Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

niels
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  06:00:24 AM  Show Profile
Someone, either smarthome or a third party, should make products that have a FilterLinc module built-in. The problem I keep running in to is that the big FilterLinc box is needed on quite a few pieces of equipment/outlets, but it's rather unsightly, expensive and takes up a lot of space.

How about giving us a decora style outlet that had the FilterLinc 'electronics' built in as part of the outlet itself?

How about an outlet strip/surge suppressor that had the FilterLinc 'electronics' built in to the housing of the outlet strip?

Or how about some of those handy 2-to-6 outlet converters that one plgs into an outlet, on which all 6 outlets are behind the built-in FilterLinc 'electronics'?

One that I also would be very please with is a minor variation on the FilterLinc which would have a male and female IEC power connector, as used by most computers. This way the FilterLinc could go directly behind the computer and be less visible.

I just took one of my filterlinks apart, and there can't be more than $4 of 'electronics' in there (3 caps, 2 chokes, a fuse on a small PCB). I'd pay $10 more for a Decora outlet or a 6 or 12 outlet outlet strip to not have to have ugly grey boxes in a lot of places.

Niels.

Edited by - niels on 09/29/2007 06:02:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  07:51:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by niels

I just took one of my filterlinks apart, and there can't be more than $4 of 'electronics' in there (3 caps, 2 chokes, a fuse on a small PCB). I'd pay $10 more for a Decora outlet or a 6 or 12 outlet outlet strip to not have to have ugly grey boxes in a lot of places.

Niels.

Thats probably closer to $2.00 in electronics and the enclosure is probably not much more than that. A wall wart costs less than $5 to manufacturer (some not all) and the amount of steel and copper far exceed the cost of the components you mentioned.

A wall outlet with filter would be similar in size to a GFCI. A manufacturer could use the outlet and housing from a GFCI and replace the guts with the filter. Not a difficult thing to do. If they can retail a GFCI for $12 they can retail an outlet filter for about that to in large quantities.

Go to Top of Page

ginigma
Average Member

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  7:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ginigma's Homepage
I'd jump on a power/surge strip with a built-in Filterlinc.

Insteon (46 devices) ^ PowerHome (698 links) ^ Logitech Harmony 880
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ginigma

I'd jump on a power/surge strip with a built-in Filterlinc.

That would void the warranty

If only some of us had the time... we could make a fortune.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to see a wider variety of color-change kit and lightpipe colors. More subtle hues would be preferable because I find the available colors too 'loud'.

I'd love to use them, but I find them less professional looking than the standard white. Maybe a mellow green, or amber, or light greenish-blue would be nice.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  1:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
Also, SINGLE COLOR OPTIONS IN BOTH LIGHT-PIPES AND KPL COLOR INSERTS

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

deckhardt

33 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm....

How about an IR bridge?
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB

I'd like to see a wider variety of color-change kit and lightpipe colors. More subtle hues would be preferable because I find the available colors too 'loud'.

I'd love to use them, but I find them less professional looking than the standard white. Maybe a mellow green, or amber, or light greenish-blue would be nice.

Actually if you go to a theater lighting store you can buy thin gel sheet material in all kinds of colors fairly cheaply. One sheet can probably do a few dozen keypadlincs.
Go to Top of Page

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  8:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I would like the following New Insteon Product:

Half Dimmable Receptacle/Outlet:

- One half, as 'always-on'.
- The Other Half, dimmable (with full "LampLinc" like capabilities built into it).
- The dimmable half should require a new special plug to fit into it which must be used as a replacement plug on your lamps. Standard plugs should not fit into the dimmable half of the outlet, so that you can not plug an appliance into it.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure a dimmable socket would be against the law. Even if you did change the plug type. Let's stick with things that can become reality.

IR Bridge
Motion Sensors
Flood Lights
Better programability.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Lutron makes a dimmable outlet. Here's some info:

http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/048085b.pdf

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com

Edited by - MikeB on 10/04/2007 07:05:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
OK, I stand corrected, it can be done. But, if you read the FAQ's in the link you gave on the Lutron device. It appears that you probably have to go through a lot of hoops to get such approval. I'm sure a company like Lutron can afford to do it. I'm also sure those devices are very $$$. (of course I'm guessing again :) )

I bet it would not be cost effecitve for a company like Smartlabs to be able to do this. I would be really nice if a company like Lutron adopted Insteon and applied it to their products though!

So, count me in! I would love to see a dimmable outlet, but for the money and time I'm sure SL would have to invest, I for one would rather live with the wall warts and get the other usefull devices.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I agree. I would rather see SmartHome invest in other products (IR bridge, thermostat, motion sensors), or even reducing the size of a LampLinc module.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

sloop
Advanced Member

USA
574 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile
i would rather see them fix the few products they already make
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!,Ceiling Fan Control!

Oh, a control that would control my light ON THE CEILING FAN, would be nice too....
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chadg

Ceiling Fan Control!...

Second that emotion!

There are tons of after-market ceiling fan remote controls out there, many of them RF. The controller/RF Receiver goes into the canopy of the fan. Why can't someone make an Insteon version of same?

My take is that the device should have two Insteon addresses, one for the fan and one for the attached light, so that the two can be operated independently. On/Off/Bright/Dim for the light is obvious. The fan could either use On/Off/Bright/Dim where Bright/Dim increase/decrease the fan speed, or SmartHome could add something like High/Medium/Low commands to the Insteon protocol. I think it would be a huge seller--I'll take three.

