INSTEON
 appliance linc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diggler

48 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a appliance linc that I used for my pool pump this summer. It worked great turned on and off at desired times. Unlinked from that scene installed it on another outlet outside my house to work my halloween setup. Linked fine, turns on at desired time but doesnt automatically turn off. I have tried 2 different appliance lincs. Same issue, I can turn then off from phone or web interface. I am using a gfci outlet. Any ideas?

diggler

48 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  09:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Smartlinc.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a device turns on but not off, that often means the attached load is producing interference that is overwhelming nearby power line signals. Is a signal-sucking surge protector part of the load? Do you have a FilterLinc handy?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or...if you want to confirm the theory that it is the load that is causing the trouble, temporarily swap it out with an incandescent load, such as a table lamp or anything handy.

The other question I have is whether you have devices in place and confirmed to provide insteon communication across the legs of your electrical system. Is it possible that the holloween outlet is on a different leg of your electrical system? While I consider more likely it is a load issue, I thought I would ask.

My experience is that GFCI outlets CAN cause problems, but may not. Other members have posted empirical evidence that suggests GFCI outlets are, generally, not problems. My gut reaction is that this is less likely your problem.
Go to Top of Page

diggler

48 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  5:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am using a
12 gauge 25' extension cord and have a blowup and a spider web light running off of it.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  6:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
have a blowup and a spider web light

A "blowup", as in an electric motor controlling a fan? Uh oh!

Have you tried tried swapping the load with an incandescent lamp? Has this helped? Do you have a filterlinc handy?
Go to Top of Page

diggler

48 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  07:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have a filterlinc. I unhooked each device and started out by leaving the blowup hooked up. It turned on and turned off on timer. then hooked up the web light and it turned on and off on timer. Go figure, only thing I can maybe think of is at the time i have it turn off there is a device that is causing noise. I will see tonight if it works, if not then I will have to buy a filter linc.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also troubleshoot insteon problems based upon the theory that problems can often be caused by the sum total of multiple sources. A motor, power supply, or CFL may not, individually, be enough a problem. Together, however, may be a different story. Yes, it is starting to sound like you might have a generally marginal communication environment for some yet-to-be identified reason or reasons. The intermittency may be a clue (certain lights? Regrigerator? Furnace/AC? Dryer? Washer?)

Your motor definitely caught my attention, however. What are your "spider web lights"? LED? Is there an associated power supply, or is this a simple incandescent fixture?
Go to Top of Page

diggler

48 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the spider web is like regular christmas lights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page