Newbie help-- simple, remotely accessible system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robbok
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  9:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to set up a "simple" wireless system for securing my home office and a small storage room adjacent to the office. This isn't for a whole-home security system, nor do I require any cameras. Just two door sensors, one glassbreak sensor, and a water sensor.

I'm new to home security systems, so of course I just assumed I could buy a DIY system with Internet accessibility and have it all working wirelessly. A few hours on the Internet, however, and I see it's going to be neither cheap, nor simple. I don't want to sign up for any monthly monitoring systems, nor do I want to pay for GSM service. I want simple, WiFi access to/from my system, with alerting to e-mail. I want to be able to connect to the system directly from anywhere in the world, via browser, and check/set status.

Earlier today, this didn't seem like a lot to ask for. Now I'm baffled by the array of options, add-in modules (with crazy-high prices), and hidden monitoring service monthly fees.

Has anyone out there found a simple (yet robust), Internet-available device that works with mobile browers and that sends alerts to devices?

Any help would be much appreciated!

--Rob

stusviews

USA
11445 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  11:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A. Simple, yes. B. Robust, yes. C. Cheap, yes. Choose:

1. in order A first, then B
2. in order B first, then A
3. A & C (order doesn't matter)

Low security needs are all that's needed in many situations, so simple makes sense. Robust often require a not so simple installation without sacrificing ease of use. But security is individual, there's no one best system for every need.

So, 1, 2, 3, or ?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page