searching:apartment intercom proxy to app/cell/net
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tymesx
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  2:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit tymesx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So we have archaic building system that just rings our phone and I can answer and talk and press 6 to let people in.

I have already replace it with a computer and a modem and "[email protected];" and remote access just to buzz someone in )for the archaic techies out there).

I'd like something that without involving stupid building, I can configure wirelessly then just plug into the regular rj11 (which has the regular phones that ring and I can use) to answer the phone and proxy it to my cell or better to the internet and an app somewhere.

There could be 3 degrees of functionality:
1st, it could just buzz my phone/app and I could click yes or no
2nd, it could proxy the actual line and I could talk to the front as if it was the in home phone -- this would be better if simultaneously would ring the home and remote cellphone
3rd, I could also plug in tvcable to the in-home device and it would also broadcast channel 116 (or whatever) to my cellphone app so I could talk and see and buzz people in or out.

There could also be other options, features and not a degree of functionallity, so that if possible after buzzing they could enter in a programmed disposable keycodes that were either onetime or good for a day or actually also set permanent keycodes that would always trigger the lock. Hmm, I could go on so perhaps also have a log of events to the above feature set (especially if there were disposable or permanent keycodes) -- so if someone remotely opened the door we could also be alerted.

tymesx
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit tymesx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nobody had anything to say?

Anyways, found thing I was looking for: obihai. Useful to connect to vonage or any voip provider, this little box can also just proxy any ring to any phone via the internet using Google Voice... when I ordered it I assumed I would need to rely on their app (for iphone or android), but they will use googlevoice which will call any number in North America for free!!!

The actual product is an Obi110 which has incoming and outgoing phone lines and an internet connection. I only need the incoming RJ11 to go to the wall to receive the intercom, it proxies voice and everything to the number I can program on the device or on a configuration website and voila. I can in areas of the building like the pool or garage or garden outside the range of normal cordless telephones or at the corner market down the street or at work 40 minutes away or completely out of the country --- if someone buzzes my door I can talk to them and press 6 or whatever number and buzz them into my archaic building. (I could also talk to them and give them a code to keypad on my apartment if I was super far away).

Anyways, I purchased one for CDN$80 plus shipping and then I expected to need to pay monthly for a voip service or resort to using their app, but since it also uses Google Voice, it is free to use GV after the initial hardware cost.

People can buzz me, my useless home phone and my cellphone can ring simultaneously and I can answer either. Now, I don't even need my home phone or my home keys... I can also just buzz myself in, so answer the call out front then press 6 to let myself into the building. Voila everything I wanted. I can get into my apt for the price of 80 for the front door and as little as another 60 to replace my door with a lock that has a keypad and things like one-time codes that I can issue over the phone.

I can also pick up the phone which was previously dead and dial anywhere in US/CA for free using GV. Win-win... if I had incoming calls (in this case exclusively from my intercom) they would go to my the number on my cellphone and I'd make outgoing calls anywhere for free.

I suppose smarthome should sell Obi110 from ObiHai. But It should not just in the voip section but importantly in the intercom section -- after all, I haven't had a landline in 17 years and didn't really want to get a voip service. And if I did have a land line this thing would also proxy that onto my cellphone! Or I could hook it up to a voip service. I just love this device.

Meanwhile, why didn't anybody else here know this and save me some time!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page