New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TimCA
Average Member

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  11:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I am finally getting ready to stare wiring this addition up. I was looking on line and see that they sell a bundled (2)RG6 quad shealded and (2) cat5. this seams like it will make life easer but should I be concerned about the Cat5 vs Cat6? I called to confirm and yes they (my local electrical whorehouse) only caries the bundle with the cat5. SO should I run a double RG6 and then 2 Cat6 on its own or will I be OK with the Bundle with the cat5. I guess I'm wondering what you would do if you were in the open wall phase of construction.... This will be home run back to the panel from any location I expect a computer, TV or data device.

Thanks
Tim

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cat6

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but now one more question. I was talking to the guy at the wire house and he was asking why I wanted Cat6 vs Cat5. I told him for the future of coarse... but his feeling was that unless you twist and make your connections perfect you will never get true Cat6 speed. I am using cable internet and now Im wondering if Cat6 is worth the hassle and extra expense... I have never made a Cat5 or Cat 6 connecter and assumed it was purity straight forward for a novice, am I wrong? Thanks for your input.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  6:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Twisting wires to make connections for any unshielded twisted pair type cable, Cat5 or Cat6, is incorrect and should never be done. Doing so will certainly reduce the capability of the cable and may introduce crosstalk. The correct method is to terminate the cable with a modular connector, male or female, as needed.

Terminating the cables is pretty straight forward, but you'll need to use the proper tool.

Of course you are correct to prepare for the future

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

paolo
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CAT5E cable is most commonly used today, as it's fast and economical. Visibly, you will notice a difference between CAT5E and CAT6 because CAT6 has a cross-shaped plastic separator in the middle, separating each twisted pair for reduced interference.

CAT5E supports Gigabit networking, but CAT6 is certified for Gigabit networking and will perform better over longer distances. Keep in mind that your network is only as fast as your slowest component, so unless every piece of your network (routers, cables, etc.) supports Gigabit Ethernet, you will not be able to reach those speeds.

Alarm installer
Go to Top of Page

Banichi

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  12:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Banichi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To clarify what paolo said:

Cat6A fits his description with the separator and is spec'd for longer distances for gigabit.

Cat6 does not have the separator as part of the spec but is still spec'd for significantly longer runs for gigabit ethernet than Cat5e.

There are many supply houses that sell a Cat6e which is not actually a spec. Cable manufacturers wanted to make some improvements and then take advantage of the marketing benefit of Cat6e vs Cat6. It is priced similarly to regular cat6 and so most of the supply houses here in Denver tend to only sell Cat6e. At the worst it will meet the Cat6 spec and at best it will come close to the performance of a Cat6a cable.

The technicals of what's going on is that essentially there are more twists per foot (or inch or whatever unit of measure) which increases reliability and transmission distance by reducing EMI and crosstalk. That said, like stusviews said, twisting, (or untwisting) the pairs will likely make your cable less reliable. Based upon what you said about your supply house guy, I would guess that what he didn't communicate well is that getting your connectors terminated with the least amount of alterations to the twist of the pairs is important to [highest] performance.

Other than getting your terminations close to the native twist of the wire, it's really not particularly difficult. As mentioned, proper tools are helpful. For rj45 plugs I really like the "EZ RJ45" because they allow the wires to come out the front of the connector which accomplishes 2 things: 1) It helps makes sure that they wires are in the correct order, and 2) It allows you to get that termination as close to that native twist as possible. It does require a crimp tool that has an extra blade to cut off the excess wire on the front of the connector. It's well worth it IMHO.

EDIT: Cat5e can support gigabit but over significantly shorter distances.

Edited by - Banichi on 09/12/2015 12:55:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

jec6613
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banichi

To clarify what paolo said:

Cat6A fits his description with the separator and is spec'd for longer distances for gigabit.

Cat6 does not have the separator as part of the spec but is still spec'd for significantly longer runs for gigabit ethernet than Cat5e.

EDIT: Cat5e can support gigabit but over significantly shorter distances.

Cat5e, 6, and 6a all support Gigabit Ethernet to 100 meters, there is no difference in length provided the runs certify. The difference is in how they support Multi-Gig 802.3bz, or 10Gbit Ethernet.

Cat5e will support 802.3bz 2.5 Gbps to 100m
Cat6 will support 802.3bz 5 Gbps to 100m, and 802.3an 10 Gbps to 55m
Cat6a will support 802.3an 10 Gbps to 100m

Cat6 uses both thicker cables and tighter twisting tolerances to boost throughput over Cat5e. Cat6a also adds shielding to allow the signal to propagate properly over longer runs.

The real length difference comes down to how HDBaseT, where HD video is transmitted over twisted pair, is handled. But that's another subject!

To go beyond 100m, multimode fiber can be used to 550m, or singlemode up to 80 km, depending on the fiber spec (OM1/2/3/4 or OS1/2) and speed being sent over the cables. OS1/2 have bandwidth practically limited only by the ability of the laser to modulate.
Go to Top of Page

haycan07
Starting Member

Turkey
2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  10:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit haycan07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paolo thanks for information about this subjet.Your explain is so simple that most of people can understand what you write.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Roberts
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  08:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sam Roberts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys i need suggestions anybody is online?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

174 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have cat 6a in my house. I would recommend that as internet speeds increase. At a minimum I would go with 5e
Go to Top of Page

Sam Roberts
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  09:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sam Roberts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have cate five 5e and cate 6e 1000ft would you like to buy it?
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  11:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twisting the cable reduces the effect of magnetic fields roughly up to about 300MHz. Above that frequency electric fields prevail and shielding takes over. By twisting the cable induction loops are created and because of the twist the adjacent ones are of opposite polarity. In theory, thus picked up magnetic field interference, after all the voltages generated by the loops are added, ends up being zero. In reality 60dB is about the maximum attenuation you can get. The more twists the better - up to a (practical) point.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page