Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  06:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have experience with the Honeywell eConnect? Seems like a great system for controlling electric baseboard heat remotely.
Go to Top of Page

Imposter
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Honeywell eConnect thermostats. The system is great: easy and full functionality via the app on my Android phone or a web browser, temp or permanent adjustments to the heat setting, 7-day scheduling, all sorts of smart functions.
My main complaint is that there is no Off setting. It can only go as low as 41degrees. To that end, I'm figuring out how to use a relay on each heating circuit to enable/disable the power. I'll report back here when I have it sorted out.
Go to Top of Page

Laurencep
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gwydionjhr,
My name is Laurence, Communication Marketing Advisor for Sinopé Technologies. We are currently working on an API. The API allows the integration into other home automation systems. We also have other thermostats compatible with other applications. Soon, we will launch a Wireless communication thermostat (4000W) and a Wireless communication thermostat for floor heating.
Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by gwydionjhr

Any word on how Sinope is coming along with extending the functionality/communication with the thermostats into other ecosystems?

Go to Top of Page

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know, Imposter. So if you want to winterize the cabin and turn off the heat, you can't?

Did you install it yourself or have someone install it?
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  4:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you need to shut offf the heaters for extended period of time, you only need to turn off the breaker at the pannel. how more simple can this be? other than to service the baseboard, why would you need a shut offf at the thermostat?
Go to Top of Page

alien8er
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  6:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interested in this device. When you set a setpoint of say 20 degrees and say it's the middle of summer it will be able to read the current temp indoors and not turn on the heat correct? I'd like to have this as brainless as possible.
Go to Top of Page

gouache
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks jfcouture; sorry to be such a dunce.

Does anyone have experience installing an eConnect? A local electrician asked for $1100 to install it, plus $450 for the materials. That seems insane. I'm wondering if I could do the job myself.
Go to Top of Page

Lindahl
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  1:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best way to do this is replace all your line voltage thermostats with the Aube TH115 series (model dependent on your line voltage).

These thermostats have a 'vacation mode' that can be remotely activated with a contact closure. You'll have to run the wires for contact closure to each thermostat. You can then hook up any contact closure Wifi device to these contact closures. If you use Insteon, you can use the Insteon IO Linc.

Alternatively, you can have it connected to a home security system that has programmable outputs for 'Away' armed (like the DSC Power Series) - such that when the security system is armed in 'Away' mode, the thermostats go into power saving mode. When you return, the thermostats go back to normal operational mode.
Go to Top of Page

td234
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been a long time lurker and felt the need to chime in. I have same problem, but my baseboard heaters have a dial on the actual heater, so you have to get on your knees behind the sofa to turn on the heat. For this application the Sinope will not work.

I have looked at the Honeywell system that has a low-voltage thermostat and connect wirelessly to relays on the baseboard heaters. Pretty nice system, but expensive and uses their own hub. For example, in my LR I have two heaters with two controls. This one room would cost me almost $250-300. Add three bedrooms to that and I have spent over $1000 for thermostats.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/pages/product.aspx?cat=HonECC%20Catalog&pid=YTL9160AR1000/U

Has anyone found an alternative to this two part system. Sure would like one that uses a standard like Zwave, but more economical is the priority. Would also like

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  08:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also considered the honeywell option,... until i found out about sinopé. this is a direct retrofit option. simply replace the old line voltage thermostats with a sinope one (2 models now, 3000 and 4000w), connect to the gateway, voila. all thermostats are connected and can be accessed via a web page. at c$69.95 each thermostst this is a very inexpensive solution...
got 8 thermostats connected, will add 2-3 more this fall for less used rooms.

sinopé said they were going to develop api for the gateway. not sure when. you can contact them and ask.

look at previous posts for more about sinope.
Go to Top of Page

keldez
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  11:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Try here: http://motison.com/

Quoting from the Motison website:
#9726;Does not work with line voltage heaters

KelDez

Edited by - keldez on 09/20/2015 11:21:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  10:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keldez, that was a source for a Canadian looking for a particular WiFi thermostat to be used with an Aube relay which is line voltage. That was also more than 2 1/2 years ago. Include context when quoting

