Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

joshuahelm
Average Member

93 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit joshuahelm's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by smileretro

how about a 2way x10 code to insteon translator pim, which would convert insteon signals to x10 equivilent avanced code, and the reverse. this would allow the use of x10 controllers via its PIM to plug into the translator and the RF reliabilty of the insteon network.

Hmm, wasn't there a program for the old PLC you could upload that did that?

--
- Josh

Insteon Explorer - Simple scene & device management, and it's free!
www.forefronttechnologiesinc.com/insteonexplorer
Go to Top of Page

Brannon

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  10:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brannon's Homepage
I would like to see a multi-zone audio interface. And a docking station for an Ipod.

Brannon
Go to Top of Page

clark21236
Average Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Motion detectors.
Go to Top of Page

scotto
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Motion detectors.
I find it unacceptible that the motion detector solution has not been launched yet.
I know about the X-10 solution, but I want a simple Insteon solution. I simply can justify buying anymore insteon equipment until the motion detector hole has been plugged. I urge others to do the same.
Go to Top of Page

traviskleckner

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  06:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Send traviskleckner an ICQ Message
I've often thought the Insteon alarm clock would be the holy grail of morning automation. I like to have the furnace kick on a half hour before I get up in the winter...having it connected to my alarm clock so on those days I get up earlier I don't freeze my ass off would be fabulous.

I think it should also be able to trigger when you turn the alarm off, that way if you decide to snooze a few minutes, it would only trigger lights when you have it off (say the 9 minute sunrise program on the bathroom lights). I've got a button on my control link programmed for this and Powerhome handles the rest.

There are so many things that could be set to start based on your wake up time.

quote:
Originally posted by AD8BC

I had an idea for an alarm clock, but it may be more for the ISY..... The alarm clock could remotely set two or three alarm times in the ISY that could be used as program triggers. So you could set an alarm at night and set what the alarm does in the ISY.

It would be much more convenient than getting into the ISY every time you wanted to change your wake-up time.

And I guarantee you that a Federal 350 alarm horn connected to an appliancelinc will wake you up.

Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see an option to have KeypadLinc buttons blink so they could be used as alert indicators. For example: I would like to have a blinking keypadlinc button to alert me that the garage door is open.

This feature could be limited to secondary buttons and set using dim commands for different blink rates. 50% = 1 second on 1 second off, 20% = 2 short blinks per second, etc. On and Off would remain as is for use in regular lighting scene control.

Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  2:11:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by upstatemike

I would like to see an option to have KeypadLinc buttons blink so they could be used as alert indicators. For example: I would like to have a blinking keypadlinc button to alert me that the garage door is open.

This feature could be limited to secondary buttons and set using dim commands for different blink rates. 50% = 1 second on 1 second off, 20% = 2 short blinks per second, etc. On and Off would remain as is for use in regular lighting scene control.

Can you do this with the ISY and make the button a scene and toggle it on and off if your stargate or ELK shows the door open after a certian time period or time of day?

Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  5:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it would be a good idea to use an ISY to flash a seconday KeypadLinc button because of the constant powerline traffic that would generate. I am looking to send a single dim command to start the button blinking and a standard Off (or On) command to stop it.

Edited by - upstatemike on 05/24/2008 5:51:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I don't think it would be a good idea to use an ISY to flash a seconday KeypadLinc button because of the constant powerline traffic that would generate. I am looking to send a single dim command to start the button blinking and a standard Off (or On) command to stop it.

Sorry I forgot of that limitation of the mesh.

Edited by - digger on 05/25/2008 08:38:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  11:45:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bmil

Provide for an Insteon command to just flash an individual button's LED. Then a KeyPadLinc could also function as a "status panel" for a home automation system without any special wiring. I.e. colored lighted buttons for garage door open/closed, sensor tripped, greenhouse temperature alert, etc. Obviously it already has a "flash button X LED" as it does this when a button is put into linking mode. Just think something like this would greatly increase the possible uses for this product.

Just noticed this was already requested back in November of 2006
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  5:49:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bmil

Provide for an Insteon command to just flash an individual button's LED. Then a KeyPadLinc could also function as a "status panel" for a home automation system without any special wiring. I.e. colored lighted buttons for garage door open/closed, sensor tripped, greenhouse temperature alert, etc. Obviously it already has a "flash button X LED" as it does this when a button is put into linking mode. Just think something like this would greatly increase the possible uses for this product.

