New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Calox

19 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile
What Insteon products are forum users waiting for?

I know that I have a a handful, but I'd like to see what other forum users are thinking. Here's my list:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Thermostats
- Plug-in Modules (i.e. "Socket Rockets")
- Security Cameras

Xpendable
Advanced Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Xpendable's Homepage
- Temperature/humidity reporting modules that plug into an AC outlet
Go to Top of Page

Skiddy

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:35:02 AM  Show Profile
All of the above but an IR bridge so those with Universal Remotes like the Harmony range could control A/V and lighting together.
Go to Top of Page

QuickCarl
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  11:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuickCarl's Homepage  Send QuickCarl an AOL message
I'm with Skiddy... bridge to IR being the most important. I have Universal Remotes (Prontos) athat I could rig to control everything in the world (well my house at least) if the bridge existed.

Carl Chapman - COO at Interview on Demand, LLC
Video Interviews | Career Video Expert >> Blog | Video Interview Service - FREE Trial | Hiring Technology Newsletter
Go to Top of Page

ginigma
Average Member

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ginigma's Homepage
I'm with Skiddy and QuickCarl. IR interface/receiver, perhaps built into the ControLinc? Main point is to be able to use a Universal Remote (Harmony 880) to control lights/devices.

Insteon (46 devices) ^ PowerHome (698 links) ^ Logitech Harmony 880
Go to Top of Page

Calox

19 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:09:41 PM  Show Profile
The IR interface/receiver is definitely cool. I just found out about these Logitech Harmony remotes. It looks like the new Harmony 890 doesn't even need line-of-sight...it uses RF and a bridge.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=10930

It would be VERY sweet to use one of these remotes with Insteon.

Edited by - Calox on 04/20/2006 1:11:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

jhimmel
Average Member

114 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Simple answer for me - Universal (low voltage switching) module is what I need. It is the only thing that I have left putting X10 signals on my powerline. The rest of my left over X10 (motion sensors, security devices, etc) are wireless and are not a big problem right now. Unlike the powerline side of X10, I find X10 wireless protocol to be quite adequate and reliable with a W800.

So give me an Insteon universal module!

Jim H.

Edited by - jhimmel on 04/20/2006 4:53:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  09:12:31 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a motion detector integrated with a Switchlinc. That way you wouldn't have to put and change batteries in it because it would have an AC power source. You could program it to go off it doesn't detect movement for a certain amount of time or go on when it detects something. You could program a timer so it only automatically goes on certain times of the day as you may not need it to go on in the daytime. You could also have photosensing but I didn't have very good luck with X10 light sensors. When the lights went on the photosensor would think there was enough light and then switch off then it would be dark and it would switch back on again. This would repeat over and over again. I would also want to be able to use the sensor independently of that local load at the switchlinc to use it to control something else.
Go to Top of Page

Buddha
Average Member

84 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey, just noticed that Smarthome is now offering

1) custom etched buttons for keypadlinc (they look great)
and
2) INSTEON togglelincs (pre-orders are being taken so must be very close to shipping)

Go to Top of Page

snowjay
Average Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Cool!

I was going to get some Icon On/Off switches but now I think I'll get a toggle link and save money on having to buy all new switch plates. I know they are cheap but I bought all new when I moved in a couple of years ago and in some places the toggle is nice because you can just flip it without looking.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  7:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
no requests for software yet?

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

Calox

19 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  9:12:11 PM  Show Profile
mike,

I'm waiting for Indigo (Mac OS X) timer/event download support for the 2814ub. If Smarthome could release a comparable Mac OS X home automation solution, I would definitely be interested. I would also like to see a "spruced up" interface to the Smarthome Manager Essential, Timer app for Windows, although I hear there's a more comprehensive software package in the works. It would also be nice if Smarthome software packages were cross-platform compatible (Java?) for those of us geeks who change OS on a weekly/monthly basis.
Go to Top of Page

RTQ

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  12:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RTQ's Homepage
Here are some software ideas:

1. The ability to set a timer for more that 15 minutes before or after sunrise/sunset. An hour or more would be more helpful.

