Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon461
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  12:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I am currently into the process of automating my home and I decided to go with The Insteon Hub and all Insteon components such as light switches (wall dimmers), thermostats, door sensors, ip cameras etc....

I decided to go with the Insteon Hub simply because I eant to control everything with my ipad and iphone, and I find the app "Insteon for hub" is very intuitive and well designed. Even if I didn't buy anything yet, I already did my homeworks by reading reviews and instruction manuals so I feel quite confident about the installation process of the components.

My only concern is with the "Insteon IRLinc Transmitter". I do understand you can save codes from existing remotes into the transmitter, and then call those codes from an Insteon controller (a small remote), but I do not want any extra remote, since I want everything on my ipad.

All the examples I found on the web are with a physical controller, but the insteon website leads me to believe that it's also possible to call the codes from your ipad.

I can imagine an interface where you can add buttons and then tell which button calls which codes but I wanted to see if anyone tried it yet....

So basically, is the Insteon app able to manage the creation of buttons associated with IR codes, and make those buttons interact with the IRLinc trnasmitter?

Thanks!

Simon.

Simon461
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  6:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmk.
Go to Top of Page

Simon461
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  5:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent an email to SmartHome support since the forum isnt helping much...

They answered the IRLinc Transmitter isnt compatible with with the Insteon Hub and it ca#324;t be controlled by the iphone or ipad.

I was really surprised by this answer since the AV control setup RECOMMENDED by SmartHome itself is exactly this.

Here is the recommended setup directly from smarthome website :

DESCRIPTION
By connecting the INSTEON Hub to your home's internet router you can access your lights and IR controllable equipment via your Android or iOS Smartphone or tablet. You can even create schedules that will automatically turn lights on at sundown or open your drapes in the morning. Because INSTEON Hub is a web-based controller it also allows you to control your home from anywhere in the world. Either way you use it, INSTEON Hub gives you some awesome control possibilities.

So....Who is giving false informations? The website or simply a lost support guy?

Edited by - Simon461 on 01/03/2014 5:19:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  6:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IRLinc works fine with the ISY, but I don't think it works yet with a Hub. At least mine doesn't. Nothing in the Hub hardware would preclude using it to control an IRLinc, but it looks like they are still adding Hub app support for specialty devices and that is one of a few that haven't made it in yet.

They don't have any incentive to lie about it, especially when the more expensive option already works fine. I suspect somebody just made a mistake and posted the picture too early.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Simon461
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  7:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answer, exactly what I was looking for, someone that actually owns one and can confirm it does not work.

Then, what are my options if I stick with the idea of controlling my AV stuff with my ipad?

Is there any kind of bridge I could twist with the hub to make something work?

I want everything on the ipad, I would of loved to keep everything on the insteon app but if I have to use another app for the AV equipment it could be a compromise...

Edited by - Simon461 on 01/03/2014 7:59:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simon461
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those interested, I found exactly what I needed :

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Hub.

The hub is wifi, it uses IR blasters to control all my AV equipment AND supports bluetooth to control the PS3 which is a big plus for me.

Once your IR blasters are positioned correctly, your iphone or tablet interacts with the hub by wifi so no need to point at anything.

It will be a different app than then Insteon app but itīs a small compromise.

Thanks!

Edit : Finished installing the Harmony Ultimate Hub yesterdsy night. For those interested by it, it is a WONDERFULL product, works FLAWLESS and is VERY powerfull.

Edited by - Simon461 on 01/05/2014 11:53:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3598 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the hub with much interest. The reason I did not pull the trigger was the lack of, or minimal support for, macros. I have my system on one of those "smart" power supplies, and needed to introduce delays into the startup sequence to give everything a chance to power up. It sure looked like a nice device, however. I hope this works out for logitech.

There are a couple of other similar options, but none work with the insteon hub as far as I know. I went with the itach WF2IR blaster and an app on an android tablet.
Go to Top of Page

darikweitzel
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  12:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also believed the hub could do this as I saw a similar photo as you found. I want to beable to use my ipad and it be my main counsel to control everything and one main feature I want is to beable to hit one button and have the tv turn on, lights dim down, amp turn on to that input, and anything else. Since it sounds like its not compatible with the hub, houselinc nor much of anything else. What CAN i do to make this work? Simply get a macro remote, and if i do, how would i beable to tell one button on that remote to do all that I want to with the IR Transmitter?

Edited by - darikweitzel on 09/14/2015 12:41:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

darikweitzel
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  12:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link I found that I should have looked at before assuming. http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2015/3/23/insteon-for-hub-supported-devices-by-platform this gives you a good idea what and what doesnt work with the hub.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3598 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  10:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To avoid confusion, allow me to point out that there have been at least two "hubs" mentioned here. One is the Insteon Hub. The other is the Harmony Hub.

If the insteon hub does not yet support IRLincs, then using the insteon hub to control a TV is going to be difficult, I suspect. Alternatively, using an IR remote to communicate with your insteon hub will be equally difficult.

If your goal is to hit "one" button with an IPad to turn everything on or off is your goal, you will be disappointed. You will have to hit a button (open an app), hit another button (favorite devices or scenes or something similar), then hit a third button (turn everything on). I could be worse, depending on the app you choose.

If we assume that you intend to control all your devices via IR, your first step is to decide how to convert a button press on an iPad to an IR command. The Global Cache iTach device is one method I use successfully. The harmony hub is another method I use. There are several apps able to exploit the iTach devices. The harmony hub is, I suspect, limited to the harmony app.

Once established, you now get to decide how you want to use IR to control your lighting. Insteon could work, and a little-remember aspect of insteon is that you don't necessarily need ANY hub or controller to do this. One can manually create "scenes" with the IRLinc receiver controlling many insteon modules. If all you want to happen in response to a button press is to have lights turn on and off, this is very doable.

Things get more interesting/flexible/complicated if you want to control things via direct network commands, but I will be unable to provide detail assistance here...only conceptual.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page