New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
at the thermostat or at the relay? e?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes. where you put toe wires into the nest. I kind of gave up. If you can help it would be appreciated. thanks
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the relay, measure to voltage between C and R. What is the result?

Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to use the two wires that ran to the existing thermostat and tie them into the aube 840T, mount the the aube to the side of the ajoining junction box and then have a short run looped behind the wall of the W R C wires to the new wi-fi enable Honeywell thermostat... I guess this won't work because what does one do with the blue wire?? Sorry for being confusing. Any help is appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  1:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
melvinp, any thermostat is simply a heat controlled on/off switch. That's what your original thermostat is and that's why it needs only two wires.

The Aube thermostat is no different. It's a switch that's controlled by a low voltage thermostat instead of heat. The switch contacts are the red an black wires.

What is being switched is one side of the 220/240VAC supply. In order to accomplish that, the Aube relay needs power which means that it also needs to connect to the other side of the 220/240VAC power supply. That's what the blue wire is for.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  5:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stusviews
is there an economic way to install the aube relays near the electric pannel with wifi access control to tslk with wifi thermoststs without running 24v cables to thermostats.

i had a Control 4 guy come and give me a quote for do something like this. not cheap, almost $4,000 plus the annual registration to Control 4. for 9 relays for heat, 1 for water heater and 1 for water pump. all installed at the pannel with access points to talk to 3 wifi thermostats, ome on esch level.
for my application it is not practical/possible to run 24v lines from the baseboards to the wall thermostats.

there are the honeywell Econnect/redline modules and wifi thermostats, but this is not cheap either?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  6:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The device that ultimately controls the heater must be wired to the heater.

If you have 110/120VAC near the heater, then you can connect the Aube relay to an I/O Linc and use an INSTEON wireless thermostat to control the I/O Linc.

Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  07:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

melvinp, any thermostat is simply a heat controlled on/off switch. That's what your original thermostat is and that's why it needs only two wires.

The Aube thermostat is no different. It's a switch that's controlled by a low voltage thermostat instead of heat. The switch contacts are the red an black wires.

What is being switched is one side of the 220/240VAC supply. In order to accomplish that, the Aube relay needs power which means that it also needs to connect to the other side of the 220/240VAC power supply. That's what the blue wire is for.

I think I got it but help me here a bit..

So can I accomplish this by combining the red and blue wires from the aube to the red wire from the thermostat and tieing that to the red wire from the heater. The I would wire the black wire from the Aube to the white wire from the heater. Then running the low voltage wires from the Aube to my new wifi thermostat?

I just don't think I can pull wires through the walls but its starting to sound like I may have to... and wire this aube in at the heater.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope. That's kinda like plugging a power strip into itself.

The Aube relay requires power IN from both legs of the 220/240VAC electric supply (two wires) PLUS one switched leg power OUT (one wire).

Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of going with this http://www.amazon.com/Econnect-Wireless-Voltage-Thermostat-Electric/dp/B00937OWU0 I guess I'll have a Aube 840T for sale on Ebay soon! :)

Edited by - melvinp on 10/17/2014 07:48:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Stusviews

I also want to access water pump and water heater remotely. they are on 20amp and 30amp circuits respectively. Not sure the Aube relay will carry those loads?
if so I also need a wifi on/off switch to allow me to activate or deactivate them. How can I do that?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  12:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Load Controller or an Elk relay plus an On/Off Module is more appropriate for a water heater and/or water pump.

INSTEON has wireless controllers, but they're not WiFi. (The Hub is a mix of WiFi and INSTEON wireless.)

WiFi is a protocol usually used for, but not restricted to, personal computers, video-game consoles, smartphones and so on.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  04:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Stusviews,

do you have much experience with Insteon? on another forum, I read inconsistent reviews... especially about their thermostats.

would you recommend installing Insteon hub, insteon devices instead of Honeywell Redlink?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

strainor22
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  5:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Obviously I am also trying to set up a WiFi/remote heating system in my home. From what I understand I need to run the wires from the heater itself to a thermostat on the wall anyway. My baseboards currently have knobs on the unit itself and I was wondering if there anyway that I can connect my baseboard heaters to a thermostat wirelessly? I dont necessarily need WiFi capability I just dont want to run wires all over my house.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  5:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jfcouture: Honeywell Redlink is an HVAC automation system. INSTEON is a home automation protocol that includes switches, keypads, outlets, garage door control and, among other things, control of 24VAC HVAC systems.