2. How about the ability to save your module definitions and timer setup to a file?

3. I'd like to be able to define a module some other way than the run-all-over-the-house-to-push-the-set-button approach. Come on - who thought of that one?

4. Conditional timers please. For example: if the lamp module is at 100%, dim it to 50% - otherwise do nothing.

5. It would sure be helpful to see what's stored in the controller - like the time and sunset/sunrise time.

6. Currently (I think) the software does not let you look at the information about a module that was previously defined to the controller if the controller is not able to connect with it. This is frustrating. If I'm trying to trouble-shoot, then I should be able to see this information.

7. Finally, a list of all modules and their statuses would be helpful.

Rick Quisenberry
Go to Top of Page

pew
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:15:08 AM  Show Profile
I am still waiting for a controller which has the programmability of the old JDS TimeCommander. Sadly even newer x10 controllers are missing the boat.

Logic options are just not there. If you just want to turn some lights on or off you are fine. But, to do any amount of nested conditionial, counter, delay, it is not there.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Fixed version of KeypadLinc V2 that allows local load to be any button (or even not controlled locally at all) instead of only top/bottom or top left button.

Inline modules.
Inductive dimmers.
OS X version of SmartHome's software.

IR bridge.

Wired-in Signal Bridge (useful for esthetic reasons as well as for speed).

The updated version of the KeypadLinc is pretty important for several reasons:

Scenario 1 - Master Bedroom:

1, 2, 3 are KeypadLinc V2 switches configured as in image 2.

1 has L1 as its local load
2 has L2 as its local load
3 has L3 as its local load

With current KeypadLinc V2 switches, all three (1,2,3) would have different configurations, but if the local load could be moved to a different button, they could be configured in a way that is more intuitive by having them all be the same.

Scenario 2 horizontal mounted KeypadLinc V2:

Users are told that the top left button is always the local load. In this case, without changes, it is the bottom left (or top right depending on how it is mounted). Again, if it was movable even in a horizontal mode, it could be kept consistent.

Scenario 3 Three way switches:

These two rooms have one common wall. Currently, left room has two switches 1 and 2 configured as three way switches that control light L1. Right room has two switches in a box that is back to back with switch 2's box. Switch 3's load is light L2 and Switch 4's load is light L3.

Optimum situation:

Switch 1 is replaced by a KeypadLinc V2 whose load is light L1.
Switch 2 is replaced by a KeypadLinc V2 whose local load is light L3.
Switch 3 is replaced by a KeypadLinc V2 whose local load is light L2.
Switch 4 is eliminated.

On and off buttons (6-button configuration) for Switches 1 and 2 both control light L1. No button on switch 2 controls its local load (that light is in another room and would not be controlled from there).

Switch 3 has one button that controls light L2 and one that controls light L3.

In this way, three KeypadLinc V2 switches have replaced four regular switches.

This is a simplified example as it provides no explanation as to why KeypadLinc V2 switches would be used, but assume there is a good reason. :)

One final option - two four button configurations (using the same style buttons from the six-button): On/off light 1, On/off light 2 or four independent lights.

/carmi

Edited by - majortom on 04/29/2006 11:41:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

hammer32

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  10:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hammer32's Homepage
I'd like to see:

- Wireless Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Insteon support in XTension (Mac OS 9/X) home automation software

-Sean
Go to Top of Page

tomdoyle
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile
I have made the plunge and have given up on X10. After wasting over 10 years hoping that X10 would fix their many problems I invested in Insteon.

The modules seem to work very well but the software for the 2414U needs a bit of work.

- The 2414 module is a nice white box without any way of determining what is in it. A 2414 info function would be helpful. It would be nice to know the internal clock setting, how much memory is used for the timers, what sunset/sunrise times have been loaded into it. A function of this type must have been used in debugging the program so it should be easy to incorporate into the production version of the program.

