New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liv_rong
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  2:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! Im glad I found this forum! I have a few questions in regards to my project.

We are adding a second floor addition to our home and I decided now would be a good time to wire up my house. My buddy, who works in this field, has helped me tremendously with helping me realize my vision. I feel bad bothering him all the time with questions so that's why I am here now. I have spent hours on google researching but still have a few last questions.

The space where everything will be housed is not very large and space is at a premium so I really would like compact and neat cable management. I would like to run each line in the wall into a keystone wall plate and then run a small length patch cable from there to each corresponding component. I now have a 12 port cat6 patch panel, a 16 port switch and an 8 port powered bi-directional distribution box for the rg6. For the rg6 I would like to also use right angle connectors/adapters to really keep those cables under control and out of the way. My audio background(I have a little recording set up)tells me that the shortest length cable run with minimal connections is best due to possible signal degradation. Is this also the case for this stuff? It seems it would be, but I dont know.

This is the last bit of details for my little diy project. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  3:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The maximum length for Cat6 is 90 meters (328 feet) between the panel and the wall jack and 10 meters (33 feet) between the wall jack and the device.

I haven't found anything definitive for RG6, but most installers suggest no more that 60 meters (200 feet) total. A splitter reduces that even more.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

liv_rong
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  5:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not concerned much about the length of runs as much as the amount of connections involved. Let me phrase it this way, should I just run the lines from the wall straight into the patch panel and rg6 distribution box? Or is it ok to run the lines in the wall to wall plates and then run small patch cables from there? If I do that will the right angle f type adapters degrade the signal? In fact could all of these additional connections and patch cables degrade the signals?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  6:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use several right angle adapters for Cat5/6, RG6/58 with no noticeable degradation in performance.

None of my runs exceed the total length I indicated except for one 15 meter (50 feet) Cat5 run between the keystone wall plate and the device. No problem there.

I also prefer a shorter run, where convenient. I do allow for "pulling out" the equipment.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

liv_rong
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  1:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. I'll do what I proposed then and have more connections and small patch cables unless anyone else can provide a sound argument against it.

Thanks much for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

liv_rong
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  1:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished up with everything!

Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2015 :  2:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredibly neat work, great job with this. I had to figure out what the Arris box is and that seams like a great device.
I would consider a ups for your equipment which you could tuck at the back of the shelf. Also thanks for posting your project, most people do not.
E

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

liv_rong
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2015 :  3:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricK

Incredibly neat work, great job with this. I had to figure out what the Arris box is and that seams like a great device.
I would consider a ups for your equipment which you could tuck at the back of the shelf. Also thanks for posting your project, most people do not.
E

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page