Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samuel1234
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  07:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

1 - Can we install the software on both iPhone and iPad and use anyone to make changes or manually control devices?

2 - When I click on the check mark at the bottom of the screen, I understand (?) that is to connect to the the Insteon hub. What do I do if I get a message telling that the connection to hub has been lost, please resolve - then tap OK.? How do I resolve?

3 - Where is the command to logout so I can start over? Do I have to Clear Database in Insteon Settings?

4 - How do I delete a device, a room or a scene? I don't find any mean to do it?

5 - In my opinion the hardware is powerful, much more than CM15A, but the information regarding the software is incomplete. There are too many questions in the user's mind unanswered and too many missing 'how to do' and programming examples. The client is not buying a kit for mental tests but an automation unit which should be more user-friendly.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  08:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Yes, the app software can be installed on and used from multiple iOS and Android devices in the same home. Users who want to be able to turn scenes on and off but shouldn't have the ability to view cameras or make changes to your settings (guests or kids) can also use the connect.insteon.com browser interface instead.

2. If you get the Connection Lost message, check that your mobile device is still connected to the Internet. If you left your home wifi, you may need to turn on your cell data connection or log into a local wifi hotspot.

3. You can log out of your account (so someone you lend your phone to can't start playing with your thermostat, or so you can log into another device at your vacation home) by tapping the gear icon and the Logout button. I'm not sure about starting over, I've never needed to try that.

4. Delete a device by tapping the gear, Devices, selecting the device, then scrolling down and tapping the Delete Device button. (If the device is part of one or more scenes, edit the scenes and remove the device from them first.). Scenes disappear once you remove all the devices from them. Depending on the platform and version, rooms either disappear when you remove all devices from them or when you tap the gear, Edit Settings, Rooms, and tap the X to the left of the room name.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(BTW, if you don't find all the answers you need here on the user-to-user forum, Smarthome offers free tech support via phone and instant messenger. See http://smarthome.com/contactus.html )

Go to Top of Page

Mrmark
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my hub last night and was having trouble deleting, until I held my finger on the room and swiped it partly left. A "Delete" button popped up on the right side of the line for the room being deleted.

Edited by - Mrmark on 11/22/2013 3:25:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  7:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
similar question: I connected the 'hub' a couple of days ago. Worked great on my iPad (1st generation) and also on my new iPad mini (brand new). Today my old iPad will not work the 'Insteon app' -- comes up with a box that shows: authenticating, syncing with server, then connecting to hub and says FAIL. the iPad mini works fine. Is it my iPad or the Insteon app?? how can I fix??
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are both devices using the same wifi router as the Hub is connected to, or is one using a cellular radio or another wifi hotspot instead?

Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  7:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both devices are using the same wi-fi router. the devices are not cellular.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  8:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you confirm the iPad 1 has a good connection to the Internet?

Between when it worked and when it stopped, did you update the Hub app?

Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
confirmed, yes, the old iPad does have a good connection to the internet. its not as fast as the new iPad mini though. I was using the old iPad to enter in my insteon switches and just checking out the apple app, which is great - very easy. I did see an option on the app to update the hub and I may have pressed it. If that is what happened, how do I fix?? The app on the new iPad mini worked before and still works now.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  8:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tap the gear, Edit Setting, About Insteon App on each device. Are they all the same version?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  9:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm pretty sure I need to be in the app to be able to tap the gear, and then to proceed to edit settings, etc. Problem is that when I press the 'insteon' icon on the iPad, that it will get to the point of 'connecting to hub' and then says 'fail'.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  11:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delete and reinstall the app on the problem device. You will not lose anything you've already set up. Any luck?

Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  7:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I deleted the app and then reinstalled it. same problem. Maybe the problem is with my old iPad. it is a few years old. it uses iOS 5.1.1. However the app is supposed to work with iOS 4.3 or later. My newer iPad (mini that uses iOS 7.0.4) works with the app just fine. That leads be to believe that the hub is working fine too. For some reason the old iPad will just not communicate with the hub, although it did work for a day - the first time I did it. I treat this as a learning experience. I want to figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  8:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm unable to confirm because I don't have access to an early iPad. Anyone using an older (pre-2) iPad and the Hub?

