Posted - 01/04/2016 :  4:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/301838395215
Go to Top of Page

adammegandavis
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  5:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. Any time, if you run into any more problems don't hesitate to reach out I'll do what I can to help!
Go to Top of Page

rickd438
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigTX

I'm purchasing a new home in the next few weeks. It currently has an elaborate vivint system installed including:
the 2Gig control panel
two vivint thermostats (one for each A/C system)
a vivint electronic deadbolt on the front door
an ip camera (assuming they leave that.)
and of course sensors on doors, windows, etc.
and possibly more I didn't find during my walk-throughs.

I am NOT willing to sign up for a $68.99 / month package for the next 4 years...

My question is, what features can I take advantage of without their monitoring?

I'd like to be able to monitor and control everything from my Android phone and/or internal / external computers.
Possibly add more z-wave stuff to the system.

I'm a geek, and have no issues with programming stuff, I run my own server, so getting into my network from outside my firewall isn't a problem.

Any ideas? Or do they lock it out forcing you into their contracts?

Thanks

----
Edited title for clarity:
Also, Does anyone know of other monitoring options other than vivint. Do any other companies monitor that system?

If you want the best alarm system for the least amount of money and pay ZERO monthly fees (AND I MEAN ZERO) then get a Honeywell vista panel (20P about $40 on ebay) and hook it to a automatic voice dialer (about $20 on ebay), I prefer United Security Products brand. If you don't have a phone line than buy a GSM auto dialer (about $200 NEW). The GSM auto dialer takes a SIM card that you can use a prepaid card or use ALARM SIM dot com (NO MONTHLY FEES). Any alarm you get will call whatever number that you program in. Now if you want to control the whole system from your cell phone, and control z wave (appliances, lights and thermostats) than get a Honeywell Tuxedo, MAKE SURE IT HAS A WEB SERVER BUILT IN. They do have Tuxedo's that do not have a web server built in (about $100-200 on ebay) connect it to the vista panel just like any other keypad, plug in Ethernet cable or if you get a Tuxedo with WIFI, you can simply connect to your router without the Ethernet cable. ALL OF THIS IS SIMPLE TO HOOK UP AND IS THE BEST BY FAR WITH ZERO FEES. Why are alarm companies charging a fee to self monitor? I personally have IP cameras all over, so if my alarm goes off, I just pull up my cameras and see if anyone is around. By the way I view my cameras on my Iphone and pay ZERO dollars for that too. We live in a world that will not tell you how to do this yourself but rather one that wants you to rely on someone else. Then when something goes wrong you can fix it yourself and not rely on a company to do this for you.

Another product I found that may help anyone that wants to do self monitoring and doesn't want (or doesn't have) a phone line is a IP Auto Dialer. It connects to your network and sends the alarm signal over the Internet instead of the phone line eliminating the need for the Auto voice dialer and or GSM dialer. click this link to see this product:http://ipautodialer.com/

Edited by - rickd438 on 01/05/2016 6:25:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kd8hlx
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  3:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a new unbranded panel. I can only add new devices. Is there a way to delete or reset the used devices from the old panel? Lock, thermostat, door contact, etc.
Go to Top of Page

adammegandavis
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To factory reset the panel you disconnect the back up battery and unplug panel power supply. Then with the battery still disconnected press and hold both the home and + buttons while powering the panel with the power supply. A menu will pop up select 0 which will wipe out all current settings and restore them to factory and set the default installer code to 1561. Then follow the programming steps for adding zones and sensors as usual.
Go to Top of Page

kd8hlx
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a new panel so nothing was in there. I can only program new stuff. I cant get my old stuff to program to the new panel. Sorry if I confused you
Go to Top of Page

adammegandavis
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  4:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if your equipment is used program as new, when your adding sensors. As far as the panel is concerned there is no it it can decipher if a sensor has been used previously on another panel or not.
Go to Top of Page

kd8hlx
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought. I have a door lock,door sensor and thermostat right next to the panel and it wont see them.
Go to Top of Page

adammegandavis
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are z-wave devices you have to go to the z-wave which is on the main panel under the security button that says services. Then tap z wave, then tap the wrench in the bottom right hand corner and enter installer code. Follow instructions for z-wave device installation
Go to Top of Page

kd8hlx
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  5:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll start from scratch. Thank you for your help
Go to Top of Page

msharpe
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  1:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I wrote a short monitoring script that checked the home security system via a network adapter. The code would check with the system every minute or two to detect anything that might have happened. It would tell me what doors were opened, when they were opened, and when they were closed again. If you are interested in computers, I would suggest try to whip something up yourself. Short of monitoring, it let me know when doors and windows were opened while we were gone and would send us a txt alert. I was using the TL250 for DSC, basic user install manual is located here:
https://yourhomesecurity.org/downloads/pdf_viewer.php?pdf_file_name=/downloads/DSC_InstallationManuals/29034631R004__20WEB_tl250-13959.pdf

Go to Top of Page

tgmcface
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry to be picking up an old thread but this is were my searching has brought me too.
Like the original poster I have bought a home with the vivint skypanel installed (not able to be switched to alarm.com - go 2.0). Originally I had access to nothing except the doorbell camera videos. Was not given the access code. I reset the panel and removed the cell module (not planning on paying for vivint) and have full access and have re-added the z-wave devices/thermostat/doorbell camera.
My question is, is there any way to control the panel via wifi and possibly over the internet (not on the local area network). I realize that there is no way of having online monitoring without a cellphone module, I would just like to be able to have more access if possible.
The other option I would have would be to buy a new panel, but would loose the doorbell camera, and be stuck with a monthly fee.
Since I will save money on my yearly house insurance, im open to options, just wondering if any new innovations with this panel have come up, or what someone else (full panel access) my have done in my situation.
Thanks - Stephen.
Go to Top of Page

