Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 AV equipment in remote location. NEED HELP!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danasimp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's what I have: living room upstairs with 4k, 3D tv. Room in basement with cable box, Blu-Ray player. Have cat 5 cables running between the two locations. Need to be able to hook all of this up. Am mostly clueless. Best scenario would be to keep all of this equipment in its remote location but still be able to utilize full potential of 4k and 3d content. A big plus would be one remote to control it all. Would appreciate any help.

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  1:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need at least HDMI to Cat5 extenders as well as an IR extender. What else is needed depends on the all specific devices that are being interconnected including the speakers.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  04:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For control of equipment located beyond line-of-site, I have used several options. The easiest solution may be the one suggested by stusviews. Are you intending to control everything via a single remote?

In addition, some companies produce RF-based remotes and base stations (mine was made by Universal Remote Control). Some devices can be controlled through HDMI-CEC (depending on brand, look for something like Braviasync, Anynet+, SimpLinc, etc...) The harmony hub is a nice option, and I found it relatively painless to set up. My current choice is a device made by Itach wf2ir to blast IR signals to distant devices and an app on android tablet or phone for interface.

I have not found this to be a trivial problem, but if you are willing to research devices such as that, read manuals, and experiment, this can be done.
Go to Top of Page

Danasimp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  9:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much. These replies at least point me in the direction to begin my journey!
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Roomie Remote for ios to control devices via IP or via IR with iTach flex wired devices. Roomie worked ok with my smartlinc, and supposedly does with the Hub. Roomie works very well with the ISY. Check this video which may give you some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3VutwUpt00&feature=player_detailpage
You can send IR over network cables. I made my own, but you can buy these:

Having the bluray player in the basement does make it more difficult to drop in a disc.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page