Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 New Construction House: what can I do in advance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donchik
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  12:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am looking for an advice on what I can "pre-wire" in my new house. I am about to start a new construction and I would like to know if there are any smart things that I can do to make it easier for me to enable my house as a Smart Home. I will probably be interested in wireless TV, Stereo, Wifi, temperature monitoring, baby and pet cameras, remote (over the internet) controls, and frankly any other cool things. I would love for everything to be connected to my iPhone.

Any advice?

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you do standard wiring throughout and ensure a neutral in every box including any switch drop/loop, the you'll be set for HA.

Consider two duplex receptacles instead of one in each box in the bedroom. A switch near every entry to/from a room or other area that has a light. That may entail 2-, 3-, or 4-gang boxes. For example, you may want to control a porch light and ceiling light at one end of a room and, at the other end, the ceiling light and the sconces. Add sconce control at the entry and you're up to a 3-gang box.

Five wire thermostat cable. Low voltage tubing with a drag in every room where you may want AV. Pet and baby cams are usually portable. Security cameras, if any, should be planned in advance.

Will you be doing any part of the installation/upgrading?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

donchik
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  2:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response. I am not sure about your question. I am the owner of the future house. Contractors will be doing the actual work.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the contractor/electrician is not familiar with home automation, it may be best to have the house wired conventionally (except for the neutral requirement mentioned above and any recommendations you include) and have an HA installer for the devices themselves.

If each box has an neutral, as noted, all the HA gear can be easily added later.

Go to Top of Page

anthonyc12
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  9:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can do so many things but all of these modifications requires professional electrician care, why dont you hire one? DIY can cause you lots of mess.

Anthony Cole
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  11:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are doing a very smart thing by deciding to opting for concealed wiring. Though home automation is not something you can do on your own. However, you can install USB ports in electrical sockets so that you have enough charging and connection points throughout your home. Also go for HDMI ports at strategic points so you can hook-up handheld devices to them with easy. The most important though are speaker cables and outlets. Its a wireless age, but for best sound quality, conventional cabling is the best option.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  11:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Though home automation is not something you can do on your own.

IMO, Insteon home automation is especially suited for the DIYer. If you can install a switch, rewire a lamp, and replace a fixture, then you have the needed skills.

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second stusviews. In fact, I would argue that a DIY enthusiast can take time, experiment, and end up with wonderful results.
Go to Top of Page

silversop
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  11:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See that is what I am finding out here... I was all about a Zigbee network and using a company to install it (because that's the only way to do it) however, even if money is no object (which by no means am I saying that is my case ) a system which can easily be added/changed/moved, is the way to go. I have reduced by initial low voltage costs for the house I am having built by 8K because of the DIY solution.

S

quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

I second stusviews. In fact, I would argue that a DIY enthusiast can take time, experiment, and end up with wonderful results.

Go to Top of Page

Banichi

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Banichi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To answer the OP:

1) Wireless TV - can you elaborate here? Are you talking media viewing on mobile devices like android or iOS or something else?

2) Stereo - I would absolutely run wire to where ever you want speakers in your home. You can run this to a central location or just locally to the room depending on how you want to distribute your audio.

3) Wifi - Depending on the size of your house I would run cat6e cable to various points in your ceilings, (think smoke detector type sapcing) so that you can install some wireless access points like those made by Ubiquiti or Rokus.

4) Temperature monitoring - I'm finding this one a difficult task to tackle myself as the next project I'm working on will have both HVAC and radiant in-floor and Insteon t-stats may or may not do the job. But 5-wire t-stat wire would certainly be helpful like stusviews said.

5) Cameras - Like Stusviews said, you should plan where they are going to be and once decided I would run cat6e (cat5e would probably be fine too) to those locations so that you can install a IP camera that can do PoE (power over ethernet).

6) other cool things - you didn't mention lighting specifically but since you are in these forums it seems natural to assume that insteon is on the table. If so then Stusviews electrical recommendations are super. If you want to limit the number of switches in a particular location you can have the electrician home run the switch legs to your mechanical room and use the DIN rail based insteon units and link them to a 6 or 8 button keypad.

If you stick to mostly insteon stuff then you can get your over the internet control in 1 or 2 apps assuming you use a controller like the Insteon Hub or and ISY 994

Also depending on what you're doing about your non-wireless tv stuff I would also wire a cat6e to every tv location for connected tv's. Even though almost all smart devices now have built in wifi you just can beat a wire. And if you are ever thinking about a central media server at any point then gigabit ethernet will be very helpful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page