New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heyring
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  06:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like the ability to use an online site or iPhone app to turn a 15amp circuit breaker on/off. We have a facility with a small motor which allows a basketball hoop to be lowered. I need to ability to enable that circuit remotely when individuals are authorized to lower the hoop.

Does anyone know of a way to command a 15 amp circuit breaker with INSTEON/X10 or some other remotely accessible method?

Thanks from the great state of Arizona!

Hank E.

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
586 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why command the circuit breaker? Leave it on and energize the motor through a wired-in appliance module.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Do not command the circuit breaker. It is not designed to be an on/off switch.

How much current does the motor draw? Is the motor plugged into a receptacle or hardwired? How much distance needs to be covered between the breaker panel & the hoop?

I would look at adding a junction box with a relay in line (possibly more proximity of the electrical panel, than the hoop, if it is a long circuit) or using an ApplianceLinc. Then use a SmartLinc controller (or similar device) to control it from your phone/PC.

There may be other options that more seasoned users can recommend.

Edited by - icerabbit on 10/04/2012 12:14:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
586 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I control a 120VAC relay by the appliance module. The relay (in fact a contactor) controls the heat pump.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

jeltin35
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  02:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could do this remotely but in the end you'll want to always keep it on unless you're replacing it. If you do need to change it out then do so, but check the amps from the spec sheets here http://www.allelectricneedsinc.com and make sure you're replacing the right circuit breaker. You could pick one up nearby as well.

If you insist on controlling the breaker remotely then Eaton has a solution available here http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/CircuitProtection/IndustrialMiniatureCircuitBreakers/RemoteControlledCircuitBreakers/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page