Just noticed this was already requested back in November of 2006

Any day now then......
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  07:38:29 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a change to the protocol regarding cleanup commands. Instead of abondoning cleanup commands when a new group or direct command is detected, I would like to see the device just pause the cleanup command proceess and then resume after a preset delay. I would like to see all queued cleanup commands eventually executed and not abandon anything unless the backlog gets too large to manage.
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  07:48:49 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see an ethernet access point. This device would receive both powerline and wireless Insteon signals and send them to other ethernet access points whose IP addresses are stored in its linke tabl. This would allow Insteon devices to be cross-linked over the Internet so that a keypad in your main house will directly control a light in your vacation house. And the keypad button will correctly display the status of the light if somebody at the vacation house controls the light locally.

Linking could be done using the tap-tap method if there is somebody at each location to push the buttons, or by using an ISY-99 or similiar controller the links could all be managed from one location.
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I would like to see an ethernet access point. This device would receive both powerline and wireless Insteon signals and send them to other ethernet access points whose IP addresses are stored in its linke tabl. This would allow Insteon devices to be cross-linked over the Internet so that a keypad in your main house will directly control a light in your vacation house. And the keypad button will correctly display the status of the light if somebody at the vacation house controls the light locally.

Linking could be done using the tap-tap method if there is somebody at each location to push the buttons, or by using an ISY-99 or similiar controller the links could all be managed from one location.

This is a great idea. Perhaps two ISY's could be linked via VPN and can access/monitor both systems seemlessly.
Go to Top of Page

kofther

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  6:23:34 PM  Show Profile
How about an OutletLinc that can handle more than 480W. That's not many holiday lights. Also how about making the SwitchLinc handle 1500W. A 15A module is the last X-10 in my home. Why are the loads Insteon modules can handle so low?

Jim
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  10:57:26 PM  Show Profile
A Heavy Duty 220v 20A OUTLET.

Not an appliance module. Not a bridge device. An outlet.

Something to replace the 20A outlet that my large A/C plugs into.
Go to Top of Page

Ottermator
Average Member

70 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see:

Wireless, battery-operated, Insteon RF I/O module the size of the new Insteon Motion Detector or smaller.
Go to Top of Page

Trevor
Average Member

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Trevor's Homepage
Great suggestion, Ottermator. If you had to choose: which is more important, the I or the O?

Trevor
Smarthome.....making life more convenient, safe and fun. http://www.smarthome.com
Share your wisdom on the Smarthome Wiki: http://wiki.smarthome.com
Go to Top of Page

Quixote1

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  5:22:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Great suggestion, Ottermator. If you had to choose: which is more important, the I or the O?

That's a tough choice. If I may weigh in on this, I would say that the I is more important, since you could just use an appliance link for a home-brewed solution for the Out for most things. Often it is more tricky (ie. more space constraints / no access to an outlet) for the In. An example would be door sensors that can read whether the door is open or closed like the X10 DS10a device. Of course, if the RF signals have no security then I fail to see what the point would be in upgrading to Insteon for that.
(Speaking of security, I still have not received any reply to my question pertaining to the security of the new Insteon Motion Sensors).

Edited by - Quixote1 on 07/17/2008 5:24:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

ResIpsa
Average Member

64 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I don't have the stomach to wade through 28 pages of posts.

Since it looks like RF is the hot topic at the moment, how about an RF temperature sensor? Especially one with a wired sensor, such as for a pool or hot tub? That would make me very, very happy.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

JasonWPB

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see the following enhancement to KeypadLinc:

A state of "blink" for the KPL buttons.

This would be especially useful for buttons that serve as triggers for events or as information lights.

Several Applications:
1. Event scheduling and control. Suppose a KPL button controls a software-controlled event. If the event is timed, the button light can be set to blink for the duration of the event or the lead-up to the event -- as an "event-pending" indicator.
2. Sprinkler scheduling and control. I set a KPL button to light up on days in which the sprinkler will activate (that night). This allows us to simply deactivate the sprinkler if it we don't think the lawn needs to be watered. Thus, if the light is off, the sprinkler won't activate (I handle this in Homeseer). I'd like to have the same button indicate that the sprinkler is running -- by blinking.
3. A blinking KPL button would indicate the failure of some condition that a PC-hosted system has detected. For example, suppose the software fails to confirm the intended status of a switch. The blinking would indicate the failure.
4. Parents could use it to monitor a switch or outlet in a child's room.
5. Motion detector could blink the KPL button that controls the lights in a room. This would save the use of lights or a dedicated KPL button for a motion detector.

