New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

craigTX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  3:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm purchasing a new home in the next few weeks. It currently has an elaborate vivint system installed including:
the 2Gig control panel
two vivint thermostats (one for each A/C system)
a vivint electronic deadbolt on the front door
an ip camera (assuming they leave that.)
and of course sensors on doors, windows, etc.
and possibly more I didn't find during my walk-throughs.

I am NOT willing to sign up for a $68.99 / month package for the next 4 years...

My question is, what features can I take advantage of without their monitoring?

I'd like to be able to monitor and control everything from my Android phone and/or internal / external computers.
Possibly add more z-wave stuff to the system.

I'm a geek, and have no issues with programming stuff, I run my own server, so getting into my network from outside my firewall isn't a problem.

Any ideas? Or do they lock it out forcing you into their contracts?

Thanks

----
Edited title for clarity:
Also, Does anyone know of other monitoring options other than vivint. Do any other companies monitor that system?

Edited by - craigTX on 07/01/2012 3:22:16 PM

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  3:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APX_Alarm_Security_Solutions

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

craigTX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  6:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APX_Alarm_Security_Solutions

I appreciate the link. I've actually already ready that. It gives a good history on the company and general view of public opinion.

I personally would have never purchased a vivint security system (Not a fan of door-to-door sales), but now that I am getting a home with the equipment already installed, i'd really like to know ... what can I do with it?

Thanks,
Craig
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  6:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops, wrong link. Try here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/vivint_home_automation_review

Scroll down for a list of compatible devices that you may be able to use with a different system.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

craigTX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  6:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Oops, wrong link. Try here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/vivint_home_automation_review

Scroll down for a list of compatible devices that you may be able to use with a different system.

Great info... The geek in me is excited to see what it all can do. Plus it looks like it would only be $49.99 / month because I would own the equipment.

Still I would like to know what I could do with the equipment without paying for any service. I see no reason why technically speaking I couldn't do all the automation without paying to go through a third party. But logically speaking, I fear that they have it all locked out unless you use their "service".
Go to Top of Page

cord
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  09:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can actually do a lot with it. vivint may suck, but the hardware is top of the line.

Its 2gig technologies. I have a TS1 touchscreen, door sensors, window sensors, smoke detectors, and motion detectors.

I also have full install and programming access (no lockout), I can buy all my sensors online wholesale cost, and install them myself. I bought my TS1 new for $105, and self installed it.

If you have the 2gig go!control system, make sure you get the lastest firmware (v1.9.5) as this supports many new features including the new Verizon 3g cellular modules. There are tons of alarm.com monitoring companies who can monitor the 2gig panel for between $8-$25/month no contract.

Default installer code for vivint branded 2gig panel is 2203, be sure to default Q43/44 to (0). GSM and CDMA cellular communication modules can be bought almost everywhere online (same as sensors) including eBay. Cellular modules go for around $80 new.

Soon as my contract is up, I will be replacing my module and goimg to a different CS. Examples, geoalarm, discount-alarm.com, frontpoint security, alarm safe, alarm relay

Edited by - cord on 01/02/2013 09:36:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddddesigns
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, like craigTX, am a geek and love programming things. I started my own business in my home and when the APX / Vivint salesman came by I actually bought it. I wish I would have shoved him off my porch but that is that. I since moved and they wouldn't let me out of my contract. I decided to take the old system with me. They decided to renew my contract when I moved and they came out and set up my new system in the new house. My second contract is almost up. I have been playing with the old system. I would like to find a way to get a wifi module in place of the GSM / CDMA module. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee if I can email notifications instead. My iphone receives emails and text messages could be sent via email as well.

Basically, I'd like to find a way to get into the firmware and make some modifications. I think this system is a top-notch system but it has the potential to be even more with the right programming.