Although there are no INSTEON 220/240VAC baseboard heating controllers, Aube has a device that allows any low voltage thermostat such as the INSTEON thermostat to control baseboard heating. A Hub is not required for on-site remote control, for example, a hand held remote or a button an a wired in keypad--that can also control lighting. A Hub is required for WiFi or off-site control. An ISY plus an app is another solution.

strainor22: AFAIK, there are no RF receivers designed to be installed in a baseboard heater junction box. The usual procedure is to to install a relay wired to a thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

strainor22
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I actually did some further research on my own and I found a dimplex set of baseboard heaters that come with a wireless thermostat.
Here is the link for anyone else interested

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dimplex-60-in-2500-Watt-Linear-Proportional-Convector-Baseboard-Heater-PC6025W31/203568782
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  11:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if the Dimplex baseboard heaters are using RF, are there any other (more sophisticated) Thermostats that would be able to control those baseboards?
Go to Top of Page

Artemis68
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  10:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!

I commented on this topic a few pages ago and have just been lurking waiting for an answer that didn't involve this additional module thingy.

My sister-in-law just bought a cabin and decked it out with wifi thermostats from Insteon...and she has baseboards. I noticed on their product page that the thermostat compatible with baseboards still needs an additional peice, but perhaps it's an easier install than trying to make a forced air thermostat work for baseboard? Just thought I'd share. they also have cameras and plug ins that are all on the same app, pretty cool stuff!

Btw. I have purchased two thermostats from this casaconnect people...they are supposed to be delivered in January. I ordered them before I heard about this Insteon product or I probably would have gone with them...but anyway...I'll let you know how they work when I get them installed.

Linnea

Linnea
Go to Top of Page

Artemis68
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  10:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...I think the last time I posted in this forum a hadn't read the most recent posts. I never have any new information!!! #128514;#128514;

Linnea
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  12:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stusviews... I want to consider Insteon system.

At my cottage I get internet through Xplornet 4G satellite. I do not have a static IP address and Xplornet uses double NAT so I cant setup port forwarding access my wifi system remotely. I was wandering if port forwarding is required to access the Insteon Hub remotely...
can you please advise? thanks

thanks
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All, I just found the Holy Grail of wifi thermostats for line voltage baseboard....
It is called Sinopé and is available online at sinopé dot com

still use a web application and connection to talk to the thermostats, but the setup appears to be straight forward and most importantly this is a cost effective solution. $189 for the wifi gateway and 2 thermostats and $65 for each additional thermostat.

will buy one kit and try this. if this work, gone all other thermostats in my cottage...

This is available now at certain Rona stores or online.

It is available online and
Go to Top of Page

Artemis68
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jfcouture, tried the website you suggested and can't find it. Can you by chance put the link in your post?

Linnea
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  08:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he meant sinopetech dot com. It doesn't appear their devices are actually available for sale yet, it looks like they are a startup company still trying to launch.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  09:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry yes sinopetech dot com. they are available now for sales.... either on their website or at selected Rona stores in Quebec...

the online store says they are in stock.

Kit is: GT125-K2 retains for $198 with the wifi gateway and 2 thermostats.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at Rona.ca right now...no sign of it. Jfcouture, are you working for them or employed to promote them? How are you getting this info?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called them this morning and they confirmed that they are on sale at selected Rona stores. Probably not online at Rona yet.

call them, the lady is very kind and friendly.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the info from my electrician who I asked to help me with this application. was going to do the aube relay and 3 wifi thermostats route until he found that information from a website (French) eco-energie-montreal dot com.

I have been looking for an affordable solution for my cottage.
Considered Insteon and C4 and other smart home system. my problem is that I cant do port forwarding with the current Xplornet internet access I have and Xplornet is not very cooperating...

the Sinopé solution does not require port forwarding (at least that is what the nice lady told me this morning).
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  09:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I decided to go with the Sinopetech thermostats as they are by far the most cost effective solution I have come across. I ordered the hub starter kit, and 5 additional thermostats from their website at a cost of $550, including shipping and taxes. It is supposed to arrive on the 18th, I'll let everyone know what I find once everything is installed.
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  06:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could not wait.

bought a kit at Rona l'entrepot in Laval..... $199 (less a 15% store rebate on saturday) internet hub and 2 programable thermostats.

changed 2 old thermostats in main livingroom. 15 minutes later, up and running.

setup is a breeze. created an account, entered hub id, pressed a few buttons. Voila! connected and ready for remote control.......

will try them for a while..... if no problems, then gone the rest of the old thermostats.....
Go to Top of Page

billybob
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  07:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI JF, was this for electric baseboard heaters? What brand is it?

quote:
Originally posted by jfcouture

could not wait.

bought a kit at Rona l'entrepot in Laval..... $199 (less a 15% store rebate on saturday) internet hub and 2 programable thermostats.

changed 2 old thermostats in main livingroom. 15 minutes later, up and running.

setup is a breeze. created an account, entered hub id, pressed a few buttons. Voila! connected and ready for remote control.......

will try them for a while..... if no problems, then gone the rest of the old thermostats.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page