IP Camera Tool not finding cameras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spike56

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three Insteon IP cameras installed in my home two inside (75790), and one outside (75791). All three seem to be working satisfactorily. My problem is with the IP Camera Tool Software. At various times, when I open the software on my computer (running Windows 7, 64-bit), I see all three cameras, or only two, or one, or none. I see no cameras more often than not. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which camera(s) show up, or which one(s) are missing. A few days or a week later, I open IP Camera Tool (without any corrective action from me) and the cameras are back, or different ones are missing. This has been happening for some time now. The cameras are more for novelty than for security, so I do not check the cameras often. But it is frustrating not to have them work as they should when I do try to check them.

Any ideas?

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A possible cause is a weak WiFi signal. It can be at the origin (e.g., WiFi router) or something interfering in-between. More important than the tool, which is primarily to set up the camera, is the image. What are the results when you view the cameras?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Spike56

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  7:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know how to view the image on my computer without using the IP Tool. I can see the image from my cell phone using tinyCam Monitor Pro if I am connected to my home wifi . If I turn off wifi, I do not see the image. When I go to "Manage Cameras", and the check the camera status, it pings my camera and comes back with a red "Failed" message.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  7:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. The cameras communicate via WiFi (or Ethernet, if wired).

If you can see the image from your cell phone, then you should be able to see it (concurrently) from your computer. Is that not happening?

Go to Top of Page

Spike56

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  9:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, I can see one interior camera and the exterior camera in IP Camera Tool. When I type the IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.5:8020) into my web browser, I can view the image from those same two cameras. I cannot connect to the other interior camera thru my browser.
_
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, that confirms that everything is set-up correctly. If access to one or more cameras is intermittent, then that usually involves the strength of the WiFi signal.

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3598 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  05:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several IP cameras and have experienced intermittent access issues, as well. I have never positively determined the root cause, but my working theory is that I may be running into data throughput (aka bandwith) issues.

I understand that a wifi router has a limited number of bits and bytes it can transmit over a given time period. As I continued to add cameras, streaming devices, tablets, and other wifi-enabled contraptions to my house, I suspect I simply ran out of those available bits and bytes. Perhaps you are experiencing something like this, as well?

I have contemplated adding a dedicated wifi router just for cameras, but have not done so due to competing priorities for my time and money.
Go to Top of Page

FrostyT
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seven Insteon cameras and experience similar problems. The camera tool constantly changes the listing of cameras it sees, dropping some and adding others. Then some cameras assume the name of other cameras. Does each camera have to have a unique port as well as IP address?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, yes. Each and every device device connected to your router must be assigned both a unique IP address and unique a unique port.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page