TravisNeedham
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tgmcface

Hi, sorry to be picking up an old thread but this is were my searching has brought me too.
Like the original poster I have bought a home with the vivint skypanel installed (not able to be switched to alarm.com - go 2.0). Originally I had access to nothing except the doorbell camera videos. Was not given the access code. I reset the panel and removed the cell module (not planning on paying for vivint) and have full access and have re-added the z-wave devices/thermostat/doorbell camera.
My question is, is there any way to control the panel via wifi and possibly over the internet (not on the local area network). I realize that there is no way of having online monitoring without a cellphone module, I would just like to be able to have more access if possible.
The other option I would have would be to buy a new panel, but would loose the doorbell camera, and be stuck with a monthly fee.
Since I will save money on my yearly house insurance, im open to options, just wondering if any new innovations with this panel have come up, or what someone else (full panel access) my have done in my situation.
Thanks - Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I am in the same boat. I am set to move into my house this weekend, and I don't want to pay Vivint, but I would like to be able to use the SmartLock on the front door. I'm sure I should be more worried about the actual alarm, but I really just care about being able to use the smart home features from inside my internal network... ie. lock the front door from my phone while lying in bed :) Have you had any luck getting your system to work over wifi in your home? Thanks in advance!
-Travis
Go to Top of Page

rrobic3
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  06:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TravisNeedham

quote:
Originally posted by tgmcface

Thanks - Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I am in the same boat. I am set to move into my house this weekend, and I don't want to pay Vivint, but I would like to be able to use the SmartLock on the front door. I'm sure I should be more worried about the actual alarm, but I really just care about being able to use the smart home features from inside my internal network... ie. lock the front door from my phone while lying in bed :) Have you had any luck getting your system to work over wifi in your home? Thanks in advance!
-Travis

you should be able to just purchase a smartthings or wink hub and incorporate the locks into that system

i am in a similar situation, but with sensors. I have both vivint window sensors and ADT door sensors in my home. I want to use the window sensors with my smartthings hub, but dont know how to reset them...is it possible to use these sensors with my hub?..if so, how?

*note, i am getting the hub for christmas, just doing some presearch
**vivint system is no longer in the home, they just left the sensors when they came to collect their ****
Go to Top of Page

madxxi
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  09:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a very long search the past few days, I have found this forum to be one of the most informative ones... However, I still need a bit of help.

I have Vivint in the house and the contract expired just last month, so now I can look for other providers.
I will do much of the automation at home my way, but I would still like to keep a central monitoring, because at times my wife and I take long vacations and although we have a pretty good local network, they may not respond to a house breaking as quickly as we wish if we are abroad; I would rather have the police there as soon as possible. We also would not be as quick to react if we're doing fun things outside like scuba or in the middle of the ocean during a cruise. As I searched alarm.com (and got in touch with them, not very helpful to determine best option for providers though) all I got was a list of the providers in FL and there are quite a few here:
http://www.alarm.com/partners/partners.aspx

I decided in my case to be with a provider may be one option, as I need the central monitoring options, but I am looking for insight from those who have experienced a similar case as mine to determine if there are perhaps other better approaches. I would like to:

* Keep the equipment from Vivint and utilize pretty much all I got with them, most Z-wave and includes the 2GIG console, 2 glass breaking sensors, the originally ADT installed window/door sensors (wired) which all work, one camera, and I am expanding the automation afterwards for other controls in the house to include external cameras. Thereby, provider must be able to work with the 2GIG console and allow the full home automation. Oh, and I would like to go month-to-month, I'm fed up with all the long term contracts!

And the questions..
1. Does anyone have a recommendation of a provider that would cover the full automation option + about 1000 hrs of cloud video recording + live feed + setting up of rules? Cheapest possible, basically I'd like to keep the features I got with Vivint without the large bill. I would love to slash my $65/mo bill to about half that cost or even less if possible (mid 20s). I would also consider dropping the video storage part and doing that on my own.
2. Would it make sense to enhance the home automation with a smartThings hub?
3. Should I consider other options without having to purchase new equipment and still taking advantage of what I got from Vivint?

Again, in my case the central monitoring is still a need, but with that many providers, it's difficult to find one which may be the best fit and a trustworthy one... At least the service with Vivint has been reliable and I have no complaints about their customer service.

- Adam

Edited by - madxxi on 12/21/2016 09:33:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

ilvmy2n2
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  07:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no longer have vivint, but want to control thermastat with computer and phone is that possible? Anyone...Help......
Go to Top of Page

DustinMack
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody for the thorough information provided in this link. Unfortunately I am not nearly as tech savvy as some of you seem to be.

However, it does seem that Vivint has changed the way they do things (kind of). When I reached out to them a year ago, I was told that I cannot buy their equipment without the monitoring service (and subsequent Skypanel). However, a year later and now I'm being told that in order to get the cameras and doorbell that I have to get the monitoring service, BUT that I can cancel it after the first month.

My question is: Can I access the cameras (including the doorbell) remotely from my smartphone WITHOUT the monitoring service?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page