- One of my big complaints about Active Home Pro was the sunrise/sunset offset being limited to +/- 60 minutes. I was very disappointed to see that the 2414 software lowers this limit to 15 minutes. Makes even less sense that the 60 minute limit of AHP.

- No File Save or Load function. It is important to be able to save a functioning version of the timers before making major changes. A very basic software function is the ability to roll back to a previous version. Also nice to be able to switch between a "Vacation" setup and a "Normal" setup by simply loading files into the control program and downloading to the 2414.

- The GUI has an Old School look to it that does not evoke confidence.

- A "Palm Pad" remote of some type would be great. It could be produced at lower cost than the gigantic Control Linc device and included in the starter kit.

- My main concern is that the software with the 2414 module will be crippled forever so that there is no competition for third party software.

- I realize that many of these suggestions have been listed before but they are important and worthy of repetition.

tom ...

Go to Top of Page

VTCarl
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  6:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas so far - I'd like to second the motion sensor and wireless remotes.

Software request - decision making. For instance, I'd like to dim the porch lights at 7pm in the winter, but later in the summer (i.e. 2 hrs after sunset, or 7pm - whichever is later)

If the software got really good - a hardware option that would be nice would be a light sensor. This could augment the sunrise / sunset settings (turn lights on at sunset, or earlier if it's dark due to weather), or even replace it (turn lights on when it's dark outside)
Go to Top of Page

hammer32

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hammer32's Homepage
On the Mac side get the XTension guys to support Insteon. The Indigo folks already do, but there are a lot of XTension users that would like to use Insteon as well, but would like to stick with XTension (I've emailed them too :) )

-Sean
Go to Top of Page

QuickCarl
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuickCarl's Homepage  Send QuickCarl an AOL message
VTCarl - most software programs have a provision for using Sunrise and Sunset. PowerHome (available at www.power-home.com) has that as well as dawn and dusk.

You can also use and X10 motion sensor that has the ability to tell dusk and dawn (bulit in light sensor) in order to establish a global variable for use in determining whether or not to issue a certain command.

I have purchased a number of Hawkeyes and Eagleyes on eBay for an average cost of about $7.00. At that price taking one out of motion sensing duty to simple check for dusk and dawn is a no-brainer.

Video Interviews | Career Video Expert >> Blog | Video Interview Service - FREE Trial | Hiring Technology Newsletter
Go to Top of Page

Lexguy
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:31:45 AM  Show Profile
products I'd love to see;

Hardware; RF Wireless LCD Remote, using a touch screen color LCD for an Icon basded graphical interface, say no larger than 5x7 inches, weighing no more than .75 lbs.

Software; More OSX stuff period
Go to Top of Page

mdiehl
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  7:52:57 PM  Show Profile

Add my vote for RF remotes, motion detectors and an enhanced version of the timer software because many of us have relatively small systems that do not require (or would not like to have to require a 24/7 computer assisted software package). I'm caught in the middle between software which won't quite do what I want (particularly when motion detectors are released) and software that has features which I would never use anyway (even if I could figure out how to use them...much of the 24/7 computer based packages are anything but intuitive!

I don't think I'm the only one out here thinking this, if I am, well now you know...
Go to Top of Page

CopyRon
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  03:47:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Add my vote for RF remotes, motion detectors and an enhanced version of the timer software because many of us have relatively small systems that do not require (or would not like to have to require a 24/7 computer assisted software package). I'm caught in the middle between software which won't quite do what I want (particularly when motion detectors are released) and software that has features which I would never use anyway (even if I could figure out how to use them...much of the 24/7 computer based packages are anything but intuitive!

Yea, that's what we want!!

Ron Copsetta
It wasn't broke til I fixed it!
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  08:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
MajorTom - I will bring this up to the team.

Xtension - make this request to the Xtension folks! Companies will move faster if they start hearing requests from end users. This is part of the reason we monitor all of the forums. To see what people are requesting and make products that people want and not just what we think they will want.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

VTCarl
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile
QuickCarl - Thanks for the reminder about motion sensors - I forgot / misunderstood the dawn/dusk feature.

