New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ABLE1
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  8:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I am new here and am looking for a little assist.

I am working on a Insteon Project that involves a ISY-994i and a PLM 2413S and at this point some Insteon Switches.

I am Using WinXP Pro and have tried Win7 as well with same results.

I have the ISY connected to the network. The router is set to DHCP and comes up with 192.168.1.35 and I can easily Ping it with CMD.

I can use Universal Devices Admin Console adn it connects right away to the ISY and the PLM. I can search and link other devices no problem.

When I start up HouseLinc (latest version 2.10.25) it searches the network and can't find the ISY no matter how many times I try.

Is there some incompatibility issues with Firmware??

I don't know the current Firmware version but the serial number is #0017193.

Anyone have a hint where the problem might be??

TIA

Les

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ISY is an Insteon manager. HouseLinc is an Insteon manager.

1. A PLM can support only one Insteon manager at a time.
2. You cannot use any other Insteon manager with the ISY.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY's Administrative Console is all you need for using the ISY. For help with setup and programming, visit the manufacturer's own support forum here: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

ABLE1
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  05:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The ISY is an Insteon manager. HouseLinc is an Insteon manager.

1. A PLM can support only one Insteon manager at a time.
2. You cannot use any other Insteon manager with the ISY.

quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

The ISY's Administrative Console is all you need for using the ISY. For help with setup and programming, visit the manufacturer's own support forum here: http://forum.universal-devices.com

OK so let me see if I "NOW" got this right in my head.

1) The PLM 2413S can be controlled directly through the serial port of a PC using the HouseLinc software. In which the PC must run all the time for all to work.

2) The PLM 2413S can be connected to the ISY-994i with a Ethernet Cable to which the ISY-994i is then connected to the Network. In which the PC does not have to be connected since the ISY-994i is holding and running the progam.

3) The HouseLinc software only runs the PLM 2413S and the Universal Devices Admin Console only runs the ISY-994i which in turn runs the PLM 2413S.

If the above is true then I can say that I now "GET IT".

If not then what did I now miss??

Is there any other programming software that is available that will run the ISY-994i or is Universal Devices Admin Console the ONLY way??

Thanks for any input. So far very helpful since I was viewing this setup in a totally different context.

Les

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4465 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing. Using both an ISY994i and Houselinc on the same set of Insteon Modules can be a problem. Each one may add links into the modules Link Database the other one does not know about. Eventually you will have issues. As each one may mess up the links the other one added.

I would suggest you ask in the ISY forums about other ways to access the Administrative Console.
The link is in a previous post of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

ABLE1
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

One other thing. Using both an ISY994i and Houselinc on the same set of Insteon Modules can be a problem. Each one may add links into the modules Link Database the other one does not know about. Eventually you will have issues. As each one may mess up the links the other one added.

I would suggest you ask in the ISY forums about other ways to access the Administrative Console.
The link is in a previous post of this thread.

BLH,

Thanks for you response. I am not trying to run both at the same time. I assume that since you did not correct any of my assumptions that they are correct?? And as such I will on be able to use the Universal Devices Admin Console. I will jump to the ISY Forum now that I understand what is going on.

Again Thanks for the assist.

Les
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  8:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ABLE1
I am not trying to run both at the same time.

It's not OK to use HL to create, modify, or delete links at any time if you are also using an ISY.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

ABLE1
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  04:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by ABLE1
I am not trying to run both at the same time.

It's not OK to use HL to create, modify, or delete links at any time if you are also using an ISY.

So far from what I have observed I can't even get the HL to connect, link, find, or even know that the ISY is on the Network. So using it to create, modify or delete links is not even possible.

That was my whole point of this posting since I originally thought there was a problem somewhere. Now if I got it right it was my problem even assuming that I could get the two to talk.

Thanks again.

Les
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4465 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  05:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Houselinc can not use an ISY994i as an interface and will never find it as a suitable controller. Details of compatible controller is in the Houselinc manuals.

You should never use Houselinc to change things if an ISY994i is controlling them. It will change things in the Insteon Modules Link Databases the ISY994i does not know about. Causing unwanted things to happen or modules to be lost in the Administrative Console.

There have been some users that used Houselinc and it's own 2413 or 2412 PLM. For things like its diagnostics function's. After using it. They would restore the Insteon Modules they tested Link Database through the Administrative Console to remove the added Houselinc entries.

Edited by - BLH on 12/06/2013 05:57:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page