Edited by - JasonWPB on 08/10/2008 11:20:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sub-Routine
Advanced Member

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sub-Routine's Homepage
I think a regular blinking would get annoying very quickly.

Now if the button emulated a flame...

Rand
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to see a surge strip with a FilterLinc built-in.

Also, maybe a LampLinc/ApplianceLinc with a FilterLinc built-in for the pass-through plug.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

d_l
Average Member

105 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  4:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Something I would like to see is the PowerdrawLinc that could sense on/off power draw of devices plugged into it.

There are many devices that have built-in intelligence or controllers and they do not take kindly to being automated by Insteon devices, yet they could work in concert with other Insteon-controlled devices if the Insteon network was aware of their operating state.

For example, the motor in your furnace shouldn't be controlled by an ApplianceLinc, but if it could be plugged into a PowerdrawLinc that sensed when the motor was running, then other Insteon-controlled devices such as ceiling fans could be powered on to help circulate the warm air. Another example might be the current sensing of a lamp for those people that insist on turning on lamp switches and not some Insteon control button. The power up of the lamp would be sensed and be a signal to power up all the other Insteon-controlled lighting in a room.

It seems that the ApplianceLincs and LampLinc aren't too far from this concept. They have current sensing circuitry (local control) and they can be programmed to send a signal when local control is activated, albeit it is an X10 signal.
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by d_l

Something I would like to see is the PowerdrawLinc that could sense on/off power draw of devices plugged into it.

There are many devices that have built-in intelligence or controllers and they do not take kindly to being automated by Insteon devices, yet they could work in concert with other Insteon-controlled devices if the Insteon network was aware of their operating state.

For example, the motor in your furnace shouldn't be controlled by an ApplianceLinc, but if it could be plugged into a PowerdrawLinc that sensed when the motor was running, then other Insteon-controlled devices such as ceiling fans could be powered on to help circulate the warm air. Another example might be the current sensing of a lamp for those people that insist on turning on lamp switches and not some Insteon control button. The power up of the lamp would be sensed and be a signal to power up all the other Insteon-controlled lighting in a room.

It seems that the ApplianceLincs and LampLinc aren't too far from this concept. They have current sensing circuitry (local control) and they can be programmed to send a signal when local control is activated, albeit it is an X10 signal.

Actually the current sensing has a lot of applications. Lets say you leave a clothes iron, coffee pot, electric heater on when you leave the house. The current sense could be noted by the ISY as an example. So when you arm your alarm away the ISY would be programmed to shut these devices off if they are on. If you dont have an alarm you could have a keypad button by the door to tell the ISY you are leaving or coming home and shut the devices off if they are on. You could also check their status over the internet etc.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB

I'd like to see a surge strip with a FilterLinc built-in.

I would buy a couple of those.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  1:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I love the load sensing idea.

Keypadlinc improvement: Only turn the light of the keypad on/off when the keypad actualy gets the confirmation that the linked device got the command.

Example: I have my whole house fans in the attic pluged into appliance modules. There is a keypadlinc in the hallway. Once in a while the fan does not actually go on/off, but the status light will always change. This is very annoying and my wife does not understand how the status light can be on, but the fan off. Very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

Quixote1

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by d_l

Go to Top of Page

JasonWPB

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Ceiling Fan Kit:

Perhaps this has been suggested already:

An all-in-one ceiling fan module that would take a single circuit to the ceiling fan and control two loads (fan + light) separately. This would preferably be done on the same switch with a dimmer on both. The InlineLinc is close to this, but the problem is that you need two of them plus two dimmer switches (4 total units) to control this. In the ceiling fan kit, I would hope that you could get two units (a switch and an inline unit) that control as above.

The key is having a small InlineLinc-like device that is installed at the ceiling fan that controls two loads (light and fan). There are RF products from Hampton Bay that put a transmitter switch in the wall and a receiver/distributor at the ceiling fan (it is small enought to tuck into the cap at the ceiling).

The application that I have described is the ceiling fan. There might be others that would benefit from having a single line control two loads. Having separate control of fan and light in scenes is a must.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11475 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  7:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by d_l

I have a ControLinc and a LampLinc plugged into a Smart Strip Power Strip with no problems. The ControLinc reliably sends INSTEON commands (ON/OFF, Bright/Dim) to other devices and the LampLinc can be controlled remotely as well. No FilterLinc needed so, apparently, it's INSTEON friendly. http://bitsltd.net/ConsumerProducts/index.htm

BTW, my other (now unused) surge suppressors did need a FilterLinc.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page