Some specific questions...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  05:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, i'm new to all this and would appreciate some advice. Building my home, doing most the work myself, very handy. Already framed. All cathedral ceilings so cabling must be in basement going up to rooms, no attic exists, anywhere. For wiring, my plan:

1) i piped 1/2 emt from 2nd floor master closet wall to basement for antenna, we arent cable fans
2) i piped 1/2 emt to all "main" rooms for intercom
3) i piped 3/4 emt to bedrooms, living, family room for rg6 and possible cat6
4) i piped 1/2 emt to a central location on first floor ceiling for cat6 run to wireless router

Already bought cat6/rg6 cable. Mynplan was to run one rg6 down from antenna box to basement. From basement run two rg6 and one cat5 to each tv location (one rg6 for antenna and one for cable if it were hooked up). The cat6 would be for hardline connectivity for the tv.

Floorplan is open. To get from one side of house to another, the runs need to run alongside a steel beam, 40 feet or so.

1) what can i use to hand bunches of cable next to a steel beam?
2) at top of beam (10-11 inches away) there are electrical runs, the bunches of cable here were not going to be in conduit, will rg6 be a problem here? This has to be where i run the cable
3) do i need to run two rg6 to each tv?
4) what is needed to install a few video cameras?

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Industrial strength adhesive back Velcro.
2. Shielded cable is usually not a problem, but if you're concerned, 6"-8" away is OK for parallel runs. Speaker cables should be at least one foot away.
3. A distribution box.
4. IP or CCTV? Wired or wireless? Observation only or recording?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can pass hdmi over two network cables. If you want to add a media player and have a smart tv then consider 2 network cables. I was also able to pass ir thrust a network cable to control a tv with roomie remote and an itach device. Also consider other network locations around the house. Basically, if the walls are open, run lots of cable.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  1:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see my last reply was lost, didn't realize you can reply and not be logged in...

For #3, what I meant was, are two RG6 cables really necessary?

For video cameras, I don't know if these are RG6 or CAT controlled. I assume CAT so some low voltage can be sent over the CAT cable to power them? I would prefer wired over wireless. Basically, all I need to do is just run a CAT cable to where I want a camera?

Eric, what do you mean by passing HDMI over two cat cables? I just learned about a device that converts cable signal to run over a cat cable (forgot the name of the item already...). So if I can do that, would it be better to run no RG6 at all and all CAT? Like maybe 4 CAT lines to each TV location?
Go to Top of Page

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  1:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

2. Shielded cable is usually not a problem, but if you're concerned, 6"-8" away is OK for parallel runs. Speaker cables should be at least one foot away.

Also, to address this one specifically, I see I bought unshielded cable. The cable will hang about 8-10" from the electrical conduit. What do you think? I'd hate to have to go buy two spools of 1000ft shielded for $300.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  3:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2. What kind of cable are you running alongside the beam and for what purpose. RG6 is shielded.

4. I agree, wired video is always more reliable that wireless. IP cameras require different wiring than CCTV cameras.

IP cameras can be powered via Ethernet cables, but you'll need to purchase injectors for each camera.

CCTV cameras are usually wired using a Siamese cable (video + power), but both can be powered locally.

Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is difficult to recommend a set up without knowing exactly what you want to do. I would run at least 2 coax and 2 cat6 to each location. One feed could be for sat or cable and the other for Ota antenna. If you have a media center then maybe you want to run more cable to that location, maybe more network or hdmi.
Regarding the hdmi over cat 6 i have only seen this for two cables not one. If you ever want to distribute video, I have one TiVo feeding two rooms, then run hdmi. Keystone plates are available with 6 ports, and I think 8. You don't necessarily need to terminate every cable, just leave it behind the plate. My movie room backs up to my utility room so I was able to run extra network cable (4 total) there for ip connected devices. A simple hub would have sufficed, but I prefer a direct run back to distribution switch. While the walls are open run a lot of cable. Just don't go to crazy. 10 years ago they tried to get me to run fiber everywhere in a townhouse construction. Glad I did not waste the money on that.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  5:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(2) running RG6 and CAT6 to all the bedrooms and family room is on that side too. I planned for two RG6 and one CAT6 to each bedroom, and one additional CAT6 for intercoms in a separate EMT conduit. The beam runs along the length of the house. There is a stairwell on one sid e that forces all the cables, electrical, plumbing, hvac to one side. Hence the reason i have to run CAT6 parallel to some electrical. All the utilities run this way and i dont want the drop down ceiling to be everywhere, just along the beam.

I read on another forum the twisted pair design of the cat6 makes it reject common noise from electrical lines. Some guys say they ziptie the cat6 to the electrical conduit and its fine (unshielded). The shield is aluminum in shielded which doesnt block anything anyway, they claim. Since i will be running them 8-10" away i hope i am fine.

Not sure if I need more than one CAT6 to the TV locations, if I do in the future i might just gat a switch?

(4) for the cameras, i just want a few outside, IP cameras vs CCTV i will have to research that.
Go to Top of Page

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  05:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(4) For the cameras, I think I am interested in IP cameras with a WDR (wide dynamic range). It seems to me that all I need for these IP cameras is a CAT cable run to where I want the camera, correct?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IP cameras (recording is not as easy as with CCTV cameras) require both Ethernet and power. An alternative is POE injectors for each camera (one at each end).

Go to Top of Page

Gokite
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  5:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stusviews, thanks for clarifying. Now I'm back to square one on the cameras. I'll have to look up POE injectors. What does POE stand for?

I piped 3/4 and 1/2 conduit to all my intercom and TV/bedroom locations from the basement up to second floor. Fun work! Came out great.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  5:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Power Over Ethernet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page