Remotely programmable door lock?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billdcat
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help....I need a remotely programmable door lock. I don't need security (like an alarm or monitoring, or like another poster needed, knowing if doors and windows are closed). What I need is basically one of those door handles with the keypad, but remotely programmable.

This is for a distant rental. This way, I can email a unique code to a renter, and cancel it when they're done.

Does such a solution exist?

Thanks.

Press2Esc

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  2:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what kind of remote communications (analog phone, cellphone, broadband, etc) are you planing to use to access the door knob?

p2e
Go to Top of Page

billdcat
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  2:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an analog phone line and broadband internet (currently wired, but could be made wireless) available. Internet would be best.

Alternatively, I suppose I could just use a regular set with keypad, and have the cleaning people reprogram it when they clean (since they have a key anyway).
Go to Top of Page

gatchel

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely...

These work well:
http://www.kerisys.com/pages/products/entraguard/entraguard.asp
or

http://www.sentexsystems.com/scw/products_family_home/0,1513,id-1,00.html

They work off of analog phone lines.

Hope this helps.

Both will require the installation of an electrick strike or leverset though...
Go to Top of Page

denns25
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit denns25's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the same exact problem billdcat has. I'm in Louisiana, and my vacation rental in the Breckenridge and Keystone ski areas.

Ideally I would like to log into the front door lock from my home in Louisiana and change the password in between renters. I currently have a server on the the property with both wired and 802.11g wireless available. I currently control the ac/heat from Louisiana, and would love to operate the front good as well.
Go to Top of Page

ver2go
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  1:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been looking for a similar solution for a while now too. So far I've seen a bunch for Wiegand type devices which are relatively inexpensive and I suppose you can use the Gateways for them to program over IP. Unfortunately I do not know too much about about this and what devices and software is required.

It looks like Essex has the K1 series with a ERM-3 it looks like this works via RS232. So you can either have a PC with Hyperterm or something simliar attached. Or use a Lantronics or Siteplayer to program remotely via IP.

http://www.keyless.com/K1SeriesStandAlone.htm

Looks to be around $300 to $350 from looking around Internet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page