My internet source at my home is Verizon Wireless 3G/4G. Therefore, I see no need for me to pay for an additional wireless service.
Go to Top of Page

cord
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  10:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally postedhttp://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=32266.0 by ddddesigns

I, like craigTX, am a geek and love programming things. I started my own business in my home and when the APX / Vivint salesman came by I actually bought it. I wish I would have shoved him off my porch but that is that. I since moved and they wouldn't let me out of my contract. I decided to take the old system with me. They decided to renew my contract when I moved and they came out and set up my new system in the new house. My second contract is almost up. I have been playing with the old system. I would like to find a way to get a wifi module in place of the GSM / CDMA module. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee if I can email notifications instead. My iphone receives emails and text messages could be sent via email as well.

Basically, I'd like to find a way to get into the firmware and make some modifications. I think this system is a top-notch system but it has the potential to be even more with the right programming.

My internet source at my home is Verizon Wireless 3G/4G. Therefore, I see no need for me to pay for an additional wireless service.

I switched, updated my firmware for free (now running v1.10), and now use SuretyCAM month to month, no contract.

Home automation lights/locks/tstat, Geo services, weather, central station monitoring, image sensors, etc $27/month (you can self monitor for $14/month, and get monitoring without home automation for $20/month)

Note- to get notifications/alerts, you still need ADC cellular service. The $14 ADC plan is what you will need to self monitor (no central station monitoring)

Anyways, here is the info for getting the firmware, 3G cellular modules, and alarm.com interactive (ADC)/central station monitoring options:
http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?board=60.0

Step by step instructions:
http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=32266.0

For getting out of Vivint contract see:
http://rive0108.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-cancel-a-Vivint-contract

Good luck

Edited by - cord on 09/01/2013 10:43:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddddesigns
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  2:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cord

quote:
Originally postedhttp://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=32266.0 by ddddesigns

I switched, updated my firmware for free (now running v1.10), and now use SuretyCAM month to month, no contract.

Home automation lights/locks/tstat, Geo services, weather, central station monitoring, image sensors, etc $27/month (you can self monitor for $14/month, and get monitoring without home automation for $20/month)

Note- to get notifications/alerts, you still need ADC cellular service. The $14 ADC plan is what you will need to self monitor (no central station monitoring)

Anyways, here is the info for getting the firmware, 3G cellular modules, and alarm.com interactive (ADC)/central station monitoring options:

Good luck

Cord, While I appreciate that you can save a lot of money with self monitoring through another provider, my goal is to not pay a monthly fee. I have 4G wireless internet (with battery backup) and thus need no 3G Modem. I think I will test out a MagicJack with my system plugged into the POTS line jack. I was hoping to find out if anyone has done something like this but haven't heard yet so I will try soon (in a couple of months) and report back my findings.
Go to Top of Page

cord
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddddesigns

quote:

quote:

Good luck

Cord, While I appreciate that you can save a lot of money with self monitoring through another provider, my goal is to not pay a monthly fee. I have 4G wireless internet (with battery backup) and thus need no 3G Modem. I think I will test out a MagicJack with my system plugged into the POTS line jack. I was hoping to find out if anyone has done something like this but haven't heard yet so I will try soon (in a couple of months) and report back my findings.

It won't work.

The system isn't equipped to send out notifications/texts via POTS to like a cell phone/other phone/VoIP phone
But when you try it, don't forget to gets the 2GIG POTS module (required), you will also need to program the number(s) for the panel to call (setting up numbers for POTS will require you to have programming access, if your panel is locked out you will not be able to do it. You will have to reset the Q44/Q45 lock outs either via ADC/cellular back end, or via POTS PC downloader (not available for DIY'ers)

Q11
Q41

The only way it can be done is via the ADC/cellular module back end

Your not the only person to want to do this though, and the subject has been discussed to death over at the DIY security forums.

It also doesn't matter what kind of wireless internet you have (you don't pay for the wireless, you pay for the interactive online/central station service). The panels use their own pre-activated cellular module/SIM's that only call ADC, the serial of the module is then registered through the back end by the dealer/provider. The panel used 2G modules until recently when they were discontinued, and now it uses 3G modules (requires firmware 1.9.4 and 1.9.6 or higher) there is no support for 4G/LTE.