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

benebob
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't describe how poor my experience with Sinope has been. Ordered the starter kit and a 4000w stat for my vacation home. Liked everything about it until I installed it. The 3000w stats were fine the 4000w reads wattage at 3/4 of what it should i.e. 2683 when it is hooked to a 2000w and 1500w baseboard, tried on the other baseboards and same thing, tested a 3000w tstat on the indvidual baseboards and guess what 1500 and 2000w, tested the 4000w and roughly 1500 and 1100 on the same baseboards. It gets better. Company nicely sends a replacement out as they are responsive to my email I figure I might as well use this opp to get two more for the bathrooms I wasn't going to do until I vetted the system. Well they ship 3 3000w stats, then the next day a 4000w stat after I explain I had taken time off to go the 3 hour drive one way to install it for a second time.

The 2nd 4000w thermostat does the exact same thing. Of course they do everything to say it isn't their issue however, I have checked with 2 licensed electricians ran all the tests that they said to do and guess what it it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It might just be a duck. Of course this does nothing for the function of the stat, only all your data is wrong and of course they claim the 4000w can't be manually listed for voltage b/c "its sensor is so reliable". Don't do a duck walk away RUN! Seems they are not selling an honest product that has been fully vetted.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  12:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rating for the thermostat is the maximum load. Except for that, it is entirely unrelated to the rating of the heater.

You can connect a 1000 watt heater to a 3000 watt thermostat or to a 4000 watt thermostat, the heater is still a 1000 watt heater.

Go to Top of Page

scavenger
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I can't describe how poor my experience with Sinope has been.

Actually, they sound like they accommodated you very nicely even though you were confused. And yes, a power supply will only supply as much power as requested, up to its maximum load.

It sounds like there wasn't anything wrong with the units.

I love mine, I have a mesh of 10 of them and our heating bills have plummeted.
Go to Top of Page

benebob
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  1:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scavenger

quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I can't describe how poor my experience with Sinope has been.

Actually, they sound like they accommodated you very nicely even though you were confused. And yes, a power supply will only supply as much power as requested, up to its maximum load.

It sounds like there wasn't anything wrong with the units.

I love mine, I have a mesh of 10 of them and our heating bills have plummeted.

Explain how there is nothing wrong with the units when they don't read the correct wattage for the heaters since I am "confused"> :) The 4000w units I received read roughly 75% of what the heater output is on every single heater it is hooked to while the 3000w units do not. Lets say you have a 1500 watt heater and put the 4000w unit on it. It will read 1186 watts. Makes using the calculator pretty useless and makes me wonder about the overall quality of the product. They also loose connection on their website quite often compared to all of the existing z wave components I have in the place. Guess you get what you pay for. Great concept but simply poorly executed.
Go to Top of Page

benebob
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The rating for the thermostat is the maximum load. Except for that, it is entirely unrelated to the rating of the heater.

You can connect a 1000 watt heater to a 3000 watt thermostat or to a 4000 watt thermostat, the heater is still a 1000 watt heater.

I don't know what math you are using but when I add 1500 and 2500 I get 3500w not 2653 which is what the 4000w thermostats claim is there. When used on other circuits the 4000w thermostats are also roughly 75% of the correct voltage while the 3000w stats power up and say the correct amount.
Go to Top of Page

Jammer
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just installed 6 Sinopé wifi stats in my Cabin this wkend.
5 stats on main floor .1 for each room .
Very ez to install & CONNECT. I am not very Techy but a somewhat competent DIY with electrical.

I also installed the 6th 3000w stat in Crawlspace on a 120v 1500w milkhouse heater.
This will be swapped out later with a proper 3000w heater on a 240v circuit of its own .
Probably be more effective

So far so good as I'm impressed with the Sinopé.

Need to get some kind of WiFi stat for Fireplace?
Fireplace is a millivolt standing pilot.
Any suggestions. ..nest , ecobee , Honeywell

Too bad Sinopé doesn't make something yet for this??
That's a hint Sinopé
Go to Top of Page

Sinope
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jammer

Just installed 6 Sinopé wifi stats in my Cabin this wkend.
5 stats on main floor .1 for each room .
Very ez to install & CONNECT. I am not very Techy but a somewhat competent DIY with electrical.

