New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gaspatcho
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  08:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed a pool light controlled by an X10 dimmable light switch module. The light is an LED of the type found at home depot (120 W equivalent). When I press the switch button, the light turns on and off on just fine. When I remote control it, however, it will turn off but not on. When it turns off, though, it goes through a "dim down" over a period of about 2 sec where it gradually becomes dimmer and dimmer until it goes off. No amount of remote on cycles will turn it on after that - I have to go back to the switch to do it. The proximity of the controller makes no difference because I can plug it in a matter of a few feet and it still has the same behavior.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Do you know what causes it?

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a two wire dimmer with no neutral power feed.
The two wire X10 dimmer switches are made for incandescent type bulbs only.
They use the load as part of their power feed. The electronics in the LED bulb is causing it to not work correctly.
Test it with a incandescent bulb and see if it works better.
If it does. You may need to use an incandescent bulb or get a dimmer compatible with LED loads.

Is there an available neutral power connection in the switches electrical box?

Edited by - BLH on 08/21/2012 09:42:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4471 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another possibility is the switch has preset dim and soft start.
If you had dimmed it down real low and then turned it back On. It maybe at such a low level the LED bulb will not go back On.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_WS467s_and_Preset_Dim

Edited by - BLH on 08/21/2012 10:26:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

gaspatcho
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a 2 wire switch but as I said before, the switch operates well with the LED light, it just cannot be remotely controlled. I don't know what could cause the switch to work well and the remote control of the switch to fail. I tried the 5sec down and 5sec up and it made no difference. I replaced an incandescent bulb with the LED one. The incandescent seemed to have the same problem. I also replaced the switch with another of the same type. I may buy a 3 wire switch and try that out.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11474 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaspatcho

It is indeed a 2 wire switch but as I said before, the switch operates well with the LED light, it just cannot be remotely controlled. I don't know what could cause the switch to work well and the remote control of the switch to fail.

An incorrect load can cause that difficulty.
quote:

I replaced an incandescent bulb with the LED one. The incandescent seemed to have the same problem.

It "seemed" to have the same problem? What was not identical to the original problem?
quote:

I may buy a 3 wire switch and try that out.

That may be the solution, but if the LED light is not dimmable, then don't get a dimmer even if it is three wire

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page