New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfollowell
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I will be moving into our new home soon. I had CAT6 and RG6 ran everywhere. I just found out that the electrician won't be terminating the ends of the cables, so I need to pick up some connectors and tools to get the job done before Time Warner Cable comes to hookup. I'm sure they'd do a few of them for me as part of the install, but I doubt they'd do them all and I'd really prefer to have everything inside done so that all they have to do is hookup to the house and then confirm signal inside.

First of all, how to I wire the RJ-45 connectors? I am not planning to have a patch panel; I really don't see the purpose. I'll be coming straight from the jacks in the individual rooms, back to my network room and straight into the network switch. Would I wire these up in a "straight" configuration? It looks like cross-over configuration is used only to connect devices directly. From what I can see, patch cables, and in-wall cabling like I have should be wired straight. I just wanted to confirm.

Secondly, since I need to do these myself, I need to pick up a couple of tools. I have a decent RG-6 stripper. Does anyone have any good suggestions for an Ethernet stripper, an RJ-45 crimper, and an RG-6 compression tool? Also, what about F-type RG-6 compression connectors and RJ-45 connectors? For the tools, I'd like to get decent quality, but let's face it, after I get this job done, I'll only use these pretty infrequently so I'd rather not shell out $300 for a set of professional tools if I can get by with something almost as good for much less.

Lastly, any tips on getting f-type connectors seated well? I ran all new wiring for our satellite setup at our old house a couple of years ago and had the most horrible experience ever getting those connectors seated well, and I use the term "well" lightly. I thought I bought fairly high quality connectors and wire but it was a nightmare and I was barely able to get the connectors seated well enough to get the dielectric up to the base of the connector; some I couldn't even get that close. I cut, blistered and pretty much wore my palm out trying to push and twist those things on and get them down far enough. I don't know if it was an equipment issue of if I was just screwing something up. Any advice to keep me from having a similar horrible experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to give.

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of the generic crimping tools from HD for network cables and it works fine. Commercial electric I think. There a some videos on YouTube on how to terminate your cables into a plug which is fine for the utility side. Itntakes some practice to get it right and use strain relief boots to make them look nice. When we moved into out house there was a wired network. I added a middle Atlantic rack with shelves to clean things up. This is an older pic, currently set up is cleaner with more gear. Cable ties are a must.

You do not need a patch panel. For the room side you want to terminate the network cables into keystone jacks. Check monoprice for some inexpensive gear. I have used the small plastic punch down tool that is included with keystone jacks from hd and that works fine. If you are going to be punching down a lot of cables then my be get something better.
Be sure to label everything. There is a very inexpensive tone generator to trace cables. For the network plug you would need a coupler.
For the coax you need the correct tools. Just check reviews on the strippers to make sure you get a decent one. Compression connections seems like they are the best.
Eric

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page