and e the system works
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page