New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  05:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Only way to go. I jerked around with relays and the nest. This worked perfect and was easy to install.http://www.sinopetech.com/en/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what seems to be the ONLY SIMPLE answer for wifi baseboard heating control : https://Spam/en/caleo/

Edited by - n/a on 02/06/2017 07:24:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  07:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what seems to be the ONLY SIMPLE answer for wifi baseboard heating control :
https://www.Spam/en/caleo/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  07:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHY DOES THE WEB ADDRESS I POINT CONVERTS TO *SPAM* WHEN POSTING MY ANSWER ??
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  07:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam/en/caleo/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is ridiculous...... :-(
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  08:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC there was a spat with the Caleo folks a while back and they were banned.

At a $130 bucks a pop, you'd have to be off your nut to buy them anyway, the Sinope and Stelpros are a much better value, AND they properly integrate for other HA systems.
Go to Top of Page

jeff_arko
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  08:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sinope wi-fi line voltage thermostat is a much better solution. FYI: Sinope is planning a dual pole wi-fi thermostat (for those of us needing 4 wires) for release in late March/early April 2017.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  10:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a terrible problem in this forum for a while where several companies tried to advertise their products by creating new accounts and posting fake customer reviews. Sometimes they weren't even products, they were only ideas for gadgets that wanted you to fund their crowdsourcing project. They'd post one or two or five or ten messages that did nothing but push their wares, then reappear and post the exact same thing later using a new user account. It was forum spam.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I see this is more for setting up multiple zones. Besides the thermostat module, you also need a.. lack for a better term.. a hub that goes between the thermostat module and the outside world. Is there a standalone type module that communicates with the outside world??

Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by jeff_arko

The Sinope wi-fi line voltage thermostat is a much better solution. FYI: Sinope is planning a dual pole wi-fi thermostat (for those of us needing 4 wires) for release in late March/early April 2017.

Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need the hub to talk to the outside world. They sell a starter system with two thurmstates and a hub. Easy to set up. I just added three more thurmstates . Same hub. Works great!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  6:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johndpumo

You need the hub to talk to the outside world. They sell a starter system with two thurmstates and a hub. Easy to set up. I just added three more thurmstates . Same hub. Works great!

Who sells a starter kit with two thermostats? Do you have a link?

I do see an Insteon Hub Starter Kit with two LampLincs, but I don't see any with thermostats.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  7:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go to amazon dot com and do a search on sinope.

I do not understand the technology... perhaps I am wrong, cant find enough info. I don't want to buy one piece to find I need something else.

Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:

I do see an Insteon Hub Starter Kit with two LampLincs, but I don't see any with thermostats.

Go to Top of Page

jeff_arko
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  9:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sinope has it available on their web site. (NOTE: I do not work for Sinope ... just like their products for line voltage & wi-fi setup.)

http://www.sinopetech.com/en/boutique/products/neviweb-en/starter-kit-electric-heating-thermostats-wireless-communication-3000w/
BR
BR
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  08:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:

You can buy the Sinope's direct, Best Buy also carries them as well.

I own the Sinope's and like them very much. They are smart enough to detect the size of each baseboard heater and the web interface uses your postal code to look up what you're paying for electricity and then calculates what it costs to heat each room.  The down side to the Sinope approach is that if the web server back end goes away you are likely hooped.  As a silo the Sinope's a great, but the minute you want to integrate them into a larger HA solution things become more difficult.

I currently have a SmartThings Z-Wave hub. To create functionality like "if window in Room A is open, shut off baseboard in Room A" requires a bunch of extra work, including cutting and pasting code out of GitHub. Not exactly user friendly. 

The Stelpros are a similar price and come in two flavours, Z-Wave and Zigbee. The advantage of the Stelpro approach is that they're using an agreed upon communication standard.  It means that even if Stelpro were to go bellyup, there would still be hubs that could recognize these devices and control them.