Its not like a cell phone where you can use your own SIM cards.
For POTS, you need the module (the panel doesn't have built in POTS capability), and then program the CS numbers for it to call. It sends transmissions, and you will need software to translate (even if you get it to call you via POTS, you will not be able to determine if it is sending a low battery/AC power loss/system trouble/tamper/alarm, or what event even triggered it). Any other notifications/emails will not be possible

If you want to self monitor, and be able to receive notifications, alerts and have remote interactive access to panel via internet/smartphone then you are going to have to suck it up and pay $14/month2month no contract

Or you can go the route of $8/month for POTS monitoring

Or, if you don't want to pay anything, then simply go without, and use your system as a local only

On a further note-
I have tried the VoIP route, and currently use it for my home phone (free nationwide long distance/local/voicemail/caller ID) I use a magicjack USB dongle, GV JackApp, Google Voice (I overwrote the magicjack software with $12 GV Jackapp software, and use the free Google Voice service on all my cordless home phones (uniden Dect 6.0) via the magicjack that I bought used for $10. No contract, no subscription, no fees...one time cost $22

Edited by - cord on 09/05/2013 2:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

rjettjr
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  4:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to get pass the lock out? When I login to the system to see or to change the window sensors the system won't let me. I wish to move a sensor from one location to another and to rename it?

rjettjr
Go to Top of Page

cord
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  07:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjettjr

Does anyone know how to get pass the lock out? When I login to the system to see or to change the window sensors the system won't let me. I wish to move a sensor from one location to another and to rename it?

You have to have Q44 reset to 0 default

See:
http://rive0108.hubpages.com/hub/Vunerability-in-Vivint-formally-APX-Alarm-Systems
Go to Top of Page

ryan.boder
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2013 :  2:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ryan.boder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a kit to make this easy.

http://suretydiy.com/product/vivout-freedom-quick-start-kit

Happy 2gigging!

http://suretydiy.com
Go to Top of Page

securitycameras
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  02:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit securitycameras's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

ddddesigns
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I meant was to self monitor (without using alarm.com at all).
Go to Top of Page

Nikki1272
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can actually do a lot with it. vivint may suck, but the hardware is top of the line.

Its 2gig technologies. I have a TS1 touchscreen, door sensors, window sensors, smoke detectors, and motion detectors.

I also have full install and programming access (no lockout), I can buy all my sensors online wholesale cost, and install them myself. I bought my TS1 new for $105, and self installed it.

If you have the 2gig go!control system, make sure you get the lastest firmware (v1.9.5) as this supports many new features including the new Verizon 3g cellular modules. There are tons of alarm.com monitoring companies who can monitor the 2gig panel for between $8-$25/month no contract.

Default installer code for vivint branded 2gig panel is 2203, be sure to default Q43/44 to (0). GSM and CDMA cellular communication modules can be bought almost everywhere online (same as sensors) including eBay. Cellular modules go for around $80 new.

Soon as my contract is up, I will be replacing my module and goimg to a different CS. Examples, geoalarm, discount-alarm.com, frontpoint security, alarm safe, alarm relay

Go to Top of Page

Nikki1272
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cord can you help me with the learning process for adding new sensors that you do not purchase direct from Vivint? I had a different system installed and then changed to vivint. They changed the panel but not my sensors, they just had to learn them to their system... One of my sensors has since died and I purchased a new one and vivint has been very sucky about connecting it remotely. Their customers service representatives are liars across the board. I am very DIY and consider myself to be tech savy. So if you can give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. It is a wireless system there is no way that a tech needs to come out ($44) to do this.
Go to Top of Page

mcesecurity
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  10:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcesecurity's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vivint panels are locked and there is no way to learn in a sensor with out them. I own a alarm company and I lock my panels as well. The only other way to go around vivint is to call alarm.com not vivint and see if they will assist with this. Your sensor needs to be Honeywell or 2gig.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page