Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes direct replacement for line voltage baseboard thermostats....

the device is calles sinopé. go at sinopetech dot com and see for yourself.
the wifi programable thermostat is reasonably priced.
Go to Top of Page

billybob
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  3:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went to Rona in Gatineau and purchased the same product. The initial kit, at $199 comes with the internet hub and 2 thermostats, additional thermostats go for around $70. Can't wait to go and install it at the cottage. The product is called Sinope, you could get more info at www.sinopetech.com.
I get a lot of power outages up at the cottage...I hope the internet hub that connects to the router does not require a reset after every power outage.

Go to Top of Page

SteveW25561
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  3:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also just ordered a set of these as well from the Sinope website directly. I think it's interesting that after waiting years for plug-and-play baseboard Wi-Fi thermostats, we see two of them being released now, both from the Montreal area.

The Sinope system seems to be much more cost-effective (compared to the about to be released Caleo system) because each additional thermostat is much cheaper because it doesn't require its own Wi-Fi connectivity stack. I also like that this system forms a mesh network so each thermostat basically propagates the signal to its next closest thermostat.

The website states it will resume the prior operating mode on a power failure/restoration, and I certainly hope this works reliably because I am planning to install it at my cottage where there are some power outages from time to time. I would hate for this system to go back to an "occupied" mode when I want it to stay in "away" mode most of the time unless we activate it for when we are out there.

The biggest worry I have with these kinds of systems is if the company goes under, that we would then lose the server which handles the remote connectivity.

Edited by - SteveW25561 on 11/16/2014 3:25:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine arrived today. They're much smaller than I expected them to be, huge bonus. Here's a shot with it sitting on a standard piece of 8.5x11 paper. http://1drv.ms/1t9OFZo

Edited by - gwydionjhr on 11/18/2014 10:28:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

dennisbt
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit dennisbt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we too have a summer place where I would like to install a wifi thermostat that I can trigger from my computer We have electric heat, power and wifi (modem and router) on site.
Can I simply replace the existing thermostat with a nest or something similar?
I would like to be able to override the wifi thermostat manually when we are there.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the Nest alone won't work because it's for low voltage (24VAC) control and electric heaters are line voltage (110/120VAC or 220/240VAC).

You'll need either an Aube relay as mentioned on the earliest post plus any standard thermostat including the Nest or one of the devices especially made for electric heat as referred in the last few posts.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

dennisbt
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit dennisbt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennisbt

we too have a summer place where I would like to install a wifi thermostat that I can trigger from my computer We have electric heat, power and wifi (modem and router) on site.
Can I simply replace the existing thermostat with a nest or something similar?
I would like to be able to override the wifi thermostat manually when we are there.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
found exactly what I was looking for
www.sinopetech.com
from an earlier post
2 thermostats with wifi controllable kit $198.95 Canadian including shipping
Go to Top of Page

AmikLake
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  11:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help.
Aube 840T: What is the point of the red led? Why does it flash slightly, buzz and cause the Cyberstat thermostat to reset momentarily to 00 from the room temp? No data on pdf warranty notes for the Aube to explain.

We're in test mode for remote baseboard heat; can't get the Cyberstat to not flash green.

We're so close to getting this to work, that it will frustrate us the rest of the day. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you may have it wired incorrectly.

Can you double check exactly what terminal on the Cyberstat is wired to on the Aube RC840T-240?

I have seen one post where the user had a 120 volt baseboard heaters.
Not common but you may want to verify yours are 220 volts. If they are 120 volts. The RC840T-240 would be putting out around 12 volt AC control voltage. That is probably too low for the Cyberstat.

The Cyberstat you are using. Is a model CY1201? I did download its manual for reference.

Edited by - BLH on 11/29/2014 06:49:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ordered the Sinope solution online at http://www.sinopetech.com last Wednesday and received it yesterday (Monday), less than a week to ship internationally from Canada to Buffalo, NY. Plus with the dollar conversion, I paid less than $200 all in! Will install Friday and report back.. So far just impressed with the speed of shipping and the size of the product is sleek. My big question is "Sinope, where have you been? We've been looking for a solution like this forever!" Smarthome, you guys need to carry this product for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Imposter
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once the Sinope is up and running, can anyone report on whether it allows you to turn off the heat completely, or if it maintains a minimum temperature no matter what?
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, the Minimum temp setting is 5C. Although I did discover in my poking around that you can set up email notifications if a specified Min/Max is exceeded.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All thermostats have minimum and maximum settings. That doesn't mean that you can't turn then off.

Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest contacting Sinope directly, the CS has been pretty damn good so far.
Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot.. If all works I'll have a Honeywell's RTH8580WF Wi-Fi Thermostat and a Aube RC840T-240 I'll be looking to rid myself of at a considerable discount if anyone is interested. Both items have seen power one time for approximately 15mins. PM me if interested otherwise they will be someone's sweet find on craigslist or ebay!
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connected 8 Sinope thermostats at my cottage ($195 for gateway and 2 thermostats kit at Rona, and 6 additional thermostats from Sinope at $65 each). Quite reasonable considering that Stelpro replacement programmable thermostats cost about that much.

Sinope delivered for free the thermostats and they arrived the next day!

less than 1 hour for the installation.
Linking to gateway was a breeze.
Wifi linking also a breeze.
Programming through neviweb slow but very straight forward.

Some nice features: the settings tells you the load connected to each thermostat and consumption statistics...

Day one of operation... Will see!
Go to Top of Page

pantala
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2014 :  9:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I'm doing a basic conversion of an existing line voltage thermostat to a Nest using an Aube RC840T-240. I got everything wired and the Nest powers up but when it calls for heat the relay clicks on and off rapid fire until the Nest senses something is wrong and goes into delay mode. I get 24V across the W and Rh wires. Any ideas? Could this be an indication of a bad relay?

Thanks,

ph
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2014 :  10:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Describe the specifics of the installation. Where did you mount the Aube relay? What did you do about the original thermostat? Which specific wires were connected to what? Are there any red line voltage wires? white line voltage wires?

You should get 24VAC between R and C.

Go to Top of Page

pantala
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply! I'm replicating this installation so the relay is in the wiremold box. https://community.nest.com/thread/4070

The original thermostat is removed and replaced with the relay + Nest. Behind the old thermostat was two wires, both were black but L1 is incoming power and I connected it to the black Aube wire. L2 goes to the heater and I connected it to the red and blue Aube wires. I do get 24VAC between R and C off the relay.

Thanks again for your assistance.

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Describe the specifics of the installation. Where did you mount the Aube relay? What did you do about the original thermostat? Which specific wires were connected to what? Are there any red line voltage wires? white line voltage wires?

You should get 24VAC between R and C.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  2:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The two wires at the thermostat are not L1 and L2, they are power-in (line) and power-out (load). That won't work because you need two power-in wires and two power-out wires.

Go to Top of Page

pantala
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  3:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for your reply. The Aube RC840T indicates that it takes power in and load lines though, unless I'm misreading the diagram. It also only has three wires so I'm not sure where four wires would connect.

If the Aube is not compatible with my installation is there an option for me to convert this to 24V to control via Nest?

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The two wires at the thermostat are not L1 and L2, they are power-in (line) and power-out (load). That won't work because you need two power-in wires and two power-out wires.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  6:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aube manual shows one wire, L1, going to black (line 1 in, first wire), one wire going to blue (line 2 in, second wire) and also to the heater (line 2 out, third wire) and a fourth wire between red and the heater.

No matter which 24VAC thermostat you use, the Aube needs to be wired correctly. In a few installations, power is brought first to the thermostat and then to the heater. That's the situation in your link.

But more often, power enters at the heater and then two and only two wires run to the thermostat. In that case, the usual location for the Aube relay is at the heater's junction box. The a 3-wire thermostat cable is run to wherever you want to install the thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2014 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 3 after line voltage wifi connection.

All is working great. Monitoring usage, i found that some baseboards are used more than others on a dayly cycle. Not quite sure why yet, but i can vary temperature settings to even out usage between rooms.

This new feeedom si greaaaat?

this is the Holy Grail.
Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  12:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the Sinope's installed in mins... (installation is a ski condo) The thing I like most about this solution is that the starter kit comes with 2 - Thermostats so I control both zones. One other installation note is that the thermostat units are expecting a electrical box to screw into (but wall anchors will work).