There was a crazy sale on Amazon.ca on the Z-Wave Stelpros last week and I grabbed a bunch to try them out. Still waiting to see if they're actually going to ship or I'm going to get a "we made a mistake" type email.
Go to Top of Page

jeff_arko
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... just to help/remind readers:

The Stelpro thermostats are only 2-wire.
For those of us looking for 4-wire wi-fi thermostats ... Sinope is the only option. Open to recommendations from others. But they have to 4-wire thermostats.
Go to Top of Page

Smarto
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeff_arko

... just to help/remind readers:

The Stelpro thermostats are only 2-wire.
For those of us looking for 4-wire wi-fi thermostats ... Sinope is the only option. Open to recommendations from others. But they have to 4-wire thermostats.

According to Sinope installation guide (I don't own one yet), if you have 4 wire then you connect 2 wires together. You may be able to do the same thing with Stelpro.
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  6:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for those who have the Sinope. How do you adjust the readings? app or website? I have cable internet and I believe they block port 80. So you look up another port number.. what port number? I guess you set the web interface to a station ip, then open up that port. Also a screen shot of what it would look like would help me.
Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you don't have to open a port. connect the hub to the internet. it talks to the mother ship through there web site. and yes you connect the two white wires together and the two black go through the thermostat.
Go to Top of Page

frayjusto
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  06:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucecs63

for those who have the Sinope. How do you adjust the readings? app or website?

The interface is cloud-based, so you aren't actually connecting to the box in your home. (You're connecting to the "mothership", as Johndpumo said). It's a responsive website, so it works fine on your phone and on your tablet / computer. The interface is pretty intuitive... I think I was expecting something more like a home router or whatever; this appears to be designed by humans! (Or at least Canadians.)

The Sinope website links to a demo version (https://demo.neviweb.com/).
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks both, I understand what you mean. I have a weather station that does the same thing, so does Echo and lots of other things. Can anyone post a screen capture, curious what it looks like

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

frayjusto
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  4:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frayjusto

Looks just like the demo! After you enter a zipcode, click on the house icon to enter. The demo lets you edit all the individual thermostats' settings in the same way the live version does.
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  5:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a look... can you see the temp in Fahrenheit? demo shows only Celsius.

Bruce

quote:

quote:

Looks just like the demo! After you enter a zipcode, click on the house icon to enter. The demo lets you edit all the individual thermostats' settings in the same way the live version does.

Go to Top of Page

frayjusto
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucecs63

I took a look... can you see the temp in Fahrenheit? demo shows only Celsius.

Yep, it's a per-user configuration (user profile is accessible via the menu icon on the top right).
Go to Top of Page

brucecs63
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  5:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
getting to play around and like it. Lets say I want to program it off, how would I do that?

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Johndpumo

31 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can only go to 41 degrees. I don't see an off setting.
Go to Top of Page

jeff_arko
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can only turn "OFF" a dual pole line voltage thermostat. (That's why a number of states and building codes require dual pole vs. single pole thermostats.)
Go to Top of Page

Goze211
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  11:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to see if anyone wants to advise me on baseboard thermostats...

I have a three bedroom condo; the main floor is the common area with two 1500 watt baseboard heaters connected to one thermostat, and three rooms upstairs with one 1000 watt baseboard heater each. The spare room is barely used and really doesn't need a smart thermostat, but then again it would be cool, and maybe more efficient, if all rooms had the the same thermostat.

My choice seems to be...

Caleo by Casa, a 3-pack plus one for $380 for all four spaces or...

A Sinope 3000 watt starter system with two more 3000 watt thermostats for $370 for all four spaces...

The Caleo is waaaay sexier I think; no web interface needed, has a color touch screen, etc.

But I am concerned as Casa doesn't seem to be able to produce the product. As of now they won't even let you buy it on their website! They're that far behind!

So I can buy the Sinope which I believe is probably pretty cool or I can wait for who-knows-how-long for Casa the get their s__t together and sell me their thermostats.

Anyone have a third product I should be considering? Or any experience with the Caleo that would shed some light on wether or not it is worth waiting for?

Best,
Goes To Eleven (Goze211)
Go to Top of Page

gwydionjhr

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  10:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a third option would be the Stelpro's. They come in either ZigBee or Z-Wave variants.
Go to Top of Page

Smarto
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come nobody talks about the Nest + Aube relay solution anymore which is the subject of this topic? Is Sinope a better solution?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page