Lighting and Appliance Control
 X 10 chime problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 X10 chimes. They appear to be on different phases because one doesn't work in most of the house but does work in some rooms. Is there a plug-in phase coupler that is available to fix this problem? I read an older link about this same problem and a hardwired phase coupler was mentioned, but it is now out of production.

Since I originally left this message I discovered that when one X 10 chimes is plugged in the other chime that was working now doesn't work. This doesn't seem like a phase problem. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using a RR501 transceiver and to SC546 chimes.

Edited by - GBC on 08/11/2012 12:33:57 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the Smarthome dryer outlet ones are discontinued.
You can still find the ones hard wired into the breaker box.
The X10Pro XPCP is one of them.
There are a few listed on the X10 troubleshooting section of the Smarthome web site.
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Troubleshooting_Training/X10_Compatible/_/t/23X/nav.aspx
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  6:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

I believe the Smarthome dryer outlet ones are discontinued.
You can still find the ones hard wired into the breaker box.
The X10Pro XPCP is one of them.
There are a few listed on the X10 troubleshooting section of the Smarthome web site.
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Troubleshooting_Training/X10_Compatible/_/t/23X/nav.aspx

I got and installed a Simply Automated ZPCI-B. It doesn't seem to have solved the problem, should it have? We have a little bit of a complicated set up. We have an emergency generator running through a breaker box of its own and then into the main breaker box where the phase coupler is installed. Would this cause any problems that you are aware of?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are both chimes set to the same house/unit code?

Unless the emergency generator produces a pure sine wave (most do not), X10 devices will not function except manually. Unless the generator is regulated (many are), X10 devices may be damaged.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  5:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both chimes are on the same house/unit code.

I don't know whether the generator generates a pure sine wave or not. The generator only runs when the electricity goes off, so I don't see how that could be a problem when it's not running.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  7:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I was not clear. The info about the generator was meant apart from the difficulty.

If the chime works if one is plugged in and the other isn't and vice versa and you do have a bridge in place that couples the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply, then the X10 signal is is probably too weak at those locations. Each X10 device diminishes the signal, more devices = weaker signal.

Other things such as TVs, computers, etc. can also weaken the signal and may need to be filtered.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  03:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how well a ZPCI-B works with X10. I have seen no reports on it in the X10 forums.
Here are a few troubleshooting X10 problem web sites.
As Stu pointed out it does sound like a power line signal problem.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me explain a little more about where the chimes and transmitter are located.

I have the transceiver in my bedroom. One chime is in the master bedroom. It works fine. I'm trying to get the second chime to work in an office that is between my bedroom and the master bedroom. When you plug it into the office it doesn't work no matter whether the other chime is pluged in or not. It DOES work in a bathroom and hallway that connect to the office, between my bedroom and the office. Both chimes will work if one is plugged into the master bedroom and the other chime is plugged into the bathroom or hallway. Neither chime will work if plugged into most of the rest of the house. We have not tried the chimes in every socket in most of the rooms. Since we installed the phase coupler the chimes work exactly the same as without it.

This is the kind of thing that will drive you crazy :-). It makes you appreciate the advantages of an Insteon system but I've already invested a fair amount of money in the X 10 system, so I would like to get it to work properly. Thank you all for your help so far. I'll look further into the troubleshooting sites and see what I can figure out. In the meantime if you can think of any other advice I would appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the office has all kinds of electronic things like Computers, TVs; UPS Units or Surge Strips. Try the chime module with them unplugged.
Many electronic devices can make power line noise or act like a signal absorber.
If that helps. FilterLincs maybe needed on the offenders.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11463 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  12:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Simply Automated ZPCI-B phase-coupler is primarily for UPB. It's acceptable for X10, but not specifically designed for it. That may be why it doesn't appear on an X10 forum.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  03:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the added information Stu.
I knew the ZPCI-B was primarily for UPB and didn't know how well it was with X10 or Insteon Signals.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page