I also installed the 6th 3000w stat in Crawlspace on a 120v 1500w milkhouse heater.
This will be swapped out later with a proper 3000w heater on a 240v circuit of its own .
Probably be more effective

So far so good as I'm impressed with the Sinopé.

Need to get some kind of WiFi stat for Fireplace?
Fireplace is a millivolt standing pilot.
Any suggestions. ..nest , ecobee , Honeywell

Too bad Sinopé doesn't make something yet for this??
That's a hint Sinopé

Hi,

My name is Valerie from Sinope. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a good comment on our product. We are glad you enjoy it. As for your suggestion, I am transferring it to our development team.

Best regards,
Go to Top of Page

jeff_arko
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  7:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone provide basic instructions for connecting the Sinope single pole (2 wire) thermostat to replace a dual pole (4 wire) thermostat?

I love these thermostats and the WiFi connectivity. I have three going in and would like to be knowledgeable before I call an electrician.

Thanks so much, Sinope for a product that brings line voltage thermostats in to the modern age of connected smart home!
Go to Top of Page

Sinope
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  05:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeff_arko

Can anyone provide basic instructions for connecting the Sinope single pole (2 wire) thermostat to replace a dual pole (4 wire) thermostat?

I love these thermostats and the WiFi connectivity. I have three going in and would like to be knowledgeable before I call an electrician.

Thanks so much, Sinope for a product that brings line voltage thermostats in to the modern age of connected smart home!

Hi,

Thank you for getting our product, we are very happy that you like it! As for your question, please send us an e-mail at [email protected] We have a wiring diagram we can send you.

Best regards
Go to Top of Page

frayjusto
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  07:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note on the 4000w version, responding to the above: I got a few 3000w and also a 4000w, and I had the same experience as benebob: the 3000w heaters allow you to specify the total wattage of the connected heater(s), but the 4000w does not, and reads a lower total wattage than you get adding up the total. So, say my 4000w is connected to 3 heaters that total 3400w, the thermostat's "Power consumption" field will read something like "2413 watts", and unlike the 3000 version, won't let you change it.

I don't know enough about electricity, and I didn't measure the actual wattage the heaters are using, so it's possible there's something I'm missing.

Regardless, it only affects the consumption data; a little disappointing but not a big deal. I find the system works great, never had a single problem with the connectivity, & the website is intuitive and scales nicely from my computer down to my phone. I'm impressed.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  8:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actual power consumed is often less than the rated power. Rated power is the maximum that the heater can output. But the heater may not be running at maximum at all times.

Go to Top of Page

Sinope
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, for those who might be interested, I am happy to report that the Application Programming Interface (API) for Sinopé Technologies is now available for authorized professional integrators. The first automation system to be compatible with our platform is Control4. We are currently working to make neviweb compatible with many more systems. Consult the “support” section of our website http://www.sinopetech.com/en/support/#api regularly since it’s where we will add new systems as soon as they’re confirmed. Best regards

Edited by - Sinope on 01/13/2016 1:26:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Artemis68
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone!

I posted way WAY back when looking for a solution for wifi for my cabin baseboards. I did end up buying the Caleo product fro their Kickstarter....and finally got around to installing and videoing the processes.

It's totally amateur, but if it's a product that you're interested in knowing a little more about here's my video.

http://youtu.be/8qQ_CJNCwAo

Not paid or endorsed or any of that crap either. :)

Linnea

Linnea
Go to Top of Page

StoneCond0
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeff_arko

I installed a Sinope' thermostat in my condo with that configuration. Note: I am not a licensed electrician. I am an engineer, but that does not make me qualified to give advice on this question. Here is my brief story.

The ancient wall-timer thermostat that came with my unit had 4 wires. The heaters it runs are 240VAC fan-forced wall heaters. When I removed the old thermostat I foolishly assumed the wiring was done where the wire color has meaning. Do NOT let that mislead you, or you may end up much worse off than I did! I unfortunately did not photograph the wires before taking everything apart.

My assumption was that two of the wires ran to the panel (and had the same polarity) and the other two wires then ran to the heaters. The return path was assumed to not be wired through the thermostat junction box. I had run into that configuration nearby in the recent past. Another very bad assumption. Hence I wired the two "panel wires" to one Sinope' lead and the two "heater wires" to the other Sinope' lead. Yes, I do have a digital voltmeter but I was too smart to even turn it on!

