EZFlora and status changed event
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I bought an EZFlora last week and I am trying to get Status changed events. This event is supposed to be broadcasted by the EZFlora when a valve goes off or on while running a program.

I don't have any valve connected to the device right now, but if I do a Status Request, I get a valid ACK with the expected result (i.e: after 1 minute, I see that Valve1 is closed and valve 2 is open). So could it really be because I have no valve connected?

Also, how does the linking work? I am using my own software to send command to the EZflora through my PLM. I pressed the SET button 3sec on the ezflora, then on the PLM. Then I pressed SET 3sec on the PLM and then on the EZFlora to establish linking both ways. Is this what is needed? I read somewhere that if the EZFlora is linked, it will not broadcast status changed events. I guess I could unlink the device but my software does not support that yet.

Any advice?

BLH
Advanced Member

4470 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried asking in the manufacturers forums?
http://www.simplehomenet.com/forum/index.php
http://www.simplehomenet.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  4:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried but my registration to the forum doesn't seem to go through.
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, they just approved my registration 3 days later... Will post there.

But if someone has an answer, it'd be nice to see it here as well.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4470 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few expert users on the Silmplehomenet devices that frequent here and their forums.
I would think you may get an answer here and maybe there also.
Though lately their forums don't have much traffic on them and they seem to be very slow in responding.
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  5:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Valve Broadcast messages have to be enabled with 0x44 0x09. Here is an example of running Program 1 that has Valves 1,2,3,4 active

1 <PLM>:9 0262 176F25 034200 06
1 <PLM>:11 0250 176F25 13AC99 2B42A0
1 <PLM>:11 0250 176F25 700000 8627A1
1 <PLM>:11 0250 176F25 700000 8627A2
1 <PLM>:11 0250 176F25 700000 8627A3
1 <PLM>:11 0250 176F25 700000 862703

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I forgot to say that I do send 0x44,0x09 when my software starts. I see that bit 6 in the config register is set.

Does it work even if no valve is wired on the ezflora?
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  8:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a valve connected makes no difference. I have no valves connected to the EZFlora I ran this test on.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  03:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for confirming that.
I am definitely not getting those events.

anyone have a suggestion on what I might be doing wrong?
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LeeG, could you give me more details about what you did for linking PLM <> EZFlora. Maybe I did something wrong there.
I unlinked everything and then I started over again. I did:
Press SET button on PLM for 3 seconds then pressed SET on EZFLORA.
I did not enter linking mode on the EZFlora.
Do I need to link all zones to the PLM? or not link the EZFlora to the PLM at all?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4470 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  07:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I don't know how the EZFlora works but do know. If the EZFlora's ID is not in the PLM's Link Database. It will see no messages from it.
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  07:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if it is a broadcast message (flags = 0x83) ?
I know that would be the case for a group broadcast message (0xC6) but I wasn't sure about broadcast messages.

Is it possible that my PLM ignores all broadcast messages? is there something that could be misconfigured that could end up doing this?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8603 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  07:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PLM has to be linked to the transmitter in order for the transmitter's broadcast signals to be trusted. Otherwise your neighbors could end up controlling your gear, accidentally or maliciously.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But this is conflicting with another thread I saw that says that if the EZFlora is linked to the PLM, it will not send broadcast messages.

But anyway, I had already tried that. I can confirm that I am not getting any broadcast messages when the device is linked and when it is not linked. Could it be the PLM that is in some mode that ignores all broadcast messages?
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other thread may be referring to EZIOxx devices as they either send Broadcast messages or Scene (Group) messages depending on whether a given Input is linked or not. The PLM has to have a link record that matches the senders Insteon Address for the reasons Tom F. has already discussed.

I put the PLM into Monitor mode so I would not have to create links in the EZFlora and the PLM to support Broadcast messages. I tested on an I2CS device which requires special handling to create link records. Not sure what the PLM requires to pass that Broadcast message to an application. Never had anyone try to use the Broadcast messages before.

The PLM does have a Responder link record with the EZFlora address. Even in Monitor mode the PLM has the requirement to have a link record with the senders address.

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 03/01/2013 12:35:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're saying that my PLM should be set in monitor mode then?
Will try that.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4470 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  1:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the EZFlora's ID is in the PLMs Link Database. In the monitor mode it should see a message from it even if it was not sent to the PLMs ID.
Some good date here if you have not found it yet.
http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/insteon.html
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  4:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tested in monitor mode and still can't see anything from the EZFlora's broadcast messages.

Yes I know that site, that's where I got the info on how to communicate with the PLM. I don't see anything on there that talks about broadcast messages specifically though.
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  4:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not recommend Monitor mode. It has too many caveats to be used day to day. I used it because it was expeditious to observe the Broadcast messages being sent by the EZFlora. I have tried a few combinations of link records but cannot find what the PLM requires to pass the EZFlora messages to the application without using Monitor mode. I know the Broadcast messages are being sent as the status LEDs on various devices blink indicating Insteon traffic and I can see them when I turn Monitor mode On. I spend some time this weekend to see if I can find what the PLM needs to pass the Broadcast messages to an app..

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh actually I got it to work now. I am in monitor mode and I have two entries for the EZFlora in my PLM's all-link database: one with flags E2 and the other with A2.

If I remove the monitor mode, it doesn't work anymore though.

LeeG: I appreciate you spending time on this. I will also try to find what is needed to make the PLM pass it to the app without monitor mode.
Go to Top of Page

pdumais

50 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the dev guide, it says that events will be passed to the host if:

1. The IM received a Direct message with a To Address matching the IMís INSTEON ID,
2. The IM received an ALL-Link Broadcast message sent to an ALL-Link Group that the IM belongs to
as a Responder (i.e. the messageís From Address and ALL-Link Group Number match a
Responder entry in the IMís ALL-Link Database), or
3. The IM received an ALL-Link Cleanup message with a To Address matching the IMís INSTEON ID
and the messageís From Address and ALL-Link Group Number match a Responder entry in the
IMís ALL-Link Database.

A broadcast message doesn't match any of the 3 criteria so I think it is normal for the PLM to not forward the traffic to the host. But that's ridiculous. Why would the EZFlora use broadcast messages then?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4470 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a question for Simplehomenet/Smartenit.
I also saw the specifics in the Developers Manual.

Go to Top of Page

cdragon

25 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you put the PLM into monitor mode? I tried sending 026b40 like it says in the modem dev guide and got an ACK and confirmed the PLM has changed its configuration bits by sending 0273 but I never see messages from the PLM with a "to" address of anything other than the PLM. Yes, I have ensured that all other devices are in the PLM's link database. I've also rebooted the PLM.

My PLM is a 2413U with firmware 9B. I talked to another user of a PLM with firmware 9B and he couldn't get monitor mode to work either. What firmware are you using where monitor mode works, or about when did you buy your PLM?

For more details, see http://misterhouse.10964.n7.nabble.com/PLM-monitor-mode-tt17933.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page