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an older iPod Touch that logs in fine,

Go to Top of Page

Grumps
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  06:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem: 'connecting to up' and then 'fail'. Everything worked fine for about three weeks and then yesterday I get the fail message. I have the most up to date iOS on iPad and iPhone. I've deleted and reinstalled the app. I stuck here.
Go to Top of Page

kce
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  10:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to setting up the port forwarding. After that was done my older iPad worked with the insteon app.
Go to Top of Page

nicktahoe
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Are both devices using the same wifi router as the Hub is connected to, or is one using a cellular radio or another wifi hotspot instead?

I have set up my system, hub is working, I can log in and use the system using the wifi the hub is connected to; I left my vacation home, got home to try the system - no luck, can not connect to the hub.

No where in the install did it speak of doing anything else to ensure I can use the system remotely; no other reason to have it for me. All I've read is I need to be connected to the router/wifi that the hub is on - which is not possible from 400 miles away.

I've been on hold for one hour waiting for some support - can anyone please let me know if there's something I can do remotely to solve this or will I have to go back to my second home and configure it and if so, how?

This is unfortunate because the reason I got this system was to turn on/off lights when I'm not there and there was no instructions to ensure this would work.

Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

mawenzie
Average Member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick, you need to setup port forwarding on the network where the Hub is plugged into. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
Go to Top of Page

nicktahoe
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mawenzie

Nick, you need to setup port forwarding on the network where the Hub is plugged into. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

Thanks mawenzie - I'll look into that; unfortunate that none of what was included mentioned having to do that - this will require time off from work to drive back up to Tahoe to do this. I'm still waiting on hold with Insteon; now to ask them why this isn't discussed in the install instructions.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to go to that site, there are instructions for a bunch of the most popular routers in the app itself. Tap the gear, Edit Settings, House, Remote Access Guide.

There's also a feedback mechanism built into the app, if you don't want to be waiting on hold just to offer feedback. Tap the gear, Edit Settings, About Insteon App, Feedback to email feedback directly.

Not everyone wants people outside the house to be able to adjust lights inside, thus the need for the additional step to enable that feature in your router.

Go to Top of Page

mawenzie
Average Member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TFitz, he is likely going to have to do that when he gets back to where the hub is. If the port is closed, there is nothing that can be done outside of the LAN. Thanks for the tips on how to get to from within the app.
Go to Top of Page

nicktahoe
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  09:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You don't need to go to that site, there are instructions for a bunch of the most popular routers in the app itself. Tap the gear, Edit Settings, House, Remote Access Guide.

There's also a feedback mechanism built into the app, if you don't want to be waiting on hold just to offer feedback. Tap the gear, Edit Settings, About Insteon App, Feedback to email feedback directly.

Not everyone wants people outside the house to be able to adjust lights inside, thus the need for the additional step to enable that feature in your router.

I cant even log into the app; I get held up at "Connecting to Hub"

Where would I find "Tap the gear, Edit Settings, House, Remote Access Guide."

Thank you all for your input...new to this!
Go to Top of Page

mawenzie
Average Member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick, you have to be on the LAN. Then you will get past Connecting the Hub. The directions will tell you to log onto your router (typically 10.0.0.1) then adding two ports in. You can look at the link I sent you for an overview. The Insteon App will have very specific instructions relative to the Hub.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  10:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, I was incorrectly assuming he was going to wait until he was back at the residence. That may not be necessary.

It sounds like the Hub is already set up, so that's not an issue. Do you have the router set up to allow you remote administration? If so, you can log into the router from anywhere with an Internet connection to add to the router's port forwarding rules.

Go to Top of Page

nicktahoe
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  10:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point, I was incorrectly assuming he was going to wait until he was back at the residence. That may not be necessary.

It sounds like the Hub is already set up, so that's not an issue. Do you have the router set up to allow you remote administration? If so, you can log into the router from anywhere with an Internet connection to add to the router's port forwarding rules.

Thanks all - hub works, controls work on-site, just not from my main home. I never knew (not technical) that I had to set up to allow for remove administration or access; followed the quick set-up guide. I am not sure if the router is set up for me to access it from anywhere; guessing with my knowledge of computers, I'd say no.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page