But, as others point out, I don't want a computer on all the time to run my lights. And, since I'm converting to Insteon, I'm still wondering how I can make this work.

Is it possible for the Insteon timer module (USB) to receive an X10 signal (A2:ON - from dusk detection) and take an action (turn on an insteon unit, set a variable for later decision making, etc.)?

I haven't sprung for the SDK yet, but am considering it if these things could be done.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

QuickCarl
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuickCarl's Homepage  Send QuickCarl an AOL message
VTCarl - it looks like a second release of the houselinc software will include the ability to download "profiles' so that your PLC will react to triggers wtihout having the computer on.

Personally, I have no problem with PCs being left on (it costs less than $9 per month to run a computer...) just like the idea of all the commnads being self-contained in the PLC, simpler.

Go to Top of Page

mteator

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  07:39:26 AM  Show Profile
The two big things I want is an IR interface so I can control this stuff with my harmony remotes, and the software to configure the devices via a PC.

I wouldn't have thought a PC being left on would be a big deal for the type of people using this stuff... we have from 4 to 6 machines on 24/7 in the house.

~Michael
Go to Top of Page

CopyRon
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  09:00:13 AM  Show Profile
For some of us it is a big deal.
I compete with my 'puter so it is only for a few hours a day, ususally way overclocked.
If it costs even only $9 a month to keep it on, that eats up all the cost saving I would realize by automating my lights.
My automation is pretty basic, it does sensor triggers and macros for security and light timing for security and savings.
ActiveHome has been able to provide reasonably reliable software for years that does what I need (or want).
After spending hundreds moving my basics to Insteon,my X10 has become less reliable (not that I wasn't warned) there are still several pieces of hardware I need to complete the change over, such as outdoor motion sensor lights with triggers, wieless palm pads and indoor and outdoor motion sensors.
Right now, I feel I have taken astep backward in HA, and am eagerly awiting some new products here!

Ron Copsetta
Go to Top of Page

sommerlund
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile
I am new to Insteon products. I got a starter kit and am evaluating it. So far so good. Some things I am looking for as I examine how to integrate it into my house.
Need:
- IR Bridge. Like almost everyone else who posed. I want to be able to control Insteon from my Harmony 880. It supports x10 natively, so perhaps you could get together with Logitech and get them to support Insteon too (assuming you make an IR Bridge)
- Motion Sensors. I want to turn on the lights in the Pantry when someone enters. Perhaps having a switch link relay that has a built in motion sensor? Another related thing is to "automatically" sound a door bell when someone approaches the house.
- Daylight Sensor. In coordination with the Motion Sensor. I want too be able to turn on the outside lights when someone approaches. But... only at night.
- Software. But I already saw you are working on that. The screen shots however, do no look like a modern software product.
- Socket Module. For a cleaner look in highly visible areas being able to just replace the socket itself with one that accepts Insteon Commands.
Want:
- Temp Sensor. I want to be able to control the speed of the fans based on the current temp.
- Thermostat. In coordination with the temp sensor used to control the AC to reduce energy bills. Why both? Temp sensors in every room with a fan. One Thermostat per floor.
- Wireless Table Top Controller.
- What would be cool.. but not necessary... a Voice Controller.
Go to Top of Page

mteator

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Ron,

I guess I never thought of Insteon for energy savings... considering the high up front cost (two switches are as much as a fall/spring electric bill for us) and that the switches and controllers all draw power constantly... and for dimming I already had that with traditional passive dimmers.

My wife and & are both computer nerds so we just have an array of machines always on. Guess I take it for granted.

~Michael
Go to Top of Page

CopyRon
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a nerd, but I do try to get the max out of everything including my computer.
Here are the Top Dawg awards from MaxPC from last May.
Scroll down to the Intel catagory, you will notice that I am the only prize winner not using refrigeration to cool my CPU, this was aworld wide competition.
I am CopyRon
http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/maxpc/may2005winners.asp

I have since built a machine that scores 800 points higher than that one.

Ron Copsetta
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page