New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  04:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This forum has some of the techiest people I know so I thought I would try my question here.

I've decided to get rid of my home phone since we all have cell phones. I've found some devices to connect to a cell phone thru bluetooth to allow you to use your cordless phones thru a cell phone when you are home. I'm looking for recommendations on products that work well. Is anybody doing this? If so, what are you using?

Thanks

Greg

Chris Fox

16 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  06:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although we never dropped the landline, we do use the bluetooth link-to-cell feature at home and love it. We started with the Panasonic KX-TG7644M (often on sale at newegg). I liked the handsets overall and the features on the base station were good; however, it would not reliably work with my wife's iPhone 4S. The sound would periodically get pretty bad and I saw others having the same issues even on the newer 774x version.

So we recently switched to the VTech DS6421. It supports up to 12 handsets (vs the 6 from Panasonic) and, more importantly, works with both the iPhone 4S and my Droid. It does claim to support 4 bluetooth devices, but only 2 can be active at a time (the Panasonic supports 2 as well). The sound quality isn't as good as the Panasonic and the handsets feel cheaper, but we can live with that...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3598 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used a panasonic bluetooth system, as well. By itself, it works well. Unfortunately, I had transition problems with between the car and panasonic system. The car sits in the garage. When I get in the car, the cell phone was still linked to the panasonic systm. As I drove away and lost the link to the panasonic system, the car would often fail to pick it up. I found that the only way my car would consistently connect was when the phone was not connected at the time I started the car.

The opposite was also true for me...I found that the phone did not consistently transition from car to panasonic. In the end, I spent far too much time trying to figure out why things were not working that I simply made the choice that I preferred the bluetooth to work in the car as a higher priority than in the house. My panasonic system is in my ever-growing box of unused gadgets.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page