3-Way Dimmer Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flipdiggity
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced my existing (working) 3-way dimmer switch in my hallway with two Insteon 2477D. My original setup had one dimmer switch at one end of the hallway and a regular toggle switch at the other end. I'm using LED lights and they for sure worked with my original dimmer and toggle switches.

I got my voltmeter out and found out what wire I got 120V from. I'm calling this box #1. Box #2 didn't have any voltage that I could read when I had the power on and used the voltmeter.

Box #1
Original (Dimmer)
- 2 white wires - capped inside box (no connection to the switch)
- 2 black wires - capped (black from inside box and black from switch)
- 2 red wires - capped (red from inside box and red from switch)
- 1 black & 1 red/white - capped (black from inside box and red/white from switch)

Box #2
Original (Toggle - No Dimmer)
All wires directly connected to the switch - no caps
- 2 white wires - capped inside box (no connection to the switch)
- 1 black wire - connected to a unlabeled screw on the switch
- 1 black wire - connected to a lead screw labeled "Common" on the switch
- 1 red wire - connected to a unlabeled screw on the switch

I followed all the instructions from the Insteon 2477D manual and ended up with the following.

Box #1
Insteon (2477D)
- 3 white wires - 2 original capped within box and 1 from Insteon switch
- 3 black wires - 2 from inside the box (originally not capped together) and 1 black from Insteon switch
- 1 red wire - from inside the box - capped by itself
- 1 red wire - from Insteon switch- capped by iteself

Box #2
Insteon (2477D)
- 3 white wires - 2 original capped within box and 1 from Insteon switch
- 1 red & 1 black wire - 1 black from inside box and 1 red from Insteon switch
- 2 black wires - 1 black from inside box and 1 black from Insteon switch
- 1 red wire - from inside the box - capped by itself

When I turn the power back on both 2477D dimmer lights on the face of the switch light up. However only box #2 controls the lights.

I see a few problems:
1. I can't get it to dim - is there some trick to this? When I press the Insteon switch in box #2, the lights go to full blast or when I press it again they turn off. Is there some trick to this?

2. Switch in box #1 doesn't turn on/off/dim lights - I can see the lights on the face of the switch go up and down when I press the button on switch in box #1 but it doesn't do anything.

3. Crosslinking - I'm not using an Insteon hub to link these but rather will eventually use the Revolv. I haven't added these devices to my Revolv but I was under the impression that I didn't need that to have the dimmers work and the 3 way switch to work.

A couple of questions:
1. Did I get the wiring correctly?
2. Do I need to crosslink them for them to work together?
3. How do I get the light to dim instead of just turning on/off?
4. How do I crosslink them using the Revolv?

Thanks in advance for the help. Just bought 9 of these switches and I have 4 3-way switches so I need to figure out how to get this going.

--Felipe

flipdiggity
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I figured out how to dim. Just had to hold down the button rather than press it. All other questions still valid.
Go to Top of Page

flipdiggity
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  9:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update #2 - Once I crosslinked the switches it worked. All I did was press the clear button at the bottom of switch #1 and then pressed the clear button at the bottom of switch #2. Now they both control the lights and they are dimmable. I was also able to connect them to the Revolv with any issues.
Go to Top of Page

flipdiggity
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  9:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update #3 - I cross linked switch #2 (pressed clear button on this one first) to switch #1 and then I cross linked switch #1 (pressed clear button on this one first) to switch #2. Both switches do allow me to control and dim the lights. The dim light indicator on the face of the switch works in almost all cases except:

Lights Off
1. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 0% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 0% - when I turn on switch #2, the lights turn on but the indicator on switch #1 is still at 0% instead of 100% like switch #2.
2. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 0% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 0% - when I turn on switch #1, the lights turn on and both indicators are at 100%

Lights On
3. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 100% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 100% - when I turn off switch #2, the lights turn off and both indicators are at 0%
4. Switch #1 Dim Indicator at 100% & Switch #2 Dim Indicator at 100% - when I turn off switch #1, the lights turn off and both indicators are at 0%

What is happening with scenario #1 listed above?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  03:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon scenes are quite flexible, and responder levels can be set very low (or even zero). This means that when a controller of a scene send out an ON signal, the responder would go to (or stay at) zero. I suspect this is your problem.

When you make switch 2 the controller and switch 1 the responder, make sure you initially set switch 1 levels to full on (or whatever level you wish it to go when switch 2 is pressed ON). Scenes and responder levels are described in the user manual. If you have not read about those, I suggest checking it out.
Go to Top of Page

flipdiggity
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@oberkc - that worked. Thanks for the tip.

Now waiting to see what Apple is going announce next week. Hope it works with Insteon devices.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  10:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't get your hopes up. Apple, and smarthome, seem to like to keep things rather proprietary. And, I have not seen any indication that insteon was (or is) "certified" by apple for any HA purposes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page