I proudly finished installing the Sinope' and hit the breaker. BAM! Was that a nuclear bomb that just went off? What is that cloud of smoke?

Fortunately the master breaker did its job and the only damage was to my pride.

Now I dug out the digital voltmeter and made an astounding discovery! Two of the wires had zero voltage (relative to ground) and the other two had 120VAC voltage relative to ground. But they were of opposite polarity. Meaning they showed 240 VAC from one wire to the other. Uh oh, this thing is wired much differently than I assumed.

I went online and dug up a couple wiring diagrams for 240VAC line voltage thermostats. OK, now I see what we have. Most likely the two heaters are wired in parallel across the load wires off the old thermostat. Meaning each heater sees the full 240VAC that is available. (that would not be the case if the heaters were wired in parallel) So, this means I can wire one load wire (one side of the heaters) directly to one of the 240 VAC lines. For sake of argument say that the return current path is now hard wired to one of the 240 VAC leads. Then the Sinope' thermostat simply goes between the alternate line wire and the other heater input wire. The thermostat has to be closed circuit for power to flow all the way through the heaters. So that is what I did and it works great. The heaters I am running are 1000W each so two of them are 2000W, well under the max 3000W of the Sinope' thermostat.

So the key is to attach one heater wire to one line voltage wire. Then put the thermostat between the other line wire and other heater wire. Problem solved. You do need to determine the max current that is going to flow through the circuit so you don't overload the Sinope' thermostat.

On an editorial note, using a 2-wire thermostat configuration makes things simple but it is not a good configuration. It is much better to turn off both current paths with the thermostat. When you only turn off one side the entire circuit remains energized. Making it easy for a serious problem to develop.

Since I do not have a way to draw a diagram I hope the explanation helps. May you learn something from my hard knocks!

On a side note, I am extremely happy with the Sinope' thermostats. I installed 4 of them. Only one had a 4-wire situation to address. The rest were 2-wire installations.

The thermostats I replaced had a 12 degree temperature swing! The 1 degree swing of the Sinope' thermostats make them well worth their very modest price. I am now able to set the set point much lower than with the crappy old units. The heaters run more frequently but when they come on they run for a very short time. Necessary for the superior temperature control they provide! I love my Sinope' thermostats!

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  06:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, i have 8 sinope thermostat instaleed and working well for over 1 year now.

Sinope says that they are working to open their thermostats to other applications... We dont know when thst will be.

Anyway, they now have big name competition with z-wave compatibility... Check at stelpro... 4000w and z-wave compatible...

http://www.stelpro.com/en-CA/4000-w-ki-thermostat-smart-home

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Available at aartech for C$89.89...

https://www.aartech.ca/stz402-zwave-line-voltage-baseboard-thermostat.html
Go to Top of Page

Dickvan
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  11:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickvan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am too tired to recreate the long article that I had written that this site managaed to lose in the forever process of getting me registered.

Short form:
Aube relay
any modern thermostat
vendor apps.
Go to Top of Page

Smarto
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jfcouture

this discussion is very useful. thanks.

i wish thermostats makers would make this easier and simply offer wifi thermostats for 240v baseboards. find it hard to beleive there is no market for that. Where i come from electric baseboard is pretty standard heating system.

Anyway, at my cottage I have over 12 thermostats to control the electric baseboards. to control that through wifi, i would have to buy 12 Aube relays and 12 24v wifi thermostats. A very expansive solution. I can't rewire the whole cottage.

are there any other affordable solution?

Jean-Francois

The solution is simple. You buy 12 wireless switches such as the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB2MMNE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=247PG5MEP4GNT&coliid=IX9BXCVH8P5T4&psc=1

You wire it between the current thermostat and the baseboard heater and leave the old thermostat alone. When you don't want the heaters turned on then you simply turn off the switch remotely and no matter what the thermostats do, the heat won't turn on. When you want the heat on then you turn on the switches and now the heat will be controlled by the thermostat.

You can look for high wattage switches and then you only need a few.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page