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
Go to Top of Page

geogecko
Average Member

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  9:24:49 PM  Show Profile
PIR Wireless Motion Detector (could have been said before, but I'm probably not going to read 22 pages of posts any time soon).

I'd like to use one of these near the porch, and have the entry lights come on for several minutes upon detecting someone outside.

-Jason
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  5:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Now that the wireless x10/Insteon bridge exits there really is not much need for a direct Insteon version.

http://www.smarthome.com/31276.html

You can now simply use the x10 motion sensor (which are cost effective, small and work very well) and do exactly what you want.

There is NO automated fan switch that I know of on any technology. I think it would be a great seller.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  03:59:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Now that the wireless x10/Insteon bridge exits there really is not much need for a direct Insteon version.

Have you actually used that device? From posts I've read it doesn't seem as straightforward as it might seem, and people have had mixed results.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  09:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I have not used it. I use a WGL 800 wirelss reciever. It picks up all x10 wireless transmitions and feed them into my home automation system that runs HomeSeer. It is a great solution.

Too bad to hear about that device, seems like a pretty simple concept to get right....
Go to Top of Page

gregjsmith
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  6:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit gregjsmith's Homepage
quote:
There is NO automated fan switch that I know of on any technology. I think it would be a great seller.

Compose CCWHISP X10 ceiling fan controller. Specifically designed to work with ceiling fans.

http://www.greginthedesert.net/
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  7:58:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gregjsmith

quote:

Compose CCWHISP X10 ceiling fan controller. Specifically designed to work with ceiling fans.

I cant seem to find these. Do you know where to buy them?
Go to Top of Page

gregjsmith
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit gregjsmith's Homepage
I dont know if they are still being made, they were pretty expensive when i bought my first one.. Worthington might have them. They also show up on ebay now and then.

Go to Top of Page

WayneW
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by digger
quote:
Originally posted by gregjsmith
quote:

I cant seem to find these. Do you know where to buy them?

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=87
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  08:04:32 AM  Show Profile
I had goolged them and ony came up with tech infomration from worthington. I then tried Lightoliers sight and nothing.

THANKS Wayne.
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:11:07 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a version of the PLM that is just a gateway with no internal links or Insteon address. The PLC needed these things because it was designed to work in stand alone mode but there is no value in having the PLM be a bottleneck for full time controllers and software. Software and controller manufacturers have to resort to partial link schemes or custom versions of the PLM with more memory in order to address the link limitations of the current PLM. It also does not make sense that if the PLM needs to be swapped for some reason that the link tables in a hundred (or more) Insteon devices have to be editied to reflect the new PLM address. PCs and hardware controllers have the capacity for unlimited link tables and the ability to manage the address of the Insteon controller... Having these functions in the PLM rather than the controller/software seems like a huge handicap holding back the development of new and better insteon controllers.

Edited by - upstatemike on 10/16/2007 09:12:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jeffry Dwight
Average Member

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  7:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Mike! But don't hold your breath. I think SmartHome is refusing to do this because you could use such a device to snoop on a neighbor's installation. One of the "security" features of Insteon is that you need to know the hardware address of the devices you're controlling. If they made a PLM that provided promiscuous mode, you'd be able to discover hardware addresses just by listening to the traffic.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of security they call "security through obscurity," which means absolutely no security at all from someone who's determined to break in. There are only 16777215 possible Insteon addresses, and in reality, they're assigning them from the bottom up so the realm of likely numbers is much smaller. It would probably only take a week or two of banging away with random numbers to find a device, and from there, you could spider.

Not to mention ... it's just powerline modulation without encryption, and the frequency is known. If someone *really* wants to break in and monitor or usurp control, a decent lab could make short work of it (especially with a PLM to take apart for clues).

Nevertheless, don't hold your breath. X10 had *no* security at all, and Insteon was designed to remedy that shortcoming. I don't see SmartHome changing their tune anytime soon.

One practical question remains: What Insteon ID would you assign to your computer? Without SmartHome to allocate IDs, you run the risk of duplicating an existing hardware device, or your neighbor's computer (if the example says 12.34.56, isn't that what half the idiots in the world will use?).

You can always take apart a PLM, find out what chips they're using, and try to build your own that operates in promiscuous mode. Sounds like a lot of work to me, for not much gain. The existing PLMs, once they fix the limitation on link table size, and pretty transparent to your application. They don't do anything except filter by ID and format the traffic.
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see lightbar color change kits in the same colors as the switch paddles. That way you could block LEDs you don't want to see... For example: Block the OFF LED in a bedroom or Block the lightbar LEDs and only have the OFF LED in a location where you want a more conservative ICON look.
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  1:03:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by upstatemike

I would like to see lightbar color change kits in the same colors as the switch paddles. That way you could block LEDs you don't want to see... For example: Block the OFF LED in a bedroom or Block the lightbar LEDs and only have the OFF LED in a location where you want a more conservative ICON look.

I think an ICON paddle would fit on a switchlinc. That would accomplish what you want correct in the second example?

Edited by - digger on 10/20/2007 1:08:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

gregjsmith
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit gregjsmith's Homepage
Have you ever taken off a paddle switch? Take one off and you will see that you could easily over the LEDs with some colored or opaque tape and put the paddle back on.

quote:
Originally posted by upstatemike

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page