New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TimCA
Average Member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  10:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there. Just wondering how should I plan to wire my AV system in conjunction with my home automation.I want to have a main living room with TV and surround sound and then sepetat whole house audio controllable from multiple locations for music. I have over thought this to confusion. I am planning on having a dedicated room home automation, alarm,telephone, satellit, out door lightong, sprinklers... "brain room" if it helps but it is 20 ft (and one floor) away. My question really where can I find a good diagram for an entire home wiring system in regards to AV and homr Automation.
thanks
Tim

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  10:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is no, "good diagram for an entire home wiring system in regards to AV and homr Automation." There are example diagrams for each system, but there is no one size-fits-all.

Whole house audio requires at least speaker wiring to each room plus a means of control. Home automation uses standard wiring throughout. Older wiring requires a few extra parts. Alarms can be integrated with home automation or separate.

Telephones are easy. A few wired jacks and a bunch of wireless phones. Satellite requires a cable to each room.

Outdoor lighting is part of home automation. So can be sprinklers.

What are your specific needs, for example, the irrigation, the outdoor lighting, etc.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  11:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here is what I have. On one wall I'll have a "smart" tv. I want to put all the components into a cabinet about 12 ft away. This cabinet is about 20 ft from the "nerve centerm of the house will be. All the automation, phone,satellite, cable, cameras, alarms.... stuff will route there. I have 2 rg59 and 2 cat 6 from the TV to the av cabinet. I havery 2 rg59 and 2 cat6 from the TV to the nerv center. And 2 rg59 and 2 cat6 from thav cabinet to the nerv canter. Is this enough? What if anything should I change. Thinking of tv,dvr,dvd, sewing out side cameras in pip on the tv. Street ing videos and or laptop screen onto tv sceen.... help. Need to pre wire before I insulate.. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You list is too general. For example, which home automation system, IP or CCTV cameras, wired or wireless, how many, which alarm system, both satellite and cable, what about audio, etc.???

Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  07:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh. Well, the short answer is I don't know. I will not be able to install most of this for a few years due to finances and who knows what will be out there then. I am just trying to plan and put the wires in now while the walls are open. My main concern is the requirements of the AV and how (if at all) it can or should interact with the "automated house". Normally I have 2 RG6 from the dish to a splitter in the brain room. From there 1 RG6 goes to each direct tv dvr (1 at each tv) that sits under the TV itself. There is then 1 RG6 that goes to the TV from the DVR and audio out from the DVR to the receiver for poor mans surround sound. Can I just extend these lines length so that nothing is under the TV but in a separate cabinet? What if I want to check the outside security camera while watching tv. Or use the TV as a screen for my laptop? Should these things be wired directly to the TV from the Brain room or can / should they be routed through the AV cabinet. Any other ideas that I might incorporate from experience or some thing you have read or seen? Any links to others who have written about this? For now I use Insteon switches and a few Insteon outlets. I plan to add an ISY at some point and some kind of limited security (ELK ?) Out door lighting and so on but I don't think any of that affects this part of planning the AV system .... or does it ;-) Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wiring now for years in the future is futile and will probably be a waste of money.

For example, at one time video was carried using coax cables, later S-Video was the most advanced cabling. Then that gave way to HDMI. It's best to just run flexible tubing and pull wire/cables as needed.

Go to Top of Page

rsmith
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  6:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit rsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pull cat5/6 and coax you can use a balun to send hdmi over coax or cat5/6 there is such most of the hme we have wired in the last 15 years all have cat5 and coax and we have had no issues getting our customers the highest quality pictures at their tv. For audio 16/4 or 16/2 works great for whole house audio and surround systems
http://thtva.com/whole-home-audio

Rick Smith
Theatron
http://www.thtva.com
http://www.gethometheater.com

Go to Top of Page

Banichi

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Banichi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What I generally tend to do is pull an RG6 and a Cat6e at least to each tv location. If there is going to be a situation where there will be other AV components such as a receiver and multiple sources in something like a media cabinet then I will pull 2 x Cat6e cables to the TV location and sometimes forego the coax but usually don't since it's not that expensive.

The reason for the 2 x Cat6e is that I will use 1 for data for the TV and 1 for HD signal from the receiver. All of your video sources will generally feed through your receiver, (satellite, Blu-ray, game systems etc) with only the one feed out to your TV.

Based upon your scenario what I would do is the following:
1) Run coax and data (cat6) from your nerve center to your AV cabinet

2) From your AV cabinet to your TV pull 2 cat6 - 1 is for data to the smart TV the other is for HDMI using baluns or HDbaseT.

3) Run coax from your nerve center to your TV location - running this coax give you the possibility to run the TV standalone without any surround sound components if you desire in the future. This coax will likely never be used but again coax is cheap so why not.

4) Whole home audio - Run a 16/2 or 16/4 wire to each location where you will place speakers, whether that be sitting in the ceiling waiting for future in ceiling speakers or as wall plate binding post for floor or bookshelf speakers. My personal preference here is to get a multi-channel amp and run Sonos Connects from your nerve center. That means that you don't need wall volume controls as everything is controlled from your smart device of choice.

5) Security cameras - getting picture in picture on your display from your security cameras is somewhat challenging but I think that I found a potential solution. Assuming that you are using IP cameras the biggest problem is getting the IP feed into a format that the TV can parse to use in a PiP scenario. There are some TVs now that can do PiP with 1 HDMI source and 1 other source so that is one avenue once you get a video source and not an IP source. To do that you will likely need either some sort of NVR or a nettop PC running some IP camera software which will output to HDMI, (likely).

The best scenario I have found for this, (and what I will be doing on my next install) is having a nettop pc that is attached to the back of a tv along with a Dish or DirecTV slave box (a Joey or whatever DirecTV calls their little boxes). The 2 HDMI feeds from those 2 boxes feed into this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07R1ZR6330, FosPower 4x1 4 port HDMI Switch w/Picture in Picture. I will then trigger the PiP with an IRLinc when the driveway sensor is triggered. In your case it would be 1 HDMI from the nettop pc and the other from your receiver over the cat6 cable.

6) Your laptop screen on the tv - depending on pc or mac you can accomplish this with either an apple tv or a chromecast. No need to hard wire for this.

Lastly, if you ever anticipate the possibility of eliminating the AV cabinet or moving it to the nerve center, then I would run the earlier mentioned TV > AV cabinet cables from TV > Nerve center > AV cabinet. It's a longer run but it makes it easier to change your configuration. Oh and really last point. Running flex conduit from nerve center to AV cabinet, AV Cabinet and TV, and nerve center and TV is a good way to give you the option to pull cable at a later date and also to change what cable is in the wall. I personally hate HDMI and generally try to run HDMI over Cat6 because even if you can get a cable for some of the longer runs, the connectors are huge thus requiring larger conduit that is much more difficult to get and is also significantly more expensive. And in my experience/opinion it is likely that any foreseeable future interconnect like HDMI will be able to be run over some form of category cable (Cat7, 8 or 9?).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page