New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SamKA4ATT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a xmit/rcvr set that will work with a 20amp/120vac circuit. I want to be able to control each one seperately or all at once. Just on/off, not dimming. Also, I cannot remove and replace the exzisting outlets. I need this to be "Plug and Play" as far as hooking up the remotes.

Similar to this, http://www.smarthome.com/73056/SkylinkHome-PA-318-Remote-Controllable-Indoor-Outdoor-Plug-In-On-Off-Control-Module-1-500-Watts/p.aspx

BUT, would like it to be 20amp. 15amps MAY work, but it is right at the limit. I want a little leeway as far as current capabilities.

Thanks,

Sam

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  1:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A 20 amp receptacle is installed only when explicitly specified, otherwise a standard 15 amp receptacle is used. A 20 amp receptacle will be so marked, but you'll need to removed it to see the specification. Also, it will need to be wired with No. 12 AWG wire. No. 14 AWG is rated at a maximum of 15 amps.

Unless the receptacle is rated and wired for 20 amps (or more), the code does not permit connecting a load greater that 15 amps -- which is the rating for most duplex receptacles.

And, you are correct as far as the load is concerned. A rule-of-thumb is to never load an electrical device to more that 80% of it's rated value.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu, Maybe this was only in commercial uses but I have seen them have a horizontal blade on the plug. So a 20 amp device didn't physically fit a 15 amp outlet but the 20 amp outlet had both a horizontal and vertical opening so a 15 or 20 amp plug could fit a 20 amp outlet.

Thanks for you input.

Edited by - BLH on 08/04/2012 1:36:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

SamKA4ATT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu... Yes, it is a 20 amp circuit. 12 AWG etc....... It does use the standard AC plug... 2 verticle blades.

Again, just as a precaution I want to go with 20 amp. After the capacitors get charged, it draws under 20 amps. It is a professional strobe light system used in photography. 4 power packs, all on separate 20 amp circuits.

Thanks again,

Sam
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  2:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If both slots are vertical only, than the receptacle is not rated for 20 amps. As BLH indicated, a 20 amp receptacle will have one vertical and one horizontal slot (accepts only devices rated for greater than 15 amps) or one vertical and one tee slot (accepts all 110/120 volt devices).

Go to Top of Page

SamKA4ATT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu,
The outlet is 20 ampů1 vertical and 1 "T" shaped. The cord is
2 vertical prongs on the plug.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/283727.html or http://www.amazon.com/Furman-MP-20-Accessory-Momentary-Maintained/dp/B0002ITUVK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You'd need to provide momentary contact switch(es) and 12 VDC power supply.

Another method is DIY, but results in a plug-in device. A short, heavy duty extension cord cut in half, a surface box, an X10 heavy duty switch, and a few connectors are all you'll need. Also, an X10 controller.

Go to Top of Page

SamKA4ATT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, I cannot remove and/or replace anything in the arena. It needs to be as "Plug and Play" as possible.

If X10 had high current modules, that would be ideal.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  9:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews
Another method is DIY, but results in a plug-in device. A short, heavy duty extension cord cut in half, a surface box, an X10 heavy duty switch, and a few connectors are all you'll need. Also, an X10 controller.

Go to Top of Page

SamKA4ATT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Stu..... skimmed right over the answer.

I'm going to try the original items I saw. A bit less $$$, and if they don't work out, I'll look at the X-10 items.

Thanks for all the help,

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page