Switch on one wall outlet to activate another
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new here and haven't done any prior home automation, but I'm good with computers and electrical (from when I owned a house).

I live in a an apartment, which I can't rewire. The wall switch at the entrance door is connected to a wall outlet that is on the opposite side of the room from where I would like to place a lamp (very badly designed). Is there some device that I can plug into the switched wall outlet that will automatically activate a lamp plugged into a different wall outlet?

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having no experience with home automation, I imagined a pair of external devices that plugged into each outlet. That would be ideal, but I could replace an outlet or switch if that's the only solution.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't buy one, but you can build one. Or you can use a wireless switch.

Get an InLineLinc with Sense( http://www.smarthome.com/2475S2/INSTEON-In-LineLinc-On-Off-Module-Non-dimming-w-Sense/p.aspx ), two 6-foot extension cords from the local hardware or dollar store, a 1-gang plastic electrical box and cover. Cut the outlets off both cords. Wire one cord to the Sense input, and the other to the hot and neutral connections. Plug the cord wired to hot & neutral connections into an always-on outlet, the cord wired to Sense into the switched outlet, then link the InLineLinc as controller to ApplianceLincs or LampLincs elsewhere in the apartment to have everything turn on and off together when you flip the wall switch.

The easier approach is to ignore the mechanical wall switch entirely. Get a two-gang wall switch plate and mount a RemoteLinc 2 wall mount bracket ( http://www.smarthome.com/2444B4/RemoteLinc-2-Wall-Mount-Bracket/p.aspx ) to the second gang. Replace your existing 1-gang wall plate with the 2-gang and snap a RemoteLinc 2 wireless switch ( http://www.smarthome.com/2444A3WH/RemoteLinc-2-INSTEON-Wireless-Switch/p.aspx ) into the second gang to control any LampLincs or ApplianceLincs in any other outlets.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Replace the existing wall switch with an Insteon SmartLinc switch. Plug a LampLinc into the existing outlet and link the two devices.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas guys.

I like the SwitchLinc/LampLinc combo the best. It seems the cleanest. I wish they had regular on/off toggle switches instead of the rocker dimmer switches.

For the other solutions, I would need longer than 6 foot extension cord, and it seems messy having all those wires and a gang box lying on the floor. I don't want to add a 2-gang box to my apartment because management wouldn't be like it.

Still debating. I may just buy an extra lamp. One that turns on from the wall switch so I don't fall on my ass when walking into a dark apartment, and another that I switch on manually when I want to light the room and set the mood. Hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

581 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are allowed to change out switches then I would do so. There is a toggle link. I don't think your apartment management would notice. The switch plus a lamplinc or two will do it.
http://www.smarthome.com/2466SW/ToggleLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx
If you cant switch it out, then maybe a clapper.
E

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 12 KPLs, 27 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, Lamp-linc, 4 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  5:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Erik! The toggle switch would be perfect. And swapping it out would be a breeze. I'll go that route.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More choices: http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=togglelinc

If you select a dimmer, then you will need to make the original switched outlet unswitched to comply with the NEC.

Go to Top of Page

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  5:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll keep it simple and get the non-dimming one
Go to Top of Page

carbon3c
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  5:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Lamplinc modules all seem to be dimmer modules. Will that work with a non-dimming togglelinc?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dimmer will work with an On/Off ToggleLinc. It will even dim. Depending on the existing wiring, you may have to make the switched outlet unswitched.

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2518 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Lamplinc modules all seem to be dimmer modules. Will that work with a non-dimming togglelinc?

While I thought there were non-dimming modules, dimmer modules will respond to non-dimmer togglelincs.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LampLincs are dimmers. ApplianceLincs ( http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=Appliancelinc ) are for non-dimmable llights and appliances.

Go to Top of Page

T_Gogo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the exact same situation, and am interested in the SmartLinc switch and LampLinc solution. Does it require a hub, or can I purchase, install, and link the two devices without any additional equipment?

Edited by - T_Gogo on 11/21/2013 08:19:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can link Insteon devices without a Hub using just the device Set buttons. The complete product manuals are all online, links are on the product sales pages.

Go to Top of Page

T_Gogo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, purchased and installed them over the weekend, and they work great!
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Yes, you can link Insteon devices without a Hub using just the device Set buttons. The complete product manuals are all online, links are on the product sales pages.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page