New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tink
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  4:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Current situation, mix of insteon and X-10; PLM (interface from PC to devices) is out of date and needs to be replaced; I am replacing several of my remote X-10 devices with insteon for operational reliability (remote means the switching devices are in areas not normally accessed). I am going to keep X-10 devices but use those only for one time use like Christmas tree, etc. It would be nice to be able to automate X-10 in the future.

Control via PC (Windows 8.1), tablet (android) and smartphone (aple) would be nice; settle for PC only, as long as PC does not have to remain on.

I have read & read and remain confused as to what I should purchase. Both of these products seem to do the trick:

isy994i
Insteon Hub

Recommendations & opinions would be greatly appreciated.

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  4:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neither device requires that a computer be on. The INSTEON Hub no longer supports X10 nor does it support conditionals (e.g., HL Events).

The Hub requires that all managing be done using a smartphone or tablet. A computer browser can be used to control devices and scenes only after they've been set up using the Hub.

The ISY does not include an app. Apps are available, but you can also access the ISY using a browser on a computer, smartphone or tablet. An ISY also has advanced programming abilities. Port forwarding is required.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Tink
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  6:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is port forwarding?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  8:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Port forwarding opens a private tunnel from a WAN (the internet) to a specific device on a LAN (devices connected to your router).

For a small fee, MobiLinc (an app) handles that kind of communication. The Hub already has that service/ability. If you only want/need control from home, none of this is required, even using a smartphone.

Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  9:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People have described the isy as the best appliance they have ever purchased. I use my isy to control 2 X10 switches. I do not have the x10 module which would increase functionality. There are numerous threads comparing the hub and isy. If you want to use any conditional logic then you need an isy. I am not sure if the hub supports x10, but the new hub2 does not. I rarely control things with my phone, if I do it is typically with roomie remote which interfaces very well with the isy. Rarely I will access the isy directly with my iphone. The interface is not pretty but it works. Mobilinc seems to be the app of choice for the isy.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

PhilLesh69
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently have the hub. I used to have the PLM until it just crapped out after about 2 years of use.

I want to do two things that I cannot seem to come up with a solution using the hub. Maybe someone can suggest a better controller or knows of a solution:

I want to have the exhaust fan in my master bath turn off 30 minutes after it is turned on. I already have it trigger an alert that I receive on my smartphone, and was wondering if I could tie that into IFTTT and then set a timer either on my phone or on a server on my LAN to wait 30 minutes then send an HTTP request to the hub to turn the light off.

The second thing I'd like to do is if the bathroom exhaust fan is turned on before 10am, Monday through Friday, and the temperature outside is below 45 degrees, to send an HTTP request to the cloud app for my Viper SmartStart remote car starter.

I can write a bash, perl, PHP or javascript program to do the HTTP requests. But I'm hoping I don't need to write my own polling service to query the insteon devices, but rather can use a controller to trigger the program that does these things.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  12:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Insteon Hub is not capable of conditionals. You'll need software or an ISY.

Go to Top of Page

PhilLesh69
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  11:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The Insteon Hub is not capable of conditionals. You'll need software or an ISY.

I don't need the hub to do the conditionals, I simply need a way for my PHP script to be triggered when specific insteon devices are turned on or off.

Using Maker and IFTTT I am able to trigger a web request to an apache web server running on my LAN that sends http commands to the insteon Hub and/or sends an http command to Viper's cloud service to start the car. Only problem is that Maker sometimes takes 10 or more minutes to process the "recipe" to check for the insteon email notifications.

This morning, when I turned on my bathroom exhaust fan, the notification was received by Maker about 10 minutes after I turned it on. I was basically walking out to my car when it finally got the signal to start the car.

I need a more direct way to handle the notifications and trigger the scripts on my apache server. Maker is obviously using a polling interval of 10 minutes or longer. I'd like the communications to take less than 1 or 2 minutes across the whole process.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page