New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pjibe
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I just bought an insteon starter kit with a ISY 994i. I have install everything and it work well.

I would like to have access to my ISY from everywhere with my smartphone or laptop when I'm on a trip. I know there is a possibility with Mobilinc Connect, but is there another way to do it.

Thanks

Jack

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2510 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  2:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One does not need mobilinc connect, however, the mobilinc (I do not use the mobilinc connect service) app is one good option in my opinion. It is possible, also, to log directly into the ISY admin panel via laptop using the IP address and port number, if you are willing to dig into this a bit.

Much depends on what you mean by "access", but options are plenty.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best place to get ISY help is the dedicated ISY forum: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will need to port forward the IP address of the ISY in your router. Ideally you would lock the mac serial number, and keep the router in DHCP mode. The benefits to you are if there is any changes in the network, modem, etc the router will know and reflect the change(s).

Assigning a static IP address if ever there is a change in network settings, routing, etc will leave you helpless in accessing the ISY remotely. Also keep in mind if you use the OS or software firewall. You will need to ensure the port you have assigned is well protected.

In the ideal world you would use a combination of software and hardware firewall to protect the network.

Teken . . .

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 04/06/2013 3:36:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page