Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Thermostat Wiring (American Standard to Honeywell)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cakerat
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  11:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. We would like to buy a universal, non-touch, programmable thermostat for our heat pump (has aux heat and multiple stages).

We currently have an American Standard touch version (it sucks), which has only three wires hooked up: D (green wire), R (red wire), and B (black wire). I don't think it has batteries, because I don't see any. I just want to make sure we only hook up those same wires, and no other wires, which are currently shoved into the wall, when hooking up a new thermostat.

Also, I have yet to see a heat pump wire listing online that shows D. What the heck is that for? I would post a pic, but I don't know how to here.

We are thinking of putting in the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable, which requires a C wire. Not sure if my B (black wire) would work in its place. From what I have been reading online, it's possible my B wire is just powering the thermostat. ?

Thanks!

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the model of the current thermostat?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

cakerat
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model ACONT900AC43UA. According to the manual, it's a 3-wire hookup. D=data, R= power-24 vac (hot), B= power-24 vac (common)
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  6:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The American Standard Comfort Control Model ACONT900AC43UA is a propriety thermostat for AccuLink componets and cannot be replaced using a standard thermostat (in spite of the name).

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

cakerat
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  6:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer! Does this mean I need to call an AS dealer and get another (overpriced) AS thermostat?
Go to Top of Page

tp212
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  07:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cakerat, it sound like I'm on the same boat you are. With an old Honeywell and wanting to install something with WiFi.

What did you end up doing?
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Talisca
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  12:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat is one of the few Wi-Fi programmable thermostats that actually looks like a thermostat. While many of its competitor models such as the Nest Learning 2nd Generation and the ecobee3 have gone for sleek, futuristic look, the RTH6580WF retains a more conventional styling. That does not mean that it is not a state of the art wireless programmable thermostat, though, far from it.

As with most other Wi-Fi programmable thermostatats, it is compatible with the vast majority of North American heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, but it does needs a ‘C’ (or Common) wire to be able to function correctly which not all systems have. Take a look at our Installation section below for links to some very helpful videos that Honeywell have made showing some easy options for a work around when you don’t have a ‘C’ wire.

Once installed, the thermostat quickly starts to bring you benefits. It has the Honeywell’s Smart Response Technology where the thermostat learns your system and calculates how long it will take to heat or cool your home and adjusts itself automatically. So, if you want to get up to a warm house at 6.00 am, the RTH6580WF will turn your heating on at the right time so at 6.00 am it is at the temperature that you selected.

Through the Wi-Fi, once the thermostat has been registered, it can be adjusted from anywhere in the world, using your PC, your tablet or smartphone. There is an app for both Apple and Android systems. The system will also send you email alerts if the temperatures go above or below preset limits. http://www.thermostatistics.com/ has great and informational reviews about thermostats

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page