The only problem I had was that my internet was not working... Thanks Time Warner! So I will be going up this weekend to play with the wifi portion and the web interface (let's hope I can change the display to fahrenheit).

I was able to return my Honeywell Wifi Thermostat offload one of my Aube's, I still have one on eBay is anyone is interested...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aube-RC840T-277-Switching-Electric-Heat-Relay-w-Built-in-24V-Transformer-/221637609294?

I will report back more later... So far great product!

Go to Top of Page

SteveW25561
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that I started this thread more than 2 years ago! Otherwise, I would've never heard of the Sinope thermostats.

I installed this myself at my cottage and have expanded it further to a total of 7 zones. I love the internet connectivity, and the individual cost of the thermostats is so much less than buying multiple WiFi enabled, dedicated thermostats like the Nest or Honeywell versions. I do like the subtle appearance of the Sinope's as well.

The mesh network that they set up allows reliable range extension between zones as well. By consolidating the Internet conductivity into a single gateway, it saves on complexity and configuration complications.

I strongly suggest that Smarthome consider carrying these. In addition, the company really needs to do a much better job in marketing and better search engine optimization. It's almost impossible to find them on the web even with a Google search.

This solution beats out the other one that was in a Kickstarter project [which I pledged to but I'm now thankful that it didn't complete its funding] because the cost of the Sinope system is much more attractive.

The web server application works quite well and makes configuration of the thermostats really easy. I certainly hope that the company has good longevity so that the internet app will be available to us indefinitely. My worry with ANY web-based company or service is that should the company go under, upgrade their platform or simply decide to stop supporting it, people are left with bricks. Even major players like Google and Apple will retire products (eg. Google Reader, Orkut, Apple's .mac service or attempt at a social music service) and this is the risk of using any web service.

I strongly suggest anyone looking at a wifi solution for electric baseboard consider this plug and play solution.

Note: I have no affiliation with the company!
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stevew25561

keep in mind that sinope is only available since the end of October. i am sure they are not aware of the buz this relase is creating. me too was looking up to the other alternative ( interestingly from a company located in the same part of quebec). it is not yet available and their pre-order pricing is ridiculous. Sinope is essentially the same price as any programmable line voltage thermostat.
I also dont have an affiliation with Sinope.

i have been looking for an affordable and simple solution for my cottage and sinope is really the Holy Grail. Hopefully they will release their code so that api can be developed for other automation systems.

Edited by - jfcouture on 12/18/2014 04:56:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one week after Sinope connection!

all is good... will probably now replace the remaining 3 thermostats in bathrooms to get a full connection.

tried remote connection a few times. works like a charm.

it is also quite useful to get consumption statistics. This helps identify which baseboards are used most and adjust temperature settings through out the cottage accordingly. would be nice to be able to download the stats, say once a month.

I am really pleased with Sinope....

Edited by - jfcouture on 12/20/2014 10:08:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, after playing with the Sinope installation over the holiday break at my ski condo...

I am thoroughly impressed! It all works as advertised. I have the starter package, 2 Thermostats and the internet gateway.

-Excited that I was able to change the thermostats from Celsius to Ferinheight
-I love the ability to turn the backlight "always on", it serves as a nifty little night light!
-I love the ability to show the outside temperature on the device..(nice feature for ski country)

My wife and I found ourselves checking the which zones where firing and when, it has really helped us dial-in a comfortable environment in our ski condo. I was able to fire up the heat on my way in so that I did not hear the dreaded "I'm cold daddy" from the kids...

I had one "User Error" (website for remote control does not work when browsing in "private" mode), and when I contacted Sinope their response time was super quick.... I'm sold, especially at the price point and ease of installation.

The only downside is, I wish Sinope had a solution for my forced air system at home! I could get everything in one app/interface.

Smarthome you guys need to distribute this product it's a home run for Electric Baseboard heating!
Go to Top of Page

melvinp
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  10:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jfcouture

.... would be nice to be able to download the stats, say once a month.

You always have option of cutting these to CSV, not automated, but still does the trick!

See Image:

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  1:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